clueless

What is this?

clueless

Replacing my bad trans with hopefully a good trans on my 312 this weekend. In the process of removing the seat pan I removed this. I've seen it before and I have an idea of what it does, but can't find it in any of my parts manuals. What is it and what does it do?

-Chris

IMG_5663.JPG

Racinbob

I may be mistaken but I believe it's a damper. It was one of the ways they slowed the engagement of the clutch. It came into play at the end of the idler arm travel. :)

Check out part #53 on page 2 of this parts list for a 1990 312-8.

• Like 4

Sparky

Racinbob is correct. Personally I don't like them and have removed them all from any of my machines that came with it.

Mike.....

• Like 2

clueless

Thanks guys, any down side to not replacing it Mike?

Sparky

None....in my opinion. I prefer to operate the clutch pedal myself and not depend on the damper to control how fast/ slow the drive belt engages.

Mike......

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat:

They had 3 different methods of 'dampening' the clutch release and I didn't like any of them. They were fine for decades without such devices and I remove them as well.:)

• Like 2

Racinbob

Now that it's halftime I'll add to this. I believe the damper you have was the first method. Then they went to a strut much like what is used on hatchbacks, etc. It was mounted in front of the idler arm and pushed it. That setup didn't use a spring but could be removed and a spring added in the usual spot. Finally they went with a damper that was mounted behind the idler arm and used the standard spring on the left side. That's what was on my 2005. The first time I mowed the lawn it drove me nuts. I could just slide my foot off the clutch and wait for it to engage. Since it utilized a spring all I had to do was remove the damper and all was well. :)

OK, back to the game. :banana-rainbow:

clueless

Ok, the less useless stuff I have to reinstall the better! 

• Like 2

Lagersolut
15 hours ago, Sparky said:

None....in my opinion. I prefer to operate the clutch pedal myself and not depend on the damper to control how fast/ slow the drive belt engages.

Mike......

14 hours ago, Racinbob said:

:text-yeahthat:

They had 3 different methods of 'dampening' the clutch release and I didn't like any of them. They were fine for decades without such devices and I remove them as well.:)

Same here , earlier this year the belt started slipping on my 315-8 going up hills and I couldn't figure out why at first - closer inspection revealed the belt stretched a little over the years and the damper was at the end of it's travel ability keeping the spring from putting enough tension on the belt . My thought process was the same - these tractors and belts went decades without this contraption on earlier tractors so will this one and off it came . Wonder how many perfectly good belts those dampers sold ?

• Like 1