bmsgaffer

522xi Ignition Switch R Terminal

bmsgaffer

I am in the final stages of getting my conversion running but I have run into an issue.

The wiring manual states that the R terminal is supposed to be hot in run and in start. In practice the one on my tractor shuts down the violet wire (supposed to be right off of R terminal) when I am in start position. This presents and issue of shutting down my efi computer when trying to start.

Can anyone verify if the violet wire is connected to the battery when their switch is in the start position ? 

The PO did some wiring "fixes" that now causes the hour meter to run anytime the switch is ON so I am trying to figure out if my violet wire is normal or not.

THANKS!

shallowwatersailor

Brandon, I'm sure you checked the year wiring diagram from Demystification Manual?

I believe the hour meter comes off of the oil pressure switch circuit.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

bmsgaffer

I did check that and it states that the switch has R connected during start (on a starter switch table), but was hoping to check with someone's experience. It doesnt show that circuit in start mode. This wouldnt be the first manual misprint.

Yea the oil pressure light never comes on and it should be on when the key is on and engine not running. i think the last owner bypassed the oil pressure switch somewhere on the tractor. Which is a weird place, as it would have probably been easier on the engine...

gwest_ca

The downloadable file is not correct but the screen shots you first see are.

Why can't you use the I terminal?

Garry

bmsgaffer

Thank you Garry!

The service  manual pages are wrong. I went ahead and replaced the switch with one I had laying aound that does not have the lights setting. (103990) This switch does let the R leg stay on in start mode, but there is no L circuit so the lights are always on.

The reason that I did it this was is because I was able to install the engine with no modifications to the tractor wiring at all. I made an adapter to plug the tractor to the efi engine.

I will either have to modify it anyway to either run the right ignition switch or to use a seperate light switch. I like seperate light switches better, so we will see.

I also have to figure out if this engine will operate the oil light correctly, because I dont think it will.