Duramax7man7

Need a 520h front Spindle..... Ideas

Duramax7man7

Anyone know of any other models that use the same spindle?

Part number is 112764 The D-200 looks very similar... 

Duramax7man7

Yep, that's the go to site I use... hmmm. 

Any way to weld fill the section and side of the spindle that is worn away and grind it down to the right diameter? 

Edited by Mastiffman

JAinVA

Mastifman,

The repair you propose is definitely doable.I have a pair I was thinking about doing myself.The lathe I have doesn't have enough clearance to turn the diameter but I may set it up on the milling machine.With that said unless you have the equipment or a friend who does you will have to take it to a machine shop.Most shops won't fool with something that small and if they do chances are that it will cost way more than a new one.I have been lucky enough to score a new left and right on everyones favorite bidding site for about$70.00 each delivered.JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

Duramax7man7

Gotacha. If I could get someone to fill it in, I could use a straight edge and calipers to dial it down no doubt.

Oh nice that would be a good deal. So $25 more than that is not bad for a new one then...?

• Like 1

JAinVA

Don't know what the delivery cost would be,but if you are referring to parts tree I have ordered parts from them before and have been happy.I would get a new one while they are still available but that's just me.Luck,JAinVA

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

Duramax7man7

Yes. That's true. There's a front swept axle, both spindles and tie rods ends and sleves that I have access to for about $300 but it's used and not sure if that is going to be a good idea as the seller is not a great communicator all of the time. I don't have access to inspect it. Or the funds for it right now. 

I believe that the Axle is a bit worn on that side as well. When I tried the other spindle in it just to see the difference in spacing it was still loose a bit but that could have been partially that spnidle as well although it didn't look as worn as the other side. 

JAinVA

One way to check the intermal wear of the axle is to place the part of the axle that the wheel mounts to in it.Since the wheel rides on bearings there is little wear on that part.Hope this helps.JAinVA

Duramax7man7

I simply used the LH side spindle and inserted that into the RH side axle's spindle support hole being that the LH side spindle was in good shape and was tight in the axle's LH side support hole.

That gave me a good idea as to the condition of the RH side of the axle... 

benji756

what year 520? the 88-89 takes a different spindle I think.

Duramax7man7

I believe that it's a 1990. Between the P220G-I/ 10955C Engine and the transmission... It has a swept forward wide front axle.

Sarge

Find some retired dude with a 4-jaw chuck and at least a 10" lathe - have it tig welded with 70-80 series filler rod and then turn the diameter back to original , not that hard . For the axle itself , I use a bridge reamer 1/8" larger than the spindle and order up bronze sleeve bearings , turn those to fit the axle with a slight gap , drill/groove it for grease and eliminate 95% of the wear , permanently .

Sarge

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

I may have found some brand new ones. Although after getting the proper thrust washers thrust bearing and washer and clip to hold the spindle in place there's quit a bit less play now. So I may be good for the winter get with new ones and then I'll hunt down and new axle over the winter. Or one that is like new. 

What do you guys think. I do like your thinking though Sarge!

pfrederi

To answer your first question about 520 vs D series...No

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

Duramax7man7

They look similar. You could almost get away with having the Tie Rod End flipped over in the D spindle... But I would wrather hunt down a new spindle. 

Found a place that can get new ones from Toro for about $185 for both and $22 in shipping.

Sarge

I keep looking at all these worn out spindle threads and wonder if I should start fabricating them . At my age , not looking to buy another bender and mine isn't heavy enough to handle good quality 3/4-1" steel rods to make it work . It would also take jigs to position the braces and steering arms in the correct points before final welding .

Sarge

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Shoot I would if I were you and had the machines. No Doubt. I do everything I can on my own anyway. These can still be purchased from Toro though. Mine should arrive on wednesday. I'm the type that looks at pretty much everything as a puzzle and how it can be figured out. If it interests me enough, I get to know it as best I can and then once I start seeing areas of improvement or repairs/ replacements, I think about it to often. Most of the time I can't fabricate anything as I don't have the tools. But would give a lot of things a go if I did have some. One thing that I think might be possible for the steering components is a sleeve for the axle's spindle hole. It could be drilled out and a sleeve could be pressed in. 

Of course this is being that new axles can't be purchased. To the best of my knowledge at least. So this would be the next best thing. Not sure if increase the bore in the axle by enough 1000's to fit a larger spindle would be a good option. New spindles would have to be manufactured. Or potentially a cuff to be pressed on over a good spindle with a lip for the thrust bearings and washers to rest on. Technically almost anything is possible. If there's a will, there's a way.... 

Sarge

I'm working on a total rebuild of a D series front axle since the previous owner destroyed the original 3/4" spindle version . Got a used 1" axle coming , pair of NOS 1" spindles , 1-1/8" bridge reamer , 3 - 4"Lx1-1/8"x1" copper/iron/bronze bushings , 2 new roller thrust bearings/washer sets . Axle is going to get bored out round , bushings pressed in and reamed to final fit / drilled for grease . I'm also building a cutting tool to make the countersunk relief in the bottom to accept the roller bearings for the bottom side of the axle where it rides on the spindle . Not sure if the 520 used this design - but it's not a bad idea .

Hope to finish the cutter today and test it , if it works as planned will build one to work on 3/4" spindle type axles and maybe start refurbishing them .

Someone , or if I can get the time/tools needs to start building new spindles - especially out of better steel than WH used , which was way too soft .

Please folks , when you grease that front axle , pick the weight up off the spindles/center pin by lifting the tractor at the frame . Otherwise , the grease never gets into the wear areas on those spindles and center pin....

Sarge

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

WOW Sarge!? That is an fantastic venture right there! 

Yes the 520h swept axle at least, has the countersunk lip for the thrust bearing and washer assembly.

So those bushings will be 1/8" thick? Or did I read that wrong?

Any way I could send my 520h (Toro #116823) axle to you and you could bore out the axle and fit it with some of those bushings to fit my new spindle that I'm going to pick up today? ;);)

Edited by Mastiffman

Duramax7man7

Pick this shipment up from my local Toro dealer today. 

2 new:

-Spindles

-Bearings

-Thrust washers

-Thrust bearings

-Top Washers

IMG_20161116_31708.jpg

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Well I got the new spindles on... But find something hiding underneath the tractor this whole time... going to order a new one in the morning. 

IMG_20161116_47705.jpg

IMG_20161116_51627.jpg

IMG_20161116_39297.jpg

• Like 2

Sarge

Sure ,you can send your axle here if you like but let me finalize this build and get a bit of testing done to insure the bushings aren't going to bind - I may have to get a larger finish reamer or use the hand reamers instead to fit the spindles . I had considered using internally grooved bushings to allow grease to move better , but given the low cycling speed of them it shouldn't be a problem over time . If you haven't figured it out - I hate parts wearing out over time and not having replacement parts available ...lol .

Not sure what Toro is nailing people for those thrust bearings and washers , but McMaster-Carr carries them as well - about $12/ea and very well made .

Toss up a pic of the spindles you are replacing - I can tell by the wear on them how long they will last before wear in the axle bores eat those soft spindles....

Sarge

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Okay Sarge, Sounds like a plan. Makes sense waiting until you have the process worked out and know all the details... Here are the spindles. Hopefully you can clearly see their wear...  

I also got the front axle oinand plate in today.  May as well spray that Red first before installing in? 

IMG_20161119_52102.jpg

IMG_20161119_41576.jpg

IMG_20161119_35522.jpg

IMG_20161123_29737.jpg

Edited by Mastiffman

Sarge

Uh , yeah...those spindles are junk - no reason to install those unless they are welded up and re-turned to size . I allow up to about .010" wear off the original diameter (.998" for 1" sizes/ .748" for 3/4" sizes when new) . Worn that far isn't going to last very long and will tear up the axle , even with a full-length bushing installed . I installed the D's new front spindles last night after finishing the counter bores - the tool I built works great so far but needs some adjustments done .

20161123_203712[1].jpg

20161123_200903[1].jpg

The bushings are 1/16" wall thickness , anything over that and you really risk weakening the axle casting too much . I try to keep it at a minimum to prevent any possibility of breakage . Basically , what I'm doing is the same procedure for rebuilding HD truck front axles that use heavy brass alloy bushings and hardened king pins with a press slip fit tolerance .By using the full length bushing it spreads the load along the entire shaft length instead of so much side thrust on the bottom/top 1" or so depending upon which axle casting design , which is what wears them out so badly . I try to keep the fit tolerance down to around .005" for grease clearance - at .020" the bushings will have to be replaced which is pretty easy as they are a light press fit into the axle casting and can be sourced easily from places like McMaster or any decent bearing supplier . I grooved both spindles slightly for the D to allow a channel for grease to be forced down to the bottom roller thrust bearings - we'll see if it helps over time . Originally , as a yearly task those should be cleaned and re-packed with grease or replaced if worn . McMaster carries INA brand US made roller thrust bearings in stock for both the 3/4" and 1" size spindles with the same dimensions as the OEM WH parts .

I also made up some seals for the new roller thrust bearings out of bicycle tubes to help keep dirt out . Too bad those axle castings aren't about 1/4" larger at the spindle in diameter - almost could use Torrington bearings for the spindles and associated hard bearing sleeves - axle would last forever that way .

Hope to finish fitting the trailer hubs , spacers and bearings/seals onto the spindles sometime today between visiting with family and gorging on Holiday food ....

Sarge

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

Well I'm glad I chose wisely and got new Spindles then. Also got new thrust bearings and washers. 

Your work sounds great Sarge! Thanks for the info and replying. Very kind and urgent of you. Looking forward to having you rebuild mine. You are right they will last a long time with a replace able sleeve. I didn't understand why they made only two comparatively small contact points for the spindles to ride on either. And dust boots? Heck yeah! Nice idea. Been thinking about the myzelf... 

So as far as the trailer hubs for the front rims, obviously I'll have to get new rims as well. What are the recommended versions as well as hubs and bearings? Will the original 520 HD bearings work with the suggested hub? 

Hope yours (and everyone else's) Thanksgiving was great! Family time is important. 

• Like 1