Lagersolut

Snow blower auger bearing replace

Lagersolut

I have the bearings to replace on the auger but I'm not sure I know what I'm doing - remove these 3 bolts on this plate but it only comes out about 2 inches and stops ....is there something I need to know or an doing wrong ?

jg30b9.jpg

Edited by Lagersolut

WVHillbilly520H

The stub shaft that is welded in the center of those 3 bolts that fits into the hollow portion of the auger is most likely rusted and will need lots of "persuasion" pry bars ,hammering ,heat ect also did you "unlock" the collars on the original bearings with a punch (see the indent in my pic)? I know when I rebuilt my single stage those stub shafts were really crusty rusted when I reinstalled I used never seize on them, Jeff.

IMAG1700.jpg

• Like 1

Lagersolut
9 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

The stub shaft that is welded in the center of those 3 bolts that fits into the hollow portion of the auger is most likely rusted and will need lots of "persuasion" pry bars ,hammering ,heat ect also did you "unlock" the collars on the original bearings with a punch (see the indent in my pic)? I know when I rebuilt my single stage those stub shafts were really crusty rusted when I reinstalled I used never seize on them, Jeff.

IMAG1700.jpg

I figured it it out - you were right . those stub shafts were a bear to get out . I didn't have locking collar bearings on this single stage - standard sealed bearings . Have some cracks on the inside of the auger needs addressed too. The bearing I opened up wasn't terrible but the one on the far right was really rough may not have made it through the season.....rather do it now than with 2 ft of snow in the D-way.

2ikcw46.jpg

1zyyjis.jpg

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

I'm sorry my mind is slipping but the Jack shaft has the locking collars, I put those on my 2stage vs the bronze bushings, but I did have my single torn apart also,Jeff.

IMAG0416.jpg

Lagersolut
22 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I'm sorry my mind is slipping but the Jack shaft has the locking collars, I put those on my 2stage vs the bronze bushings, but I did have my single torn apart also,Jeff.

IMAG0416.jpg

No problem on the mind slipping - mine does all the time anymore - I'll post this it may help others in the future - picked up this piece of 1/2 " x 3 ft rod for 5 bucks at Lowe's to drift the old bearings out of the auger ......worked perfect  .

jqnj2d.jpg

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I replaced the cross shaft bearings last winter, like you said what a time to go, you could hear me roarin down the driveway heading back to the garage with that high pitch squeal........suprised they didnt seize. Had to get that snow out though.........

Its good to do them now, trust me.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 1

Lagersolut
12 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

I replaced the cross shaft bearings last winter, like you said what a time to go, you could hear me roarin down the driveway heading back to the garage with that high pitch squeal........suprised they didnt seize. Had to get that snow out though.........

Its good to do them now, trust me.

Glenn

Got all the other stuff done last year - belt- tension pulleys - shaft bearings - idler sprockets and new  40 chain,  but it got late in the season and I didn't get these done , had the bearings here in the tool box - have a few minor cracks on the inside of the auger where it chucks the snow I want to get dressed up before I put it all back together . Old bearing on the right ,  seal was shot water and crud was getting into the balls .......it was time. :)

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, Lagersolut said:

Got all the other stuff done last year - belt- tension pulleys - shaft bearings - idler sprockets and new  40 chain,  but it got late in the season and I didn't get these done , had the bearings here in the tool box - have a few minor cracks on the inside of the auger where it chucks the snow I want to get dressed up before I put it all back together . Old bearing on the right ,  seal was shot water and crud was getting into the balls .......it was time. :)

I always hated getting water and crud in the balls  myself.   :ROTF:

Sure burns them out early...........

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 2

Lagersolut
On 11/22/2016 at 6:07 PM, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

I always hated getting water and crud in the balls  myself.   :ROTF:

Sure burns them out early...........

Glenn

:text-lol:    

• Like 1