HorseFixer

ARK 500 LOADER REBUILD ON A 522XI

Dennys502

When you are doing the pins for the cylinders you should either weld a flag on the pin to keep it from turning or weld a bushing on each side and put a bolt through the pin.

I would do the same for the pivot on the loader arms.

2pin.jpg

1pin.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

HorseFixer
On 4/19/2017 at 0:46 PM, Dennys502 said:

When you are doing the pins for the cylinders you should either weld a flag on the pin to keep it from turning or weld a bushing on each side and put a bolt through the pin.

I would do the same for the pivot on the loader arms.

Well no metal for Fabrication yet, I was suppose to get it by this last friday,   :(  But I did get my New Clevis Pins from ZORO today. Denny somehow missed your comment on this until I was going to post tonight.   :think:   What is the purpose to keep the Pins from turning do?   ~Thanks Duke

DSCN9966.thumb.JPG.003243c00320313b238dab1d24a53947.JPG

• Like 1

Dennys502

You want the surface of the cylinder end to be the bearing surface - not the steel on the bracket holding it. If the pins rotate they will wear the hole in the bracket they go through very quickly.

This is what my loader did.

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.61c68c81fa2f6de3dd7520e0c52fbf47.JPG

DSC_0008.thumb.JPG.aa28a84edc0dc25f2b362638b187c633.JPG

Edited by Dennys502
  • Like 5

farmer

:text-yeahthat:

By securing the pin, your forcing the rotation to happen where the grease is, between bush and pin. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

HorseFixer

Well there ya go and there ya have it. :handgestures-thumbupright:   Well one thing I noticed when my Buddy delivered the 522XI and then he brought his DXI with the Kwik Way loader on it I noticed all the Grease Zerks it had. An Ark loader has -0- ZERO places to grease it. I had planned on adding Zerks wherever I can. What would happen if a guy added replaceable Steel or Bronze shoulder bushings at all pivot points? How do you guys feel about that?  :think:   Thanks ~Duke

• Like 2

roadapples

My Ark loader has zerks at all pivots...

HorseFixer
49 minutes ago, roadapples said:

My Ark loader has zerks at all pivots...

I wish mine did. Do you have a 500 or 550? My 500 was on an Early 70's GT 14

HorseFixer

Since some of my Pivot places on the uprights where the Cylinders attach may be out of round and other places maybe using Flanged Bushings like this may be used to tighten up the out of round holes. And since they are cheap enough picking up an extra set in case of wear would be an option. It would require 24 of these to do the loader or $22.00 worth, plus cost of shipping. Any Thoughts? :confusion-shrug:  ~Duke

58fc5d1b5c54d_FLANGEBEARING1.thumb.png.e3962e17cf6c92cf4b90c1b174603899.png

58fc5d24e12c6_FLANGEBEARING2.thumb.png.7a088fe66b47832a1f2c90a13e9301b1.png

JPWH

I don't have a loader but in places you can't put a grease fitting I would at least use a bushing.

Jay 

• Like 1

mmmmmdonuts

You could buy a piece of DOM steel tubing and use a zerk fitting for greasing the pin. For reference the PF engineering plans call for a 1" OD and 1/2" ID tube. If you go to small of a wall of tubing you will have to weld a nut on before you drill for the zerk for clearance purposes. 

Dennys502

I see what you are up against now. I just looked at the pics of your loader. It looks like the hole for the loader arm at the top has started to open up.

You could buy some Tubing and weld it on the ends of the cylinders. This is what you would want. https://mysteelyard.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=11278

Then you could put in grease zerks.

pins.jpg     This is how you want the top of the loader arm.

cylinder.jpg

Edited by Dennys502
  • Like 1

HorseFixer
2 hours ago, Dennys502 said:

I see what you are up against now. I just looked at the pics of your loader. It looks like the hole for the loader arm at the top has started to open up.

You could buy some Tubing and weld it on the ends of the cylinders. This is what you would want. https://mysteelyard.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=11278

Then you could put in grease zerks.

pins.jpg     This is how you want the top of the loader arm.

cylinder.jpg

Right On Denny!!  Well I just was out in the Garage and put in two Racks Of Baby Back Ribs in da Cabelas Stainless Steel Smoker For Sunday Dinner and I got all the Brothers of Da Hood eYeballing my house as they drive by. :handgestures-thumbupright:   While out there I took some pictures of my arms and Cylinders. I just ordered some Bronze Sleeves and Flange Bearings grease fittings  1/8/28 from ZORO and I will add grease fittings just as you showed. As cheap as they are heck I can replace them if need be.  I will most likely Silver Braze the Bronze Sleeves and Flanges In that way they are easy to remove with just a punch. Bronze also has the ability to grab grease and lubricant and impregnates itself with it because of its pour-us surface. I used many bronze type bearings in my 35 years as an HVAC Contractor. By the way what fancy drawing program is that?  :confusion-shrug:  I WANT IT! ;)  Thanks ~Duke

SMOKE.thumb.jpg.095839139b37bc102ac3492b0fc09dac.jpg

DSCN9977.thumb.JPG.a5d13a2412190ad4af08a1260c5444ae.JPG

DSCN9975.thumb.JPG.239ae92636b9adf9822e76d2e125e925.JPG

DSCN9971.thumb.JPG.eb11d859b3930dced2116dc34686a2b6.JPG

DSCN9968.thumb.JPG.ff896c1acd4952d68cba299d72eec749.JPG

DSCN9972.thumb.JPG.d085b420c149dc1e7dacc995adcc9143.JPG

DSCN9976.thumb.JPG.85b8724a39e30fcc118db45cd36dea5f.JPG

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 2

roadapples
10 hours ago, HorseFixer said:

I wish mine did. Do you have a 500 or 550? My 500 was on an Early 70's GT 14

Not sure what model number. It`s on a 1974 C160, and the ID tag number is 97 40FL01  05022  8342. My loader frame is square tubing with a round tube welded in for the pin. The tube goes through about a 1/2" and a large cotter key goes through the tube and pin. The zerk is in the pin itself on the outside. Pins are 5/8". My cylinders had a hole in each end, which you were supposed to oil, but I put a zerk in each of those also. This setup seems to work very well with nearly no wear. Something else to ponder....

HorseFixer
14 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Not sure what model number. It`s on a 1974 C160, and the ID tag number is 97 40FL01  05022  8342. My loader frame is square tubing with a round tube welded in for the pin. The tube goes through about a 1/2" and a large cotter key goes through the tube and pin. The zerk is in the pin itself on the outside. Pins are 5/8". My cylinders had a hole in each end, which you were supposed to oil, but I put a zerk in each of those also. This setup seems to work very well with nearly no wear. Something else to ponder....

Are the controls on the right or left as your sitting o the tractor?  :confusion-shrug:  Since I got the New Pins I think I will drill through the centers and then right angle where I want the grease to go out and then put a grease fitting in the end of the pin. For as old as my loader is, it sure isn't wollared and worn out as one would think. I figure anything I do will be better than it was. Hell I'm not building a WATCH!  :D

• Like 2

roadapples

My controls are on the left. That's the way my pins are made. I had to make one new pin. The PO had a 5/8" bolt and nut in one...

• Like 1

HorseFixer
1 minute ago, roadapples said:

My controls are on the left. That's the way my pins are made. I had to make one new pin. The PO had a 5/8" bolt and nut in one...

You my Friend have an ARK 550 Loader. My Controls are on the Right. Since yours is a lil more Beefy with a 50 lb more rating they may have decided to go the Deluxe Route by adding grease fittings who the heck knows?  :confusion-shrug:   If you looked at a Kwik Way up close next to an Ark in my opinion The Kwik Way has better features, Bigger Cylinders, Better Fittings, But Both the Ark and Kwik Ways bucket's SUCK. 

• Like 1

roadapples

I wouldn`t mind if my bucket tilted back a little more. Other than that I wouldn`t trade it for any other I`ve seen...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

HorseFixer
5 minutes ago, roadapples said:

I wouldn`t mind if my bucket tilted back a little more. Other than that I wouldn`t trade it for any other I`ve seen...:twocents-02cents:

Well I went with three Holes hold a Second Lemme Dig out my Drawing.......  Ok I made the Bucket as same as the STOCK BUCKET Except 41" Wide so it can go through my stable doors. The Back Material is 6 ga Material Plus I am adding 1/2" Stiffeners on top So I can put a HOOK for lifting things, and 1/2 knife on bottom. For the Bucket Brackets I have redesigned them with 3 holes and spread them apart so Cylinders wont touch.  So looks Like I'm gonna be your HUCKELBERRY (being it was your reply a few pages back that got me thinking) to see how this all works out.  :handgestures-thumbupright:   ~Duke

58fd001166676_BUCKETMATERIALS.png.a20f1a8c0f3c326f90fc9760df4d8826.png

58fd005d2e719_BBWIDE.png.28a65c7d0176ee79039f570d88862682.png

• Like 1

farmer

I'd be interested to know how heavy your bucket is, i plan to weigh mine along with all the other loader related items (just to frighten myself really).  :wacko: :)

• Like 2

HorseFixer
7 minutes ago, farmer said:

I'd be interested to know how heavy your bucket is, i plan to weigh mine along with all the other loader related items (just to frighten myself really).  :wacko: :)

Well soon as the Damn guy gets me my Steel I will stand it up on a scale and give you the good news!  Prolly wanna add a couple pounds for .032 wire that will be STREAMIN FROM MY STINKIN LINCOLN.  :D

• Like 1

Dennys502

The software I use is Autocad 2016. I've been using Autocad since 1992.

• Like 1

MalMac

Not sure what the therory was behinds Ark's thinking in only installing 4 greaseable  pins on the Ark 550's. That's all that mind has. Non on the cylinder pins what's so ever. I have got some bar stock to drill on the lathe and then drill and tap for grease  Zerks. 

Duke when you get done assembling your bucket I'll consider that practice for when I bring my bucket up for repair. 😂

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict
22 hours ago, HorseFixer said:

Well soon as the Damn guy gets me my Steel I will stand it up on a scale and give you the good news!  Prolly wanna add a couple pounds for .032 wire that will be STREAMIN FROM MY STINKIN LINCOLN.  :D

The 40" factory KW bucket that I replaced on my loader build project was about 110lbs.  It had some extra steel welded to it though.

The 48" CTC bucket that I bought to replace the factory KW bucket weighs 100lbs.

Before I found CTC I almost bought one of these because the seller is 5 mins away:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-48-Compact-Tractor-Bucket-/281413785304?hash=item41859196d8:g:sfwAAOSwq7JT7gHW

Those buckets weigh 150lbs

• Like 1

farmer

OMG Snowmobileaddict, 

that JD bucket looks very familiar.  B)

HorseFixer

Well yesterday I received my Bronze Bushings from ZORO and Today I received a E-Mail from my Steel Dude and I went and picked it up. I needed Some Drops and he hooked me up real good. All the pieces on the left and the large pieces under the small pieces on the right were freebies. And he told me any other drops I need are on the house. I could have brought home a bunch more steel but I didn't want to be a hog about it on the first run.

I thought I would test fit the bushings in the Bucket Brackets. I will get on Fabbing soon as I have been installing 6 more new Panels on my Solar Array so once that is finished I will be back on this project. Besides I have to give that Farmer guy time to catch up!  :ychain:

DSCN9988.thumb.JPG.0cd36230f14a3db9e1b785a919a1a4de.JPG

DSCN9989.thumb.JPG.85362283ac74092e2d51c6b6ece85c6a.JPG

DSCN9990.thumb.JPG.f7473df6c6a69d3a6702acb7a2a285c3.JPG

DSCN9991.thumb.JPG.014a3900f662cbcba34b8c50f47d253f.JPG

DSCN9994.thumb.JPG.10dcff84fff83d231622f32d2b87c1c3.JPG

DSCN9995.thumb.JPG.02df054f7ba861e9d0227b9c10aac866.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1