Duramax7man7

Onan P Series Governor Ball Replacement Procedure.

bc.gold

That timing gear came from a generator engine that uses 10 flyweights our tractor engines running at 3600 rpm use 5 balls. I just posted the image for reference to the different styles of timing gears and retainers that Onan used.

Thumbs up to the OP, excellent thread.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 2

TC10284

Does anyone have a part number or know where I can find the gasket for the governor cover? Have checked ebay already. 

bc.gold

Using a small 3/4 ounce ball peen I tap out my own gaskets as needed, after tapping in a hole insert a bolt to keep the gasket material in place. If your local Napa does not stock the gasket material they'll order it in for you, just make sure to get a thickness your able to work with.

The small ball peen works best and you can use a large ball bearing to shear the edges around any holes that need be.

Save your crops they'll come in handy when you need a small gasket for a fuel pump.

I've used tar paper felt and even record album covers to make gaskets.

ball.png

Edited by bcgold

lynnmor

Call Boomer to get the parts and information you need.

Duramax7man7

Hey Gang... Sorry I haven't chimmed much at all since making this thread. So Glad peple are getting use out of it. 

To my know you have to typically purchase the Camshaft Gear, Flyball spacer and the Plate that goes behind it all together. I don't see a part number on Partstree dot com for just the spacer. So combing we-bay is the best option or contact Lincoln at A-Z tractors out of PA... He has a ton of stuff. 

There was also an older fella in Ohio named Carl Bowles that has a couple huge pole barns FULL from top to bottom of parts. I;ve been there and he has shelves and drawers and boxes literally overflowing with parts. Basically anything and everything you could ever need all wheelhorse stuff. 

If you need either of these above contact number, shoot me a PM and I'll fire it off your way. 

The idea of trying to lock the spacer to the cam is a god idea obviously but if there was a way to put a sleeve pin in it of some sort or for a stronger more durable fashioning, add something to the end of one of ears, like was stated already... Even if it were possible to drill some shallow holes into the collar of the cam gear that the spacer sits on would help to lock the sapcer with the use of some 2 part epoxy... 

I think that the main killer of that plastic spacer is the heat cycling for sure. But when the unit gets extra hot because it's not regularly maintained by blowing out the shroud or flat out removing it a couple of times a year (which is fairly easy to do), it will cause premature failure. Obviously they will eventually fail but keeping it as cool as possible is probably the best practice to it's longevity. 

I have used the gasket paper with great success as well. 

Toro Gearcase gasket #:
Toro 71-6360 (replaces NN10019)
https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/41-20oe01-520-h-toro-520-h-garden-tractor-1990/gearcase-and-ignition-controls/

Edited by Mastiffman
  • Like 1