farmer

Something...'different'.

farmer

MY MATE THE PUMP GURU. 

When thoughts turned to what pump I would need for this machine I soon realised I was gonna need help. The online company that supplied the lift rams were first choice, they had a comprehensive selection of hydraulic components, reasonably priced and generally seemed to 'know their onions'. 

I spoke with a fellow called Steven, and he knew his stuff, he wanted to know ram bores and strokes, expected cycle times, tank capacity. He entered all this kind of info into his spreadsheet  calculator and promptly told me I would need a hydraulic tank 3x the size or an oil cooler. I explained that this was a hobby build  

and as such would not be used like a comercial loader. With reservations he recommended a pump, 22lts/min operated at 3600rpm, would give (with my rams)  a lift/lower time of approximately 4.5 seconds. And because I planned on using one cylinder for the bucket, 60x30x500x700 this would operate faster through its cycle. 

All that was left was to specify direction of rotation, It was up to me to source a vee belt pulley of the correct size, so just match the pto pulley for a 1:1. I was also going to need a valve chest, that was pretty straight forward so ordered that at the same time. 

With the pump sorted time to make a mount.... tomorrow.  :)

• Like 3

farmer

Yes 953nut, I did go into PSOC's they aren't too expensive and could be incorporated in my build but to be effective the element would have to be placed in front of the flywheel fly screen, which could quite easily be done. I suppose it's the look of the thing, combined with the intensity of work I intend to use it for which put me off. Having said all that if I find that the  oil does start running 'hot', it's something I can retro fit in the future.  :)

Defiantly pump mount tonight.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

19richie66

Something like this transmission cooler/fan setup might help. Not sure if the charging system would be up for it but you could always add a small alternator to the mix. Seeing your work, I am positive you could do it! :thumbs:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/13750/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710780591&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=44693592161&CATCI=pla-210019240391&CATARGETID=230006180039217235&cadevice=m&gclid=CL_u8Yfgt9MCFREoaQodrr0Jgg

19richie66

Fantastic file work! Looks great.

• Like 2

JPWH

Looking good farmer. I like your adjustable pump mount. 

• Like 1

Texas Todd

I am more impressed every day!  Keep up the good work! :banana-rock:

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Lookin Good Sushi Lover!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

farmer

Thanks once again loader fans, wow, now I'm getting boogeying bananas! :lol:

IMG_0739.thumb.JPG.f64d16093e3db129042b01a70316e1ac.JPG

A little picture clue for tonight, anybody want to hazard a guess?

• Like 3

Texas Todd
11 hours ago, farmer said:

Thanks once again loader fans, wow, now I'm getting boogeying bananas! :lol:

IMG_0739.thumb.JPG.f64d16093e3db129042b01a70316e1ac.JPG

A little picture clue for tonight, anybody want to hazard a guess?

I'll bite. Those are the pieces that you are going to weld or bolt to something to make it work better....

At least you didn't have a little tidbit in the background to completely throw me off like in the beginning! :ROTF:

• Like 2

HorseFixer

I'm gonna say Bucket Brackets!  B)

• Like 1

JPWH

Maybe hood stand braces.

• Like 1

farmer

Talk about vague Texas....:lol: with an answer like that your gonna be right, you a politician? :)

And Horsefixer, you've go buckets on the brain, :) l reckon your a little jealous of that steel, having to wait on yours.  :ychain:

IMG_0739.thumb.JPG.b0958b312c89a2f5cfd4e2978fb0d316.JPG

Bit cruel really, such a weird build who would guess bonnet supports..

IMG_0740.thumb.JPG.70b0bdfbada917887ca3568ac8774581.JPG

Even though the frame had been lengthened beyond the steering axle 230mm, the bonnet was still going to be to long. This was because when the driver sat back in the seat it went down and back some more. 

This picture is taken with the seat folded forward, but you can see I've clamped a pry bar to show the area that has to be open to allow the seat to move. 

IMG_0741.thumb.JPG.784fc7067cd4a73fd9aff6c2f6a2b537.JPG

consequently this is what I cut these steels for. Basically somewhere for the bonnet to latch down onto. 

IMG_0742.thumb.JPG.85fd2d23497e441be420b9097985cd4c.JPG

The only slight problem was the engines dipstick, but l got lucky again and had just enough clearance. The bonnet has a slight curve so l shaped the top bar to match. 

IMG_0743.thumb.JPG.eae4b154cddf0b8ef398f6779e1fea27.JPG

Bonnet down showing the excess, marker pen inside on the top and outside on the sides. 

IMG_0744.thumb.JPG.8b0ef4a5e71e0e7603453d2aa03c157d.JPG

Cut made, now I have a stumpy new bonnet.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  I saved the offcut, to be used later, forward of the steering tower. 

Time for me cocoa...:coffee:

• Like 9

roadapples

When I hear bonnet, I think of Foghorn Leghorn`s girl friend   :ROTF:

• Like 4

farmer

Just can't quite bring myself to call it a 'hood'...it's almost like we live in different countries.. :rolleyes:

• Like 9

AMC RULES

Might be why. 

Image result for foghorn leghorn's girlfriend

• Like 5

farmer

IMG_1303.JPG.2eff5619565ad3d5c5e40bcafbac682a.JPG

like I say Craig, it's almost like we live in different countries.  :ychain:

(from hot fuzz) :ph34r:

Edited by farmer
  • Like 2

roadapples

Sorry farmer, should have known better..  but great build...

• Like 1

farmer

Absolutely no offence taken, ;) I loved looney tunes as a kid, would still watch it now given the chance.   :D

• Like 3

farmer

Little episode tonight, which I am creatively calling..... Belt guard hack. 

IMG_0746.thumb.JPG.7e227a5ca2ef7416e0770634eae246ac.JPG

Doing a silly thing like making the machine longer means having to stretch a few things, case in point the belt guard. No worries however for I had cunningly run the belt inside the seatbox. 

IMG_0753.thumb.JPG.611deaaa20c1596803ac4b4ec2d9e347.JPG

starting at at the back, having bolted the guard up to the engine, mark and cut the guard with enough 'lap' to secure it to the inside of the seatbox back leg. 

A few little cuts later and the transmission end bolts up, but it's not quite long enough so I had to fab up a piece about 75mm to reach the front seatbox leg, with a bit of filler I hope it won't be too noticeable. (note every farmers best friend, baling string). 

IMG_0754.thumb.JPG.f93ba8622a48c12c0b7c102d6d7f36b0.JPG

Using the string to trace the route of the new longer belt, showed that the guides would have to be moved. I drilled two pilot holes through the covers into the legs, and secured with a couple of self tapping bolts. Belt guard done....running out of things to do!

• Like 7

woodchuckfarmer

Been watching this build and I have to say you have all your marbles in one bag.  Good work and planning.        Wayne

• Like 4

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, woodchuckfarmer said:

Been watching this build and I have to say you have all your marbles in one bag.  Good work and planning.        Wayne

I read this two, three times and kept coming back to it as though I just had to say something about the "marbles in one bag".  I certainly think there is an extraordinary amount of talent shown here!  A high level of skill!  And knowledge!  Tools and equipment!  But "marbles in one bag"?  "Something...'different'"?

Don't know but I keep coming back to this and reading it...B) 

I've GOT to see the end!  Vibrating massage seat with heat I bet!

• Like 2

farmer

Thanks for that woodchuckfarmer, when the marbles are in the one bag I'm ok, as I get older when one falls out it's getting harder to remember where to find it again. :huh:

And what can I say Dennis, we seem to be back to your a#se again, :lol: I can assure you however there will be... no heated massaging air cushioned vibrating crocodile skinned seat! :o  there will also be... no safety switches or back up bleepers or any other unessesary electronic gizmo that in my daily life I have to endure.  :P

Thanks for the complement,  it's not rocket science it's pretty crude stuff really and l'm pleased your following along.  :thumbs:

• Like 7

Lee1977

Farmer you must have a big cat. That's one h-ll of a litter box you have to clean out behind the building. :D

• Like 4