Sparky

Classic mistake

Sparky

Dismantled the carb on my Commando-8 for a soaking in a gallon of carb cleaner last week but forgot to put aside the needle...so into the carb cleaner bucket it went. Looked ok when it came out so I reassembled it all and sure enough the rubber tip deteriorated and blocked up the seat. So off with the carb again, installed a new needle and seat (really pays off to have this stuff in stock) and she is running great! Nice way to spend Thanksgiving morning....( I was told to "Get outa my kitchen!")...so I obeyed ;) .

Took it for my first drive but the drive belt is so shot it won't power itself up even the lightest incline. Figuring out the belt size and finding a replacement is my next project.

Mike.......

image.jpg

• Like 8

wallfish

On the bright side....bet that won't happen again!

I learned my lesson the same way

• Like 3

Sparky
50 minutes ago, wallfish said:

On the bright side....bet that won't happen again!

Oh I doubt that....history has proven that I need to screw up a few times before I learn my lesson!

Mike....

• Like 4

stevebo

Getting old...... 

• Like 3

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, stevebo said:

Getting old...... 

Keeps getting worse too!

• Like 5

953 nut

:text-blondmoment:     Actually; Senior Moments seem to be occurring with enough regularity that I don't even notice them anymore!    :doh:

• Like 5

squonk

I'm surprised you would even consider using the old needle. If the carbs coming apart, that's the first thing I toss. I keep a couple on hand. I've seen brand new ones not work right.

• Like 1

Sparky
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I'm surprised you would even consider using the old needle. 

I hear ya....my excuse...well, it ran before I took the carb apart so I figured I would just give it a cleaning. Lesson learned!

I am all outa needles and seats now 🙄 .

Mike....

• Like 1

Hacksawhero123

With a couple of K series Kohlers here now, I have learned to keep certain spare parts around- new float, needles, seats, carb gaskets, ignition kits, etc. I do need a good main jet needle if anybody has an extra to spare😜  

Mark.