Indiana_Steve

Dozer blade wear strips.

Indiana_Steve

I have a '63 52" dozer blade with a home made wear edge that is extremely thick and homemade. What was(is) the thickness a wear strip should be?

WVHillbilly520H

Factory  thickness 3/16"-1/4",Jeff.

• Like 1

857 horse
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Factory  thickness 3/16"-1/4",Jeff.

:banana-jumprope::banana-tux::banana-tux::banana-angel::banana-angel::text-yeahthat:yep...what my neighbor said.!!!!!  1/4 inch here  and mine is 3 inch tall-----42 wide.....Kung Foo grip is extra..!!    lololool

brought to you by your local Wheel Horse Gentlemen,,,,tomorrow  sunny and seventy....0% chance of snow....!!

• Like 5

Indiana_Steve

Thanks guys. This will be my project for today.

KC9KAS

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Been working on a "new" plow for my GT-14. Information says it will handle a 54" front plow.
I had a couple of fair looking 42" plows, so I took the best parts from both plows and made a nice 54" plow by adding 6" of plow to each side of the best 42".
Now I am working on the plow cutting/wear edge. I wanted the 3/8" square holes for the 3/8" carrage bolts, but wasn't sure where I could get this done.
At my work place they have a "mega-buck" iron worker that will do all kinds of stuff, but they don't have a 3/8" square die...Next best thing is a square broach. I have attached some pictures of the broach, plow wear edge, and the press I used to cut the 3/8" round hles to 3/8" square holes!
This broach is round on the starting end, and is tapered to the opposite end, and is square. I used a press to "push" it through the steel.
Square_Broach.jpg
P03163829.jpg
P03163829-1.jpg
P03163851.jpg
P03170451.jpg

Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 4

roadapples

I`ve done this many times with a square file. Really doesn`t take that long..

WVHillbilly520H

Or really on the cheap ,with the mild steel and minimal thickness of the cutting/wear edge drill oversized just enough for the square corners still "bite" while "drawing" the nuts down the carriage bolt will cut its own square and hold just like broaching it,Jeff.

• Like 2

Tankman

If the edge is fab'd from 3" wide stock, double holes.

Edge mounted to the lowest holes, when worn remount using the higher set of holes.

Flip the edge when req'd and go again. :handgestures-thumbupright:

PS. SS carriage bolts, locking nuts and Never-Seeze.

Picked up a free Craftsman blade, what for I don't have a clue but was free.

The previous owner added a squeegee edge. Interesting. A cut off tire tread.

blade_craftsman.png

Edited by Tankman

Sarge

There is a seller on the net - www.discountsteel.com that carries 1055 high carbon steel wear bars that are tapered for cutting edges . I just installed one on a 6-1142 54" dozer blade for my D180 . Seems like fairly good iron judging by how it welded up since the blade itself was worn to the point that the bolt holes wouldn't work any longer . It can be drilled as well , just use good quality cobalt bits and lube - I prefer TD Foamy and some of the Fastenal stores stock it . That lube is amazing for cutting bits and tap/die work....

There is also a seller on Ebay with some hardened steel edges , but I'd highly suspect it's imported from China .

Four-square files work to finish off the mounting holes....

Sarge

• Like 1