Elkskin's mower junkyard

and she runs.

Elkskin's mower junkyard

here she is.

• Like 6

953 nut

:woohoo:   Always a special moment the first time you hear it run!   :text-bravo:

• Like 5

ClassicTractorProfessor

Best sound in the world is hearing an old machine come to life for the first time 

• Like 5

Retired Wrencher
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:woohoo:   Always a special moment the first time you hear it run!   :text-bravo:

Richard   I agree I have a no name 73 the owner said you have to take on my word it does run good.  So took a chance. He was right nice running 8hp. The 1st time it fired up was special.

Edited by T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER.
  • Like 3

Elkskin's mower junkyard
8 hours ago, T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER. said:

Richard   I agree I have a no name 73 the owner said you have to take on my word it does run good.  So took a chance. He was right nice running 8hp. The 1st time it fired up was special.

this 701 sat for over 20 years. i was surprised it was a easy fix to get running

Retired Wrencher

:handgestures-thumbupright:    :happy-jumpeveryone:    :D

T-Mo

Sounds pretty good.  Nice score.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
19 hours ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

this 701 sat for over 20 years. i was surprised it was a easy fix to get running

Those old Kohler's are good about that. Very simple to keep them up and running. My 1277 had sat outside for several years in the rain snow covered in leaves etc. Got it home and pulled the bowl off the carb give it a quick dousing of carb cleaner. Fresh gas, fresh oil, hot battery, and about 8 spins of the starter and she came to life. Backed her off the trailer and drove around the yard for the next hour. 

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

i had some that was a pain to get running others not so much. old cast iron briggs are good for it too if water dont get into carbs.

ClassicTractorProfessor

I recently sold a MW garden tractor with the 14 HP cast iron Briggs on it. Paid 75 bucks for it. 5 months later still couldn't get it running and sold it for the same 75 bucks to make room for another Wheel Horse (which I still haven't got the chance to go pick up, maybe this week lol) that's been my only experience with the cast iron Briggs, but never have been a big fan of their engines anyway. That's why I paid a little extra this summer when I bought my new Craftsman push mower and got the Kohler.

Elkskin's mower junkyard
3 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

I recently sold a MW garden tractor with the 14 HP cast iron Briggs on it. Paid 75 bucks for it. 5 months later still couldn't get it running and sold it for the same 75 bucks to make room for another Wheel Horse (which I still haven't got the chance to go pick up, maybe this week lol) that's been my only experience with the cast iron Briggs, but never have been a big fan of their engines anyway. That's why I paid a little extra this summer when I bought my new Craftsman push mower and got the Kohler.

the old briggs are torque monsters with looong strokes. but i do know the carbs are a pain on them. even the new ones sold will drip a bit on the updrafts. newer engines period dont last like the old engines do, i even heard bad things about kawasakis and seen it too.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
17 minutes ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

the old briggs are torque monsters with looong strokes. but i do know the carbs are a pain on them. even the new ones sold will drip a bit on the updrafts. newer engines period dont last like the old engines do, i even heard bad things about kawasakis and seen it too.

They all have their problems I've always been a Kohler fan myself, never was a big fan of Tecumseh either, but I guarantee you I can go out to the shop and the VH80 on my wife's tractor will fire off in this cold when nothing else will. They all have their good and bad points. And you're right about the newer engines, but that's with anything these days. In the throwaway society we live in nothing's lasts like it used to

Elkskin's mower junkyard
1 minute ago, Professor1990 said:

They all have their problems I've always been a Kohler fan myself, never was a big fan of Tecumseh either, but I guarantee you I can go out to the shop and the VH80 on my wife's tractor will fire off in this cold when nothing else will. They all have their good and bad points. And you're right about the newer engines, but that's with anything these days. In the throwaway society we live in nothing's lasts like it used to

majority of our machines will fire right up. briggs and kohlers. i do not like tecumsehs theres only one in the yard that running and its the engine i pulled off the workhorse 700 to put a kohler on it bc it wasnt original tec anyway. so it ended up on dads 67 sears custom 6 we use for mowing.

ClassicTractorProfessor

My 1277 always started right up, until the day she came apart lol, still gotta get started on that project. And my poor little 701 is sitting in pieces right now waiting on an engine. Probably end up with a predator swap as nothing a bunch of it isn't original anyway and it's only gonna be used to putt around on. 

FB_IMG_1484105554016.jpg

FB_IMG_1484105656861.jpg

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
2 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

My 1277 always started right up, until the day she came apart lol, still gotta get started on that project. And my poor little 701 is sitting in pieces right now waiting on an engine. Probably end up with a predator swap as nothing a bunch of it isn't original anyway and it's only gonna be used to putt around on. 

FB_IMG_1484105554016.jpg

FB_IMG_1484105656861.jpg

this is what i did to dads 502 wheel horse stuck a 1994 kohler magnum on it with a old k series carb and airfilter 

0731162226-00.jpg

ClassicTractorProfessor

How did the Magnum fit under the hood? I thought about building a K241 for mine, have an extra block laying around so set it in there, but it looks like by the time an oil pan and cylinder head are installed there's not going to be enough hood clearance. I have a welder and torch and could make anything fit, but don't want to have to cut anything up to do so

Elkskin's mower junkyard
1 minute ago, Professor1990 said:

How did the Magnum fit under the hood? I thought about building a K241 for mine, have an extra block laying around so set it in there, but it looks like by the time an oil pan and cylinder head are installed there's not going to be enough hood clearance. I have a welder and torch and could make anything fit, but don't want to have to cut anything up to do so

this magnum is a 8hp and its same block has a k181 basically. fit real well

ClassicTractorProfessor

OK. I wasn't thinking of that when you said the Magnum I had the big block engines in my head, but that does give me an idea one of those might be easier to find in my area 

Elkskin's mower junkyard
2 minutes ago, Professor1990 said:

OK. I wasn't thinking of that when you said the Magnum I had the big block engines in my head, but that does give me an idea one of those might be easier to find in my area 

usually they are easier to find

ClassicTractorProfessor

Yes I hadn't thought of it. I've been looking all over for a 161 or 181 but none to be had anywhere even remotely local to me lol, but then again nothing Wheel Horse related is easy to find around here. Thanks for sparking an idea in my head 

Elkskin's mower junkyard

wheel horses are everywhere around here. but all u find are decks and plows no other attachments lol

ClassicTractorProfessor

Wish I could say the same. I've got three out of only four that I know of in our whole county. The 1277 and 701 were picked up here locally. The V8 Commando we bought from a member here. There's two of them the next county over one of which is mine just have to get over there and pick it up. The other sets out in a yard at an abandoned place, never can find out any info on who to contact. So they are here but harder to come by than other places