Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

Buying a Wheel Horse

Coadster32

I have two 551 Suburbans. One is under a full restore. :hide: The other is together, but am using for best parts, and used it a couple of times to plow. With weights, it's working ok on a few inches of snow. I just committed to but a charger 12 in good running condition with a 48"plow for $250 locally. It looks pretty complete, exept for it needs a new brake on the PTO, and a plow bracket. Battery is new, electric start works good, sheet metal is good, motor runs strong, and lights work. This is all sight unseen. I thought once I get the restore back together, I could sell the parts 551 to cover the cost of the charger. I thought maybe the charger would handle more, as I don't want to beat on the suburban. I'd like to keep both suburbans, but that has to be smooth talked thru. Does the charger 12 a hi/low tranny? It looks like it will be a bit heavier than the 551. Any thoughts?? :D

WHC-125

If I were you I would buy the Charger depeneding on the condition, then keep the Suburbans, and just keep on buying Wheel horses :hide: :D

T-Mo

The Charger 12's were automatics (hydrostatics), so they did not have the hi/lo range. They had the Sundstrand 90-2046 hydrodstatic transmission.

TT

A Charger is a hydro. (automatic)

You should NEVER buy a hydro unless you are able to test the operation of the transmission after the oil has been heated to operating temperature.

As for the PTO brake - it should have never had one, so that would explain why it needs one. They weren't used until 1973, and the last year for the Charger was 1972. :hide:

Selling a 551 "parts tractor" for $250 to cover the cost of the Charger is also something I can't see happening. Unless you find someone who's really desperate, you'd be hard pressed to get that if it ran & drove.

stevebo

Did you buy that from Cory in Bethlehem??

WHC-125

Steve, is this the one you were talking about? :hide:

I was thinking about getting it too but I was thinking what TT was thinking

Charger 12

Coadster32

Did you buy that from Cory in Bethlehem??

Yes but should I be a little concerned about that? I know Stevebo lives somewhere in Ct. Will I be beating on a hydrostat if I use it for plowing? I'm not planning on using the PTO, but if it works well.. :hide: The parts suburban, as I call it, is really pretty complete. I just want to focus on getting one as perfected as possible.

is this the one you were talking about?

That's the critter. I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but he agreed to pull the auction for me.

JimD

I'd like to keep both suburbans, but that has to be smooth talked thru.

sweet talk needs to have logic, as in: "you know dear, with the extra tractors, if there is a breakdown, we won't have to rysh around trying to find parts to get one running again bacause we will have backuos. then we can fix the breakdown as money permits. this worked for me......once. :hide:

WHC-125

Coadster32 its ok I found a mint conditon 702 im going to buy that was restored with a spray gun and has a plow w/ cast iron wheel weights :banana: :horseplay:

Coadster32

Picked up the charger 12 last night. :banana: :banana: It runs sweet. The plow that came with it is like brand new. It's a toro plow so I know it's at least kind of new. I still have to heat up the tranny to see the real deal, but it's pretty cold here now. I have to pickup a bracket for the plow. There are a couple on e-bay right now. I just don't want to get desperate and pay through the *** for it. I'll try to :hide: pics tonight. Hydrostatic drive kick butt!! :hide: :D

Teddy da Bear

Nice score. :hide:

WheelHorse_of_course

Yeah, I think you will like the Charger. FYI most parts are the same as the later C series autos.

Just a couple of initial warnings to introduce you

1) It is recommended in cold weather to warm the engine, then engage the drive cluth (AKA release the parking brake) and then the trans warm up for several minutes before moving.

2) Check your trans fluid. If it is red and less viscous than engine oil you have the original fluid. Modern cross is Dextron II or III.

If it looks like oil it is 30 wt engine oil

It i impossible to know what is in there since it may have been rebuilt. You will want to continue using whatever is in it.

Anyway, congrats on getting a good tractor :hide: :banana:

:D

Rod(NASNUT)

Coadster32 That charger will work fine to plow snow I have used a 1968 Charger 9 for the last 8 or 10 years and I love the HYD for plowing plus mine has the HYD lift :hide: Just do what WheelHorse_of_course said when it is cold and it will work fine :D

stevebo

the guy your bought from is a good guy. good luck with your new ride.

WHC-125

Steve,

Thats where you got the Vacum System that I got from you from? :hide:

95awd2008

so are you selling the Suburbans or parting them i need a hood

Coadster32

Thanks alot, you guys are antogonistic to the disease of the horse. :omg: I rode it today for about 40minutes to warm up the tranny. It worked perfectly. I idled all the way up a respectible hill, and it pulled no problem. :D TT got me worried about the tranny, I got lucky, but know what to look for next time. Cory was a good guy, but I forgot to get the decals he had with it. :hide: Here are the pics. It looks like most things are there. The headlight cover is missing and it has an external coil on it, missing a lug nut, and something on the dash is missing also?? The PTO works good, cigarette lighter works, but I don't smoke. It has transmission fluid in it, and a newer filter. A new battery, and the plow is good. No smokes, no leaks, and it fires right up. It charges pretty good also. Anything else you guys can see, and does anybody have pics of an electric winch setup for the plow??:hide: As for the suburban parts, I took the smooth talking advice, and have cleared it with the boss, to keep the suburbans!! :banana: I officially have a herd! :omg:

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0043.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0045.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

DSCF0048.jpg

DSCF0049.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

That rectangular hole is for the Light Switch. It looks like someone put in a toggle switch to replace it.

You are going to need to find/buy a front hitch for it - these were optional back then and are NOT the same as a C. Have a look in the photos section.

Nice hrose :horseplay:

:hide:

stevebo

coadster,

if i did not have 6 tractors at home i may have bought that one before you. when i bought my mid mount grader blade from cory, he showed it to me. it was tempting however i need to slow down. i just bought another one tonight -simplicity landlord 101. real cool looking tractor... good luck with it. cory seems like he (and his dad) get his tractors mechanically sound.

Teddy da Bear

Not a bad score! :D

Things wrong? The hood is the wrong color

(but I kinda like it! :hide: ) :hide:

Coadster32

Things wrong? The hood is the wrong color (but I kinda like it! )

I'm with you on that one. :D A little more stagegically placed black pcs, and it would all come together. On that subject, check out these pics from my 551 restore. :hide: I need to start a thread in the restore section. Black in in my future.

DSCF0028.jpg

Sing this to rolling stones ... I got a Wheel Horse and I want to paint it black.

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

I am using a combonation of wire wheel, sand blasting, and electrolisys to clean parts. I have to admit, I was a little scared to hook a car battery up to a pale of water, but it works awesome. :omg: Check out the other threads on this for details.

DSCF0034.jpg

Sorry that was :hide: but the black thing came up. Anyway, the front tires on the charger 12 are toe in ,and the right side is cambered way off. There doesn't seem to be much adjustment to correct this. Perhaps the spindles are bent? Would the spindles off a C-series fit? :omg: