RedRanger

Shower Head Muffler

CasualObserver

Nice!  Just shows there are still NOS ones out there if you know which stones to turn over!

• Like 1

wheelhorseman

Nice score!

Was that the one that was on ebay?

Edited by wheelhorseman1000
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

Very nice!

Put it on something that is a "Trailer Queen" that you won't start & run!

WHX??

I don't even wanna know what you paid for it but nice:handgestures-thumbupright: If you tell me 120 I'm gonna cry and if you tell me 20 I'm gonna bawl more :crying-yellow:...either way I'm never gonna have one.!

You would think somebody would repro, guy could sell a whole run of them here on RS alone and probably retire after the second run!

I personally would put it on a queen for some glamour shots and then take it off and put it in the gun safe!

Threads look huge.. 1/2 or 3/4??

Edited by WHX8
spell

Wishin4a416

You struck gold  Very nice.

• Like 1

RedRanger
1 hour ago, wheelhorseman1000 said:

Nice score!

Was that the one that was on ebay?

Kinda but no.  I bid on that one but lost.  The seller contacted me and offered me a second chance at my bid for this one as he said he had another one.  

He's got a bunch of NOS Wheel Horse parts from an old dealership he's unloading.

48 minutes ago, WHX8 said:

I don't even wanna know what you paid for it but nice:handgestures-thumbupright: If you tell me 120 I'm gonna cry and if you tell me 20 I'm gonna bawl more :crying-yellow:...either way I'm never gonna have one.!

You would think somebody would repro, guy could sell a whole run of them here on RS alone and probably retire after the second run!

I personally would put it on a queen for some glamour shots and then take it off and put it in the gun safe!

Threads look huge.. 1/2 or 3/4??

3/4 inch.  I'm thinking this will get used only for show.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbsup:  Nice :wh: score...

reminds me of this recent NOS score of mine. 

Was able to steal this one for $50 shipped to my door.  :ph34r:

large.IMG_5191.JPG.25030c23ed241fc511acf9e3a8e426d6.JPG

• Like 2

stevebo

The one on ebay went for $147 I believe. Very nice for sure. 

• Like 1

WheelHorseNut

I think that would be easy to make.  A little bit of work to make the tool for the press.  Maybe I'll try to locate a crappy one to copy.

• Like 3

RedRanger
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

:handgestures-thumbsup:  Nice :wh: score...

reminds me of this recent NOS score of mine. 

Was able to steal this one for $50 shipped to my door.  :ph34r:

large.IMG_5191.JPG.25030c23ed241fc511acf9e3a8e426d6.JPG

You should be in prison!  :ph34r:

• Like 2

Ken B
8 hours ago, WheelHorseNut said:

I think that would be easy to make.  A little bit of work to make the tool for the press.  Maybe I'll try to locate a crappy one to copy.

Do it....

953 nut
10 hours ago, WheelHorseNut said:

I assure you there would be a lot of happy :wh: Nuts around the world!   :)

• Like 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, Ken B said:

Do it....

I'll 2nd that motion...

WheelHorseNut

I'm going to look for a crappy one that I can take apart.  It is definitely do-able!

- Jeff

WHX??

Are you saying you are going to make them Buckrancher or just offering up your terrific resto skills?  :bow-yellow:

Deep in the bowels of an old warehouse somewhere therein lies the dies/stamps for making them. Hopefully someday those  fixtures will reappear someday if we all pray hard enough to the muffler gods. Hey its possible, after Lowell's @wheelhorseman1000 chanting to the bearing gods 1533's fell like rain from the heavens!  In the meantime fruitcakes like us are sentenced to 150 dollar ones off fleabay and relentlessly scrounging milk crates at tractor shows, auctions & the dreaded rummage sales. 

Quick.....somebody find WheelHorseNut a crappy one!

• Like 1

WheelHorseNut
1 minute ago, WHX8 said:

Are you saying you are going to make them Buckrancher or just offering up your terrific resto skills?  :bow-yellow:

Deep in the bowels of an old warehouse somewhere therein lies the dies/stamps for making them. Hopefully someday those  fixtures will reappear someday if we all pray hard enough to the muffler gods. Hey its possible, after Lowell's @wheelhorseman1000 chanting to the bearing gods 1533's fell like rain from the heavens!  In the meantime fruitcakes like us are sentenced to 150 dollar ones off fleabay and relentlessly scrounging milk crates at tractor shows, auctions & the dreaded rummage sales. 

Quick.....somebody find WheelHorseNut a crappy one!

You know, that's a great idea -- Given when they were made, I'm guessing they were made in about 7 steps at different stations.  You'd be looking at about 4-5 tools.

1. A blanking tool to cut the top and bottom -- probably done separately as they used the top for different bases and the bases for different tops, so two blanking tools

2. A forming tool for the top

3. A forming tool for the bottom

4. A crimping tool to fold the top's rim over the bottom

The taps and dies for threading are another one but those are simple to do.

If I could get my hands on them, I could put them in our presses and make them immediately... lol  I wonder where they are...  Probably sold off for scrap :mellow:

• Like 1

WHX??

Anybody know who might have made them?? Still in business??

Edited by WHX8

RedRanger
9 minutes ago, WHX8 said:

Anybody know who might have made them?? Still in business??

I believe Kohler. I've seen pictures of NOS in Blue and White Kohler boxes.  

Edited by RedRanger

WheelHorseNut

I'll have to do some research to see who we might be able to talk to and see if they're around somewhere.

WHX??

I got a buddy that works R&D  in the engine plant here in WI....... I'll grill him like a sammich about them. I maybe thought Nelson Silencer might have made them.

I was thinkin even less stations 'Nut where the blanks are sheared & stamp formed in the same press?

Could the blanks be cut on a water jet or plasma table then stamped in a die???

I guess either way one would still need the dies.

Just thinkin out loud here.

So the big question is was is it about them that they are so desirable that makes a guy fork out a week's wage or a days worth of beer money for one?!?!? Originality, sound??..... or just the fact  that they look so  cool on RJ''s, 'burbs & the occasional Lawn Ranger???

Hey :techie-idea: maybe we could get them Made in China or Jap..... never mind ...they would probably be metric and we would have to buy a fifty dollar npt x metric adapter!!!

WheelHorseNut
1 hour ago, WHX8 said:

I got a buddy that works R&D  in the engine plant here in WI....... I'll grill him like a sammich about them. I maybe thought Nelson Silencer might have made them.

I was thinkin even less stations 'Nut where the blanks are sheared & stamp formed in the same press?

Could the blanks be cut on a water jet or plasma table then stamped in a die???

I guess either way one would still need the dies.

Just thinkin out loud here.

So the big question is was is it about them that they are so desirable that makes a guy fork out a week's wage or a days worth of beer money for one?!?!? Originality, sound??..... or just the fact  that they look so  cool on RJ''s, 'burbs & the occasional Lawn Ranger???

Hey :techie-idea: maybe we could get them Made in China or Jap..... never mind ...they would probably be metric and we would have to buy a fifty dollar npt x metric adapter!!!

That's a progressive tool that you're describing.  They're big, very expen$ive, complicated and require a very large press.  Awesome to watch run, though.  Not sure if they had those back when they made those -- maybe.  The steel coil is on one side of the press in a feeder and then it is fed through and every stroke of the press advances the part through various steps of the manufacturing process.  This large part has to be held in two spots (blanked almost all the way around - a trimming on 1/2 of the circle on one stroke, advanced and then trimmed on the other half on the next stroke) so it can be carried through the tool and then would be cut off of the strip at the very end.  I was thinking that labor being what it was back then, and not being sure if they had progressive tools, that they would have individual stations for each step. Plus, for efficiency, if we were just making that one muffler, I'd blank the top and bottom with the same tool.  I was figuring that if they used the tops and bottoms on different mufflers, they probably wouldn't do that.

Edited by WheelHorseNut
Added one more piece of info.

WheelHorseNut

Here's a good image of a strip that gives you an idea on what happens in a progressive tool:

fig3.jpg

Each step does something different to the strip -- well almost... sometimes you have an idle progression where it's just moved through the tool to the next step.  Things like that are determined by the design.  Forming shapes in a part on the strip generally takes place after the trimming/piercing steps, until it goes to last step which is being final trimmed from the strip.  The holes on the strip are how it's advanced through the tool.