George Washington

C-160 auto and C-121 8 speed swap

George Washington

ok - I bought my first Horse last night - It is a C-160 Automatic - I was going back and forth between it and a C-121 8 speed that was much cheaper - Now that I have the 160 Ive decided that I want the 120 as well. I'm thinking of swapping engines on the two so my hydro would have the 12hp motor and I could use it just for mowing and then my 8 speed would have the 16hp Kohler and I could use it for bigger tasks - Does anyone have an opinion on this? It makes sense to me on the surface but am I missing anything?

So  I would be taking a C121 8 speed and a C160 Hydro and making a C121 Hydro and a C160 8 speed

here is my new C160

c160.jpg

Edited by George Washington
my bad
  • Like 1

Pollack Pete

Unless you have absolutely nothing else to do,why bother?? Both are great tractors just the way they are.Just my opinion.

• Like 7

Elkskin's mower junkyard

i would leave them both alone lol

• Like 2

Sparky
36 minutes ago, George Washington said:

I'm thinking of swapping engines on the two so my hydro would have the 12hp motor and I could use it just for mowing and then my 8 speed would have the 16hp Kohler and I could use it for bigger tasks -

Can you explain what "bigger tasks" are?

Mike.........

• Like 1

George Washington

sometimes I get some ideas in my head that make sense to me but if the consensus  is to leave them alone I definitely will

Just now, Sparky said:

Can you explain what "bigger tasks" are?

Mike.........

throwing heavier wet snow (if we ever even get any) and ground engaging stuff like tilling

Elkskin's mower junkyard
5 minutes ago, George Washington said:

sometimes I get some ideas in my head that make sense to me but if the consensus  is to leave them alone I definitely will

throwing heavier wet snow (if we ever even get any) and ground engaging stuff like tilling

well using hydro to throw snow is actually ideal. you can have engine full rpm and creap with the hydro levelr slower than you can with the 8 speed. now i know the 8 speed low 1st is pretty slow in first place lol and having a 16hp hydro would take care of it

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Like 3

Ed Kennell

You're making me cringe, just thinking about altering that C-160.    Please do not alter or restore that tractor.  She looks great as is and IMO is the best WH made.

• Like 4

pfrederi

I can't think of a "heavier" task where the 8 speed would be an advantage and you would need the xtra HP.  a tiller doesn't need more than 12hp  as indicated above a snowblower does better with the hydro

Maybe if you wanted to pull a 2 bottom plow:lol:

• Like 2

Blasterdad

:text-yeahthat: 

A case of "don't try to reinvent the wheel" (horse) for sure! Have blown heavy snow with our C-81 for years... Our C-141 has more power but the 81 is still my favorite. ;)

• Like 4

bmsgaffer

I agree with everyone above, dont bother.

Also, mowing is actually one of the more HP intense activities you will do with your horse. The gear drives are more efficient as well to better make use of that 12hp.

• Like 3

rmaynard

If I understand correctly, you want to swap a C-160's K341S, and a C-121's K301AS. You have two different style footprints on those engines with one using a cradle, the other not, different belt guards, and different PTO set-up. I may have missed a couple of things, but unless you want to make a lot of work for yourself, I don't see the need. On the other hand, if it's a C-120 to C-160 swap, it's a piece of cake.

• Like 3

clueless
15 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

You're making me cringe, just thinking about altering that C-160.    Please do not alter or restore that tractor.  She looks great as is and IMO is the best WH made.

Brother Ed speaking words of wisdom. Let it be!!

• Like 3

George Washington

just to put everyone mind at ease I've decided to against the swap - like I said, I get these ideas - I don't know where they come from but i'm smart enough to trust the wisdom here on the forum - thanks guys!''

• Like 2