Chris G

I stand corrected

Chris G

So I recently made a post called new to me 1960 suburban 400. I had cleaned the I'd plate and the serial number read as 42388 atleast it appeared. Well I was sitting on the tractor yesterday the light got the I'd plate enough to were it made me question the last digit in the serial number. So I took it off and did some more cleaning and pulled a little magnification device out that my grandad had always had in his toolbox. Never understood why but it worked great for me today. So the update to that serial number is 42383. Please check out photos and let me know what ya think. I'd like to make sure the list on here has the proper number. 

IMG_20170128_094124745.jpg

IMG_20170128_094114966.jpg

IMG_20170128_094000383_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170128_093912261_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170128_093708048.jpg

IMG_20170128_092705671_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170128_092655424_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170128_092448477.jpg

IMG_20170128_095419902.jpg

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 8

Jerry77
1 hour ago, Chris G said:

So the update to that serial number is 42383

I agree...:)

• Like 2

Racinbob

I'd agree on the 3 too. That looks like a printers loupe there. Printing press operators use them. :)

• Like 2

Chris G

Just might be. My grandpa had all sorts of little odd tools he used and I made sure I snagged them up when he passed. Nobody else wanted them. SOI figure ya never can have enough tools and tricks of the trade hanging around

• Like 2

Chris G

Well thanks for the info on what that is. Cool to know. I've had it for going on ten years and used numerous times. But never knew what it was.

ACman

22 hours ago, Chris G said:

Just might be. My grandpa had all sorts of little odd tools he used and I made sure I snagged them up when he passed. Nobody else wanted them. SOI figure ya never can have enough tools and tricks of the trade hanging around

I agree also on it being a three .

Always had a magnifying glass behind the parts counter . Someone would bring in a bearing , race , or seal and couldn't read anything , but with then my young eyes and the magnifying glass I could make out the numbers to cross reference . 

Same here it was grandpa's ...I didn't get that though. I did get his Starrett 0-1"  micrometers  

IMG_1628.JPG

even though I had a set of Swiss made Etalon ($$$) and a pair of Mitutoyo Digamatics , nothing can replace grandpa's antique Starrett's !

IMG_1625.JPGIMG_1626.JPG

Old school tools rule. :music-rockout:

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3

Chris G

I agree I love old tools and when they were someone you new it's always cool to have them around. And for me my grandpa got me into wrenching on just about anything. So it's always fun when ya get to pull them out and share a story!

• Like 2

JAinVA

I keep several opti visors around.They, if you are unaware, are an optical magnifier that look like the old bankers green visors.They last 520s I got had serial number plates that looked like a silver sticker until I put the eyes on.I now know the serial numbers of all of the horses.Helps a lot.Just saying.JAinVA

• Like 1

Jerry77
17 hours ago, Chris G said:

My grandpa had all sorts of little odd tools

Nothing like being young and stupid - my grandpa passed in 1963 - grandma said take whatever you want out in the shop - well, I took nothing - he had hand tools from the 20's to the 50's and a 150 lb anvil - I have regretted it ever since....:(

Retired Wrencher
15 hours ago, ACman said:

I agree also on it being a three .

Always had a magnifying glass behind the parts counter . Someone would bring in a bearing , race , or seal and couldn't read anything , but with then my young eyes and the magnifying glass I could make out the numbers to cross reference . 

Same here it was grandpa's ...I didn't get that though. I did get his Starrett 0-1"  micrometers  

IMG_1628.JPG

even though I had a set of Etalon ($$$) and a pair of Mitutoyo Digamatics , nothing can replace grandpa's antique Starrett's !

IMG_1625.JPGIMG_1626.JPG

Old school tools rule. :music-rockout:

AC nothing but the best Starrertt>>>>>>>> I have a few my self. Very handy.

Sarge

I had one of those years ago - it died a horrible death through the metal fan on an old truck engine trying to read the head numbers when I dropped it , miss that tool a lot and wish often I could find another one . I have both Grandpa's and Dad's tools here , use them nearly every day .

Can't get over the fact you actually got a photo of that - great camera work for sure , that isn't easy to do .

I see there are new ones that are lighted and I cannot get enough light due to degradation problems in my eyes - might just order one...lol .

Sarge

• Like 1

Chris G

Ya getting the photo was a bit tricky. Had to finagle it around so the light would go through and then hold the camera in a way it didn't block the light. And as far as that little magnifier goes. I see them in the little odd antique shops my wife goes to now and then. I often thought of picking another one up. Just never did. One thing I should of got and I didn't. Cause of the young and dumbness was a light kinda like this one. Magnifies and lights up.

il_570xN.737195507_6cra.jpg

Sarge

I have a modern version of that with a lighted lens and arms with clamps to hold wiring for soldering - wish I had the older type as pictured since the quality of the one I have is crap . I missed a Jeweler's auction awhile back , I hear his tools went dead cheap since everyone was after the precious metals and such ...shame . It's getting to the point I won't buy new stuff unless it's a very specific high quality USA , German or Japanese tool - otherwise it's old tools/equipment that need some love - they always work better in the end anyway .

Sarge

• Like 1

Chris G

Ya I buy very few new tools. I probably buy more tools at flea markets and barn sales than anything. And I looked at a few of them lights myself and I was very deterred from buying one after seeing the quality of build.