Cee245

1991 wheel horse 416h purchase

Cee245

Hi all, I`m somewhat new here on Red Square and wanted some opinions on a deal I came across. I'm going to look at a 91 Toro wheel horse 416h tractor on sunday, There are no attachments, 5 out of 10 shape. (From 3 pics i've seen on my phone)  Needs a pto bracket that attaches to motor, and fuel pump.   Seller says he can rig it up so I can hear it run.   I don't know how many hours. I'm thinking its a lot. (Seller is checking tomorrow and will let me know)  He's asking 225 for it and said he was asking 250 for motor alone as parts tractor. He Needs it gone, he said, I could use it for parts for my tractor at that price right?? I have a partially restored 1997 416h model 73423.  The model number for the 91 is 51-160E01 Serial number is 1030970. Does the serial # mean it was the 970th built or? Thanks 

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

The 1030970 is more likely the 30,970th item they build for the 1991 model year which would have started mid-1990.

The model number is written 51-16OE01 with the OE being Onan engine Eaton transmission. The last 2 digits are numbers.

Garry

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:     If you are anticipating a need for parts that this unit may offer then it is a great buy but,   :twocents-02cents:  If you are anticipating buying it because the price is so low but have no need for it then it could be wise to pass it up. Certainly a good running 16 HP Onan or a good Eaton Transmission (presuming it is good) would be worth the money. I would never try to talk anyone out of buying a :wh:, just a little food for thought.

One more thing; we want    :text-coolphotos: !

Cee245

Thanks for the info guys! It really depends on the condition in person of this tractor. I don't really need it for any specific part or anything but the price may be too good to pass on.  It would be my 3rd wheel horse 416. 

image:28

image:27

varosd

Do a Compression check on the Onan

run the  Eaton  tranny until warm and check hydro speed/lift etc

check fluids etc

why was the fuel pump off?  most likely the diaphragm is old and fuel drains back into the tank. 

why was the PTO off?

Cee245

Good tips Varosd. Thanks, I might have forgotten my compression tool if you didn't remind me. And will check all fluids as well.  Seller says the pto was off when he got it. That could be an issue.  The fuel pump is shot he says, My first thought was the diaphragm too. He also stated that the transmission is quiet and no leaks.  The hour meter shows 521 but that doesn't mean that its accurate.  Also has a new starter I guess.  Can't wait to see it on sunday!  Its supposed to snow a lot here so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't affect me looking at this tractor. 

I posted two pics that i had of it. Doesn't look like i did it right. I'll try one at a time. 

Thanks, Cory

Edited by cee245
forgot some info

Cee245

Ok guys, here are a couple pics for you.  As you can see, it looks a little beat up but we will see soon. Anything else I should check?  Thanks for the input!

Cory

20170125_214846.jpg

20170125_215059.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

May the :wh: gods be with you...

Good luck. 

:WRS:

rmaynard

For $225.00 I personaly would buy it if the engine runs without a lot of smoke or unusual noises. I sold an Onan P216 engine alone in 2015 for $300.00.

Cee245

Thanks Amc Rules and rmaynard!  I was thinking its always nice to have a spare WH. Especially since is similar to my others.  Its so nice that when I'm working on one there is another there to help me figure out how it goes back together...  This might be #3 but the price is good and maybe I'll restore it and sell this or #2.  Who knows at this point.  Getting ahead of my self with those thoughts... any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks, Cory

Cee245

Hey guys, just an update... I went to see the 416h today and ultimately bought it for $200.  It is in very good running shape. Meaning the engine and tranny are strong and sound very good.  However, although I knew going in that it wasn't in pristine shape,  I am a little disappointed in overall shape.  Lots of small misc parts missing like 3 lug nuts,  bolts for the shrouds and things like that.  I think at this point I'm going to use a few parts for my 91 416-8  and possibly part the rest out. All the pto parts are there,  Story goes is that I got it from the sellers friend who's kid was going to restore and lost interest.  Still happy with purchase since I can use some parts. 

• Like 3

rmaynard

That's great. I think you did good. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Pollack Pete

You're going to part out a running 416H because 3 lug bolts and some fan bolts are missing???? Lug bolts are available all over the place.Hardware store for all the other bolts.  I'd keep the tractor,put a cardboard box on the hood and start looking for needed parts to put in the box.If you were closer,I'd buy it from you.

• Like 1

Cee245

Hey Pete, those of course aren't the only missing parts.  I didn't explain well enough just how much the tractor needs.  To give you an idea, the guy had a gatorade bottle with gas in it  with hose going to carb and used a jumper to the starer to get it to start.  The wire harness (if you could call it that)  was mostly missing and what is there is obviously not stock nor attempted to be made stock. It is an electrical nightmare in my opinion.  Its like there is a good motor and tranny and not much else. The hood is ok but i'll have to strip and paint as expected, but all the other metal has random large holes drilled in it for who knows what.  But all in all I got a decent deal for what it is.