Razkid

Onan P220 vavle spring tool?

Razkid

What type of a spring compressor does anyone use on an Onan P220 engine? I ended up using a screwdriver to compress the spring to get the keepers out but that doesn't work well to get them back in. Your need three hands and five eyes! I tried an old C type and a Sunnen screw type compressor but they both hit the screw boss for the cover screw before the valve tip is exposed enough to put the keepers in.

Spring Compressor.jpg

joel_400

K line p/n 3012 is the one I use for small engines. The absolute best I have found! Kinda pricey but we'll worth it.

joel

Razkid

Thanks Joel but that's out of my price range for a one time use though! I do like your cover photo! I have a couple of Model A's out in the garage. I found this one on Amazon and hope it works!

Spring Compressor2.GIF

953 nut

Have you checked with your auto parts stores to see if they rent/lend the type compressor you need. I know that our local Advance Auto lends out a lot of tools you don't need to own. I send all of my "can I borrow" friends there.  :ychain:

Razkid

Yes, I tried them but they didn't have one for small engines. Thanks for the reply!

• Like 1

GMan

Razkid,

I use one (like you have pictured) on my Onans everytime I tear one down and it works just fine. They are a little tricky to get the end adjustments right for the spring diameter and the Roto-cap diameter but after using them a couple of times you get used to doing it.........Good luck with yours..........................Gary

Razkid

The spring compressor arrived from Amazon and it works great. $32 well spent!

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Photo?

953 nut
5 hours ago, Mastiffman said:

Photo?

On 4/12/2017 at 3:28 PM, Razkid said:

Thanks Joel but that's out of my price range for a one time use though! I do like your cover photo! I have a couple of Model A's out in the garage. I found this one on Amazon and hope it works!

Spring Compressor2.GIF

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Okay, wasn't sure if that was the actual one being referred to. Thanks for clarifying. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I guess when I buy I will have to make sure that I get my use out of it and continue to restore more engines back to their optimal state. Keep them in the loop of time. 

I don't know what it is about the Onan engines. They are just a fun engine to work with and I really love their sound. I remember almost 25 years ago I worked for the University of Michigan Dearborn grounds maintenance department along with my Dad. For three years I used these two 3 wheeled utility carts that he turned into a dump cart for transportation of mulch and small brush items across the campus... They both had VERY Distinctive engine sounds. Turns out that they were both Onan Engines that had manual transmission and could go about 35 mph... I will never forget those summers working there. So the memory of that time kind of lives on through these engines with me... ;) MY dad has been a big mechanical influence in my life on many ways. So for that I'm thankful!

Edited by Mastiffman
  • Like 1

Lagersolut
On 4/16/2017 at 9:28 AM, Razkid said:

The spring compressor arrived from Amazon and it works great. $32 well spent!

I love Amazon ( prime )  - whenever I'm searching for anything the reviews/ratings are right there and you can for the most part tell if it's working for other folks. 2 days it's here.

Duramax7man7

This afternoon I bolted a couple of open ended box wrenches to a long bolt with the spring end wrench a bit loose to be able to move and then used a small metal 12" clamp to close the wrenches together to compress the spring to remove the valves. Had to use a small set of vise grips to keep the spring end of the clamp in place . It worked but was a lot to keep all aligned and was barely able to put the spring locks back in... Was a son of a gun to do. lol

So, I ordered this one... Not sure how well it will work. but it shouldn't be too hard on it as the springs are heavy duty. It does 1" to 1 3/16" springs. Should be a decenty little small engine tool. It was only $18 shipped through Prime.

Valve_Spring_Compressor41r_IMw_M7-_ML.jp

Razkid

Good luck with that one Mastiffman! I thought I got a good deal but you got a steal, if it works. The C type that I have hits the screw boss so hopefully the one you bought is a little thinner where it fits around the spring retainer. Let us know if it works for you.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

I will keep that in mind when I come to it. Currently battling a broken head bolt. What PIA. Tried everything from three attempts at welding nuts, melted wax into threads, work back and forth. Nothings working. Boring out the hole now. Busted the table height bolt on my drill press though too. Looks to be a grade 3-5 bolt. Smh. Might have to go through a few bits on this one. Tried a tao out. NOPE!? Broke off in the bolt. Got that out. Lowest speed on the drill press and still cooked a couple of bits. Tried a cobalt bit and that did real well. But didnt make it all the way down before the press table started dropping. Tried to tighten. Boom. Bolt broke.... try again when fixed and I "cool down"... smh. 

Razkid

I feel your pain! :-( That's the kind of luck I've been having lately too! Simple jobs turn out to be nightmares. :no:

• Like 1

6wheeler

I just use my C type small engine compressor (KD). One tip I like to share. Put a piece of paper towel or something in the bottom of the valve pockets over the drain hole. Those sneaky valve retainers find a very quick route to the bottom of the governor case... I don't know how I know that :snooty:.      Good Luck

• Like 1