oldlineman

Wonder if it makes a difference

oldlineman

I was just wondering if it was better for the motor mowing a bank one way over the other way.A little late to ask this question after mowing both ways 30 plus years with two tractors.First one 1989 414-8 with engine M14s, spec.# 601540, ser.# 19xx110353, 48" SD the other a 1979 c-101 enginek241as, spec# 46766d, ser.#9708719 , 42" SD. Motor oil gets changed every 25 hours with Rotella HD 30.Just wondered what the motor guys and gals think. Bank is about 60 feet long and just 12 to15 feet up and down.Thanks for your opinions. I guess in a way I have already proven that it really doesn't  matter, no motor problems over the years. It is more stable up and down the hill, tires are loaded with fluid, no problem with traction. Thanks all,( It's amazing what you think about when you have spare time).    :wacko:

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

Edited by oldlineman
  • Like 3

953 nut

Being splash lubricated it is preferable to mow up and down on steep slope.

• Like 4

oldlineman

Thats what I was thinking, both main crank bearings would be well lubricated then. Thank you 953 nut for your thoughts. Bob

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It is probably safer to go up and down also.  :think:  Some of that looks a little steep. 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

You could also go on an angle and split the baby. I usually alternate patterns to avoid wheel ruts...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

oldlineman

Yes it is Steve when going along the hill you have to shift your weight up the hill on the fender for stability. Easier by the way when younger than older.:o  Bob

• Like 3