ohiofarmer

value of having Wheel Horse branded tires on restored tractors

ohiofarmer

I bought a horse c121 and it happened to have tires that looked almost new with the Wheel Horse brand on them. The treads both front and rear were very deep as well as very little cracking on the sidewalls.. I am wondering if they are sought by you master restorers on this forum and thus should be saved from use. I want my tractors to work for a living and realize that using these tires for that might take away a piece of history---or not---because i simply have no idea.

I do have extra sets of tires from unknown applications that fit my tractors. Thanks for your help

• Like 2

slammer302

There is not really a high demand for the wheel horse badged tires most replace with new tires. There is a few harder to find wheel horse tires that guys try to save like 6-12 silver towns which are found on a lot of the 60's WH's and there are the rare white wall WH tires.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Great question and I am sure you will get mixed responses.

:twocents-02cents: - Unless you intend your tractor to be a beauty queen whose purpose is purely show, which is fine, I would replace dry rotted tires on a worker now, before your chains eat them alive at -10 and you get to change them anyways...in less than ideal conditions, or when you need the tractor and they fall apart on you. (ask me how I know...on second thought - don't)...

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

Another problem you'll have if you try to save them, they may destroyed in the process of removal. The surface of the rubber may look good but the rubber is very brittle on these 30-40 year old tires.  If your working the tractor your best is to replace them. 

• Like 3

Jrblanke

I enjoyed my wheel horse brand tires when I had them on my 876. They may have been a little cracked on the side walls, but they held air for the 2 years I had it. If I had to pick a tractor with them vs a tractor without them, I would pick the ones with the Wheel Horse tires. i'm not much of a resto guy. I prefer a mechanicaly restored but original paint unit. The WH tires go with that look. I only use mine for mowing or driving around the yard. I don't have to deal with the -10 tempratures Sylvan was talking about.

And to answer your question, I probably wouldn't pay much more for original WH tires, but I would prefer them (if they were in working shape). 

Edited by Jrblanke
  • Like 3

Retired Wrencher

ohiofarmer I have a no name 73/8 hp It has 6-12`s on them and they hold air so I use them and they are rusty and crusty. It also has chains on them work good so far. When they go I will go to the pile and put two more on. I say use what you have and save your $$ to buy more tractors or parts tractors.

Edited by T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER.