jay bee

In search of the elusive muffler

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: 

Oh! Here we go again!

Yes, it's dishwashing liquid...you know you're soaking in it right?

C'mon buttercup, suck it up!

bottjernat1
On 2/14/2017 at 5:44 PM, formariz said:

Well, call me crazy but here is what i decided to do with the "Jay Bee" muffler on the Electro 12. It was not bought for it but it needed one so I decided to use it.

There is no room in front of engine and behind hood for it. From the air filter to the hood everything interferes.If the muffler's body was about 3" shorter then with some clever plumbing it would work but still be tight. If hood was as wide on bottom as on top even better, but it is what it is on this model. When I got this tractor from Ken B. it had a long muffler mounted horizontally which is the best way for this model as you can see on first photo. The only draw back was that the outlet on long muffler was too close to operator and one winds up having some exhaust on the face area.

So based on how it was then I mounted this one also horizontally. Since it has the outlet on the side with the long pipe exhaust is directed much lower than before. No interference with PTO or implement belt changes. I will also probably fabricate an extension and have it directly under foot board aimed away from tractor. Fabricated metal bracket to attach to mufflers bracket for additional support .

The Electro was always a noisy tractor specially at full throttle. Although still a bit noisy compared to others now one notices engine noise  rather than muffler. At idle it is very quite and at full throttle it has a nice "throaty" sound. Sounds really solid unlike before. The original muffler fell apart inside with the loose baffles actually plugging the exhaust outlet and I bought another one like it for about $35.00 only to have exactly the same thing happen after one year. This muffler is heavy at 3Lbs 9-1/2ounces compared to a tall stack muffler with the flap on top which is only 3Lbs 1-1/4 ounces. It should last forever now. 

IMG_5070.thumb.JPG.5f222390fd75321e0f309ee70ad31d50.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG.7ed0a0d34f5516263bbc662d19007ec2.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG.3ec436f10ea222a699e7f7619b4780ad.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG.6f6a3689e451cd68edb62b86f7c15171.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG.f1f9affa8d35a754d198b91eb879950c.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG.6f6a3689e451cd68edb62b86f7c15171.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

Is that an original style muffler for the electro? My daughters i just have a round simple muffler.

20190811_124742.jpg

formariz

The small round muffler is the original type to it I am sure. I now have finished "plumbing" muffler pipe under foot rest coming out of rest's back. photo is earlier version of "plumbing", it now goes directly under foot rest.Very happy with the way it works and sounds.

042.JPG.440b7a1e414ac7e03bcbbc01b14fc5fc.JPG

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

fourcarp

I live in Grand Rapids with a C-120.   Would you have a muffler that would fit ?

jay bee

@fourcarp  I will pm you. 

jenniferliveson80

Do you have/ or can make a muffler for a C-160 wheel horse garden tractor??

jay bee

Sorry @jenniferliveson80 I am no longer having them made for me.  The tariffs that were put on steel and aluminized steel in March of 2018 raised the cost beyond what I felt was reasonable. These crossed the border twice, once as raw product and again as finished product so they were taxed two times. When we had them, they sold for $125 on Red Square and  about $150 on E-bay.  They would fit any of the Kohler single cylinder engines and also the Tecumseh singles and were adaptable enough to be used on other engines with a little owner ingenuity. 
Thanks for your interest and good luck with the C-160. Those are on many members bucket list.