Sign in to follow this  
hifiwasabi

Finally, progress!

hifiwasabi

Finally got all new seals and bearings for the ol' three speed and have reassembled it all after a THOROUGH cleaning (90W and water don't mix, especially after sitting for 10 years). Not only is the transaxle leak free and smooth as silk, it actually engages in second and third gear AND has detent in first and reverse! I've bolted it back into the frame but I'm looking for an original style Tecumseh fuel tank with bracket instead of the hodge-podge setup it came with. Its sitting on blocks right now whilst I continue looking for a three bolt rim to mount to the hubs. I think I'm going to end up building my own exhaust support since the original style one that I don't have likely won't mate to the envisioned stack.

Sean

linen beige

I continue looking for a three bolt rim to mount to the hubs.

If you mean a wheel with only three lug holes, Wheel Horse didn't use them. The wheels had five holes but two were left empty.

Glad to hear the tranny came out good!

Brrly1

Now Linen, Wheel Horse did use a three wheel hub, I bet if you were to go look at your 58 rj you will notice it. I am positive that my 57rj's have three wheel hubs on them. I am guessing but your 400 probably also has them on it. You just might double check on this one. Burly :whistle::dunno::thumbs: :whistle:

jerrell

:banana: :horseplay: Now see there , that's what i like about this forum, just learned something new, three hole hubs will fit a 5 hole rims, GREAT.. :whistle: :thumbs:

Duff

John, I think Jim is differentiating between wheels and hubs. WH did use a three-hole hub, but as I understand it they bolted a five-hole wheel to the hub and just left the two holes without anything to attach to empty. :whistle:

Duff :thumbs:

kpinnc

The only 3-bolt wheels I've seen were the 8 inch ones on a 1965-1968 Lawn Ranger.

The three bolt HUBS weren't symmetrical, so any 3 bolt wheel that would fit them would be strange-looking indeed.

All I have seen are like this:

RJ35.jpg

Brrly1

OOOPPPPPSS Sorry Jim, I guess I was sleeping, this winter layoff bites. Dog wakes you up needs to go outside,ya get up let him out and sit down at the computer thinking that you know something,and oops, Ya let the cat out of the bag that you don't know what your talking about , Go back to bed and ya get a phone call from a friend that tells ya that you must have been asleep when ya made that post because they don't make three lug WHEELS just hubs of course me being me said they do make three lug hubs, he tells me to go back and read what Jim had posted which I did and know I see my screw up. Again Jim I apoligize, Sorry Burly

:whistle::whistle::dunno: :imstupid: :thumbs:

linen beige

Don't beat yourself up Burly.

Seems Wheel Horse DID use a three lug wheel on the Lawn Rangers. :thumbs: Learn something new every day.

Upon doing a little research Sean is working on a '68 Lawn Ranger and I guess he DOES need a three lug wheel.

Oh! I have the three lug HUBS and five hole WHEELS on my RJ-58, both my 400s, my 702, and my 704. Which raises a point that Sean needs to remember. If you ever replace that tranny with one from another model 'Horse you'll have to keep your current hubs. As Kevin points out, the three lug hubs used on the five hole wheels aren't symetrical and won't work with the three hole wheels.

Brrly1

Jim, Look at the time I posted. I have to teach the dog on how to sleep in!! Sorry again. Burly

linen beige

Jim, Look at the time I posted. I have to teach the dog on how to sleep in!! Sorry again. Burly

That's about a half hour before I went to bed this morning John. Only to be back up at 7:20 to help get the monsters..er little angels out the door. And got to talk to the ex-wife by 8:30. :thumbs: I feel a nap coming on.

Sean, :whistle:

Duff

And got to talk to the ex-wife by 8:30. :whistle:

Oh, man....you have our collective sympathy on THAT one!!! :whistle:

Duff :thumbs:

jerrell

:thumbs: Jim , do the three lug hubs come in 1 inch and 1 1/8,?? i just recently purchased a set of 1 in 5 hole hubs, and saw the 3 lugs hubs but thought they had to have a 3 lug wheel, they looked very strong, more metal on the houseing, than the 5 lug, so left them alone, i am a little concerned with the 1 in axel in the tranny i jus got , been reading about 1 in failure, :whistle: Oh well if it breaks i'll just put the hydro back on. :whistle:

kpinnc

i am a little concerned with the 1 in axel in the tranny i jus got

Jerrell,

I wouldn't worry about the 5 bolt hubs, 1 inch or 1 and 1/8th. As long as you keep the setscrews snug, you should have nothing to worry about on a stock tractor.

If they HAVE been abused (Keyways wallowed out, etc...), you prolly don't want to use them, but that's true for ANY of the hubs.

Kevin

TT

Oh well if it breaks i'll just put the hydro back on. :dunno:

Remind me again why you're giving up the heaviest-built hydro and hydraulic lift for a gear drive transaxle. :thumbs::whistle: :whistle:

George

I have two tractors with the 3 bolt hub. The one has a round hub with 3 holes and in mounts to a rim that has 3 holes(only). The other hub is shaped like a triangle and it has a rim with 5 holes mounted on it.

hifiwasabi

My L 108 certainly does use three hole tapered seat rear wheels, although it looks like something of a toy with tiny little wheels that are on it. I'm not opposed to doing a 5 bolt swap to gain some bigger rear (and front) wheels but since the garage is too cold I haven't done any measuring to see how big I can go. I actually like the look of the earlier lawn rangers with the small fenders so we'll see what I can come up with. I'll try posting pictures another time, been screwing around trying to fig're it out for half an hour now with no luck.

Sean

sorekiwi

I actually like the look of the earlier lawn rangers with the small fenders so we'll see what I can come up with.

These ones are Hub-less AND Bolt-less. The early Rangers have no hubs, there is a keyway cut into the wheel, and it slides directly onto the axle. If the setscrew loosens up - the wheel falls off!

IMG_1881.jpg

linen beige

:thumbs: Jim , do the three lug hubs come in 1 inch and 1 1/8,??

:whistle: Hmmm... I hate to admit this, but,....I don't know.

I can't recall ever seeing any 1 1/8 three luggers out there, but then again I didn't recall the three lug wheels either! Maybe I need to go take another nap. :whistle:

TT

Sean,

The 1968 Lawn Ranger used the 5 digit model numbers. If your tractor was recoil start it would be a 1-1631, and electric start would be 1-2631 - they were not L-108/158's.

The Lawn Rangers with the bolt on wheels used a 1" bore symmetrical wheel hub like these:

lrhub.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The old (pre-1964) asymmetrical 3 bolt hubs were 1" bore only.

(including the 3 bolt full-flange early RJ-58 hub)

The "standard" 5 bolt hubs came in 1" and 1 1/8" - some with thicker flanges, and some with two locking screws.

There were 4 also bolt hubs for the 953/1054 and GT-14 models and 6 bolt hubs for the D-160/180/200 models that were 1 1/8"

Point being - make sure you buy the correct hub(s). :thumbs:

daemon2525

TT, Are those hubs yours? I am looking for a set like that for a different project.

If they are , can you measure between two of the holes? Are they for sale?

thanks

Larry.

kpinnc

They're on (or at least were on) Ebay...

Kevin

TT

They're still on there. Link to listing.

hifiwasabi

Finally figured out how to post pictures. As you can see the one wheel face is rotten, so I am going to need another one or convert to five bolt. Also you can see the butchering done with hood.

100_0858.jpg

100_0860.jpg

100_0851.jpg

100_0850.jpg