Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

John Deere 430 Customized

T-Mo

It has way too much junk on it for me, which is just as well as I heard it's on ebay for......$28,000. :thumbs:

KyBlue

Somebody REALLY wanted a bigger Tractor eh?

btw - too much stuff for me too,

TJ

It's only $27,500.00 off from my budget.

gd.pudge

what would you do with it?

T-Mo

what would you do with it?

Well, if I had it, I would remove all that junk and find some attachments for it and use it. Those old diesel powered 430's were awesome tractors - one of the best. :thumbs:

Nick

I used a 430 with the 48" tiller to work down a yard. Have to say they are nice tractors and one I wouldnt mind owning. Dont know what year his was but he picked it up used before I borrowed it 20 years ago and he still has it today.

T-Mo

Nick,

The 430 was made from 1984 to 1992. It was basically a 420 with a diesel engine. Here's an excerpt from wfm on the 420 and 430:

The Model 420 and 430

For eight years, the 400 ruled as monarch over the Deere Lawn and Garden line. Thankfully it did not suffer the same growing pains that the 300 series did. In 1983, Deere replaced the 400 with an all-new design; the 420. It was quieter, stronger, and had a few more features than the 400 it replaced. As with the 400, it was an immediate success. Features included:

* Two-cylinder 20 horsepower Onan B48G air cooled engine with cast iron cylinder liners

* First use of annunciator lights incorporated into dash panel.

* Electromagnetic clutch for both front and rear PTO.

* Redesigned fender deck resulting in a more "squared off" appearance with greater operator protection and comfort and a rear mounted 6.5-gallon fuel tank.

* Redesigned front axle to allow more weight bearing capacity. Replaceable spindle bushings.

* Transaxle manufactured by Tecumseh, with a Hydraulic oil cooler, two speeds, and differential lock

* True hydrostatic power steering. A first on a Lawn and Garden tractor.

* A reserve fuel tank that allowed 15-30 minutes extra operating time.

* Three spools of remote hydraulics.

The greatest contributions that the 420 brought to the table were the hydrostatic power steering and the new Onan engine. The steering allowed a turning radius of 26 inches, the same as a 318! With the 60-inch deck, three point turns were all but eliminated. The Onan engine had a long resume of commercial and industrial applications. It was quieter, and had greater torque rise than the Kohler it replaced. By this time, more compact tractors had reached the marketplace, with Deere entering it in 1979 with the 750 and the 850. These Yanmar-sourced diesels helped to fill the gap between the garden tractor line and the farm tractor line. As such, the new 420 was slightly lighter than the 400 it replaced. Emphasis was placed on operator comfort and convenience. Deere offered the following attachments:

* 50- or 60-inch mower deck with shaft drive

* 50- or 60-inch rear grooming mower

* 48-inch rotary tiller

* 54-inch front blade

* 46-inch front snow thrower

* 47-inch 2 stage snow blower

* #20 plow

* #44 front loader

In 1984, Deere introduced the 430, Deere