Jerry77

rear tire chains

Jerry77

I am trying to use a set of chains that I had for my 312-8 and 314-8..  on my 516H....I replaced the transaxle with an Eaton 1100 and am using the same tires ( 23 x 9.5 x 12 ) that I used on my other tractors...Problem is: the chain is hitting one of the two posts that hold the brake shoe on..I have tried everything I can think of to re-position the chain to get it out of the way - no luck - these were used chains when I bought them, so I don't know what size tire they were for..  thinking they are too big and not going to work, but don't really know..I have tightened them up with many bungee cords, and they still hit the post..thought I would just go ahead and buy the terra grips ( to save my blacktop drive ), but am afraid the same thing will happen...anyone have any input on this??  never had a problem with them until I put the 1100 in......thanks for advice in advance..:)

cleat

I have chains on my 520 and there is plenty of clearance.

Maybe your wheels have the wrong offset.

• Like 2

Racinbob

Are the axles flush with the outside of the hub?

• Like 1

953 nut

Have you considered using a spacer on that side? Same blot patern as a Ford car.

• Like 3

cleat

The 1100 rear end is wide enough that the hubs being flush and up against the axle housing is one and the same.

Rear wheel stud insallation 2.jpg

Here are 2 pics showing my 520 with the smaller wheels and tires just as you have.

New lug nuts 2.jpg

Rear tires installed 1.jpg

Edited by cleat
  • Like 4

Jerry77
6 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Are the axles flush with the outside of the hub

Yeah, they are...what are you thinking?

1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Have you considered using a spacer on that side?

No, I had not thought of that,,, that would be a simple solution - shouldn't affect anything should it?  I have some 3/8 steel that I could fabricate for that - good Idea !

1 minute ago, cleat said:

The 1100 rear end is wide enough that the hubs being flush and up against the axle housing is one and the same

Cleat - your picture shows about 1/4 inch or so of projection - mine are flush...?? also, I see the head of the bolt on the backside of yours - mine are threaded holes - the 1100 I have  is from a 418A..Did they make them different at times???.  Thanks everybody...:)

• Like 1

cleat

Mine are pretty close to flush on all 4 machines. I use bolts threaded in to be able to use regular lug nuts.

Makes changing wheels so much easier, especially if they are loaded with liquid ballast.

So far as I know, all the Eaton 1100's were the same size.

• Like 3

Racinbob
14 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

Yeah, they are...what are you thinking?

No, I had not thought of that,,, that would be a simple solution - shouldn't affect anything should it?  I have some 3/8 steel that I could fabricate for that - good Idea !

Cleat - your picture shows about 1/4 inch or so of projection - mine are flush...?? also, I see the head of the bolt on the backside of yours - mine are threaded holes - the 1100 I have  is from a 418A..Did they make them different at times???.  Thanks everybody...:)

What I was thinking can't happen on a 500 and I didn't know that. Cleat cleared that up. On a lot of Wheel Horses the hub could be pushed closer to the tranny housing causing the axle to protrude maybe about an inch and potential clearance issues. :)

• Like 1

Jerry77
1 hour ago, cleat said:

Maybe your wheels have the wrong offset

The wheels are from a 314-8    ---you may be onto something because I used them and put the 516H wheels on the 314-8 to be able to use my wheel weights - I had made  them for the 314 and they wouldn't fit the wheels on the 516 ( the center impression was different - slightly smaller in all aspects - bolt pattern was the same)....so, the offset may be the problem - if so, I think I will just fabricate a spacer like 953nut said...anyone see a problem with that ? ? :)

Jerry77

So, does anyone know if installing a spacer between the hub and rim will have a negative impact on anything? And could the five holes in the spacer have a little slop in them ?  My brain crawls into neutral when I try to think too far on this.....:blink:

WVHillbilly520H

I don't see any problems with using a spacer as long as you add that much to your bolt/lug length, and as far as a little "sloppy" in holes shouldn't be a problem after torquing the lugs down,Jeff.

• Like 1

DougC

The spacer is the quick, simple and cheapest solution. That's what I would do. You won't have a problem unless you under or over tighten the wheel lug bolts or nuts if you use studs.   :)

• Like 1

Jerry77

Thanks everybody - I'll make a spacer and get longer lug bolts....should do the trick..let's me keep my wheels and weights too.:thanks:

Jerry77
On 11/6/2016 at 3:54 PM, cleat said:

Maybe your wheels have the wrong offset.

Well, cleat was right - different offset on the wheels - I ended up making a shim from 1/8 inch stock and reworking the posts on the brake -gained 3/8 inch and have loads of clearance now - thanks all.....:)

• Like 2