Gadget

244 Steering Shaft Removal

Gadget

Hi,

I have searched through the forum and found info or removing steering wheel, and shaft. I could still use a little advice: 

I tried to get a replacement from all the vendors on this site but no luck so I am going with one on fleabay (looks like OEM) however it says "200 Series" so I have to assume its the correct shaft. When I looked up the part number, I came up with 78-8180 so that's my best guess.

I see lots of posts on larger machines but for us little guys... not so much.

The gear at the bottom end of the shaft has worn to the point where if skips (teeth worn) so I figured I needed to replace the gear. I now understand that it comes pre pressed onto the shaft. Looks straightforward except for removing the steering wheel from the shaft:

Is this a roll pin situation, and if so, with the pin removed (drilled out if I cant get it with a pin punch) can I use a puller to separate the wheel from the shaft (I have seen a download on that but its on a larger tractor) 

Any other input on what to beware of when changing the shaft would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

TW

• Like 1

Jerry77
29 minutes ago, Gadget said:

Is this a roll pin situation, and if so, with the pin removed (drilled out

Good luck with drilling out a roll pin -search for threads - has been a lot of discussion on this ...:)

pacer

Have you looked into where the gears connect yet? Its hard to believe that the teeth will be so worn that it has to be replaced. Are you aware there is a method for closing the gap between the 2 teeth points? There is currently a post discussing this running now ....

If you do indeed have worn teeth then yes you will have to replace the shaft or saw the end off and weld the replacement on. As for the roll pin:bitch:those dang things can be a real pain!! Most pins are hardened (they just about HAVE to be!) and therefore very difficult to drill. Here again you may have to cut the shaft ..... Removal of steering wheels and axle hubs are probably the most troublesome problems we run into!

• Like 1

Gadget

Thanks everyone:

Pacer:

1) Looks like the 200 series is a whole different animal than the 606 that is being posted about. From what I understand with the 200 series there is a large washer that has an off center hole (eccentric?), you loosen the bolt holding the fan gear and depending on how you orient the washer (which is under the fan gear) the teeth on the shaft end up nearer or farther from the from the teeth on the fan gear (I am not a know-it-all so if I am mistaken PLEASE correct me)

2) It needs some dental work, the teeth on the shaft gear are worn I would estimate 50% from new so matter how far back I try to locate the eccentric they dont mesh well (lots of slop) I will send a photo when I get it apart

3) I dont have a shop manual for the 200 series but it looks to me (again please correct me) that I have to remove the steering wheel, a c-clip, a collar (with a set screw) and lord knows what else and them pull the old shaft up and out top.

Any thoughts on that process???

Thanks

TW

Gadget

244H steering gear

Just in case there was any question that these gears can indeed wear out, here is what the old one looked like!

I got lucky, the roll pin came out without any drama and the steering wheel released from the shaft very easily. I am sure there is a correct way to do this but I removed the 4 nuts and bolts that hold the plastic "dashboard" which gave me just enough wiggle room to remove the shaft assembly through the bottom (removed the deck) and feed the new shaft, collar, bushing etc back from the bottom up.

Problem solved, steers as it should.

Thanks again.

Steering gear worn .jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

oldredrider

They do indeed wear out...poor design. I cut the shaft out of one, welded up the gears and welded the shaft back together. Easier for me than fighting a stuck steering wheel. 

• Like 1

123GO

Cobalt drill bit, if that fails a sawzall with a Lennox blade will cut the hub right off your steering shaft. Hacksaw too will work... Cut the hub right off several of mine like that, usually have a wheel in several pieces...lol  

Steering wheels that will fit these shafts are real cheap on Ebay even if adaptors are needed but' the correct shaft for your unit is not always easy to get and generally cost more. Good Cobalt bit will do it most times, sometimes you get lucky with a regular bit and I try that first but whatever bit or punch you use DO NOT BREAK IT OFF INSIDE THE HOLE and always use oil too... Just takes some patients and a lot of effort really.