Solex

Koehler Command Starter Wiring

Solex

Recently picked up a 1994 Kohler Command 12.5 HP engine, CH12.5S. The starter is different then what I am used to, incorporates a solinoid mounted on top of the unit. It looks like it requires power from two sources to make the starter function. What is the procedure to wire this starter? Where does the addition power come from. My experience is limited to older Magnums where power is limited to one connection off the remote solinoid then to the battery. 

In in addition do you know where I could find a wiring diagram for  1994 Wheelhorse? I believe the company used this engine on some of the later 300 series tractors?

N3PUY

Can you add a picture of the starter?

Solex

See pictures, notice the additional electrical post for the second power connection

20161029_132707.jpg

Walt

Looks like your starter has the solenoid mounted on starter like a GM starter Battery would go to large post and wire from ignition would go on a small post. Picture of end of solenoid with posts showing would be better view of were wires attach.

N3PUY

Top terminal straight to battery (+).

Spade terminal to ignition switch (S).

Bottom terminal is already connected into the starter.

20161029_132707.thumb.jpg.356b7500dff06f23dec3c5206080388f.jpg

• Like 1

Solex

Thanks for the help, didn't even think of going straight off the battery. So what happens now with the other solidnoid attached to the tractor? Will I still need to run power to it, or does the starter mounted solinoid eliminate the need for it?

pfrederi

If all there was were the two heavy wires and one light one from the switch,  take it off