Sign in to follow this  
all throttle no bottle

which paint to use

all throttle no bottle

I just torn down and sand blast a 1964 854 HW. to gave it a face lift. I need :dunno:

to pick out which primer and paint to use. I dont know what kind of primer would be best to use. For the paint I can get vasper IN.RED from tsc or NAPA IN.RED but napa as a couple different shade of red, or NAPA TORO RED :whistle::thumbs: . For the off white :whistle: . I like to have a good looking 854 HW..

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED

1961 surburban

1964 854

1969 raider 12 pulling

1969 raider 10

1972 commandor 8

1976 B-80

1978 c-121

Rideawaysenior

For the tractor, the earlier years used in International harvester Red. I bead blast the metal parts before priming and I am sure to use the same brand of primer as paint. It's just a quirk of mine. I feel that it's best to be brand specific, but thats just me. The bead blasting will give the metal surface a nice texture for the paint to fill and hold to. You can also use a self etching primer but I find that much more expencive. Also, I use the paint in the can and mix the hardner my self. I've done three Wheel Horses so far and have had excellent results from it.

all throttle no bottle

thanks for the help rideawaysenior.

what paint would you all use out of these-TSC INTER.RED or NAPA INTER.RED or NAPA TORO RED? I know alot of people use INTER.RED but i got some of it and it was brighter. what would look best for a show tractor. all help appreciated :thumbs:

clintonnut

We use rust-oleum regal red and for the wheels rust oleum gloss almond. Looks great and matches great.

Charlie

Attached Image

post-8-1232420297.jpg

all throttle no bottle

is that the same paint on the tractor shown in the picture?

George

I also used X-O Rust from True Value. I painted a tractor about 5 years ago and it is still bright and shiny. I am doing another tractor now with the same paint. The color used was the Regal Red but now they changed the name to International Harvester Red. For the wheels I had them mix up a quart to match the Rustoleum linen.

George

I like to withdraw my advice about the Rust Oleum Int Harvester Red. I just moved my new project from the shed to the garage next to my other tractors. It looks great but it is not RED. It is much more of an orange then I wanted.

It is the same brand and part number that I used before but it is not the same color. I am very disappointed that I did not catch this earlier.

I hope I did not screw anybody with my recommendation of this paint. :thumbs:

Country Cadillac

Just deck my mower deck today and used the regal red from rusto and it looks great and matches. can't wait to do the tractor........Ray :thumbs:

Michael Bullington

All sheet metal was with the gun,,,and all frame, tranny and others was spray cans :whistle:

its kinda a strange combination, but if you really dont know what i just told you, noone will ever notice...but knowing what you do now, you could probably walk up and see the shine is not a great on the frame in the right light...The engine was painted with spray can and it is really impossible to tell which way it was painted. :thumbs:

Look real close at the top picture of the 2 pictures and look at the hood compared to the front axle area for a good comparison..the light is hitting it just right to see, but in the second picture where its darker you cant see the difference

George

Stone_henge that tractor looks great.

Yesterday I opened up a 1/2 pint can of paint that I used for my first tractor. I wanted to compare it to the paint on my new tractor. The new paint is not the same color. At the store they told me the only difference with the paint was the name change. But I can see that the color was changed also. When I did the first tractor they called Regal Red and now they call it Int. Harvester Red. If I wasn't so far along with this tractor i would start over. But I am going to finish it like it is. Maybe next winter it will get a makeover.

Michael Bullington

thanks for the comments!!

This is my personal opionon, but I really like the way it turned out, because its right at the point where it shows great and you can still get it out and work the heck out of it without worrying about messing something up...My engine leaks alittle oil, so last year I pulled the engine...cleaned real good, sprayed canned the frame again and it looks brand new again!!..So basically as long as I careful with the sheetmetel whatever get messed up elsewhere Its a simple project to make it look brand new again. I dont even sand the paint when I do the touch ups the international red lays down real well as long as its real good and clean. :whistle:

My Dad has restored a couple of tractors with base coat clear and they look awesome!! But they sit in the garage and never get used. They are good for the eye, but are pretty much useless... So kept this in mind when your restore a tractor. Dont make it too good if you want to use use it or if you just want a show piece go all out and do the works.... Personally I like to use em!! :thumbs:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=8408

PetesPonies

You can get the proper color red mixed up in the PPG Omni line. It was only $31 for a quart.

tgranthamfd

Next question, do you guys use red primer, black, or grey?