Retired Wrencher

It pays to buy the right belt.

Retired Wrencher

I have a 1973 W/Horse 8 and I put a Dayco belt on it 82"by5/8. It was fine as long you where just driving it but once you put pressure on it all I heard was squealing under the belt guard. And the thing was I was only back dragging with the plow. Tranny seem to bind up a lot. But now with a 7473  is 81.9" by 5/8" W/Horse belt on and  that is all gone I can push stones with no bind up or squealing. So I say do it right the first time. I got off of E-... it was here in 2 days.:D Just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 6

Sparky

I've always been an advocate of buying the belt from your local WH/Toro dealer if possible. It avoids all the hassle that you went thru Gary.

Mike....

• Like 8

Shynon
8 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I've always been an advocate of buying the belt from your local WH/Toro dealer if possible. It avoids all the hassle that you went thru Gary.

Mike....

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 5

stevasaurus

Excellent news Gary!!  The right drive belt is always the best answer.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 5

squonk

Funny, I've got all TSC or Napa green belts on everything and never an issue. We just had a discussion on belts on another thread. WH spec'd HA belts years ago and they were different. but my research tells me they were only different in material used. Basically the same as a green or Kevlar TSC belt.

Right from Q Power Products:

HA, HB, and HC belts are dimensionally similar to A, B, and C industrial belts described in Rubber Manufacturers Association standard IP-20.  However, the constructions differ in tensile members, cord placement, compounds, and fabric in the case of wrapped belts.  In addition to our Q–Power® V–Belts we also manufacture the classical A, B, and C industrial belts that are built to Rubber Manufacturers Association specifications.

One thing that does happen when buying belts, ALWAYS check the belt to be sure it is the  correct belt in the sheath. Quite often belts get returned and but in the wrong sheath. Working at a Napa store for 10 years taught me this. It happens a lot and unless you're paying attention you could end up with the wrong belt in your hands.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

Elkskin's mower junkyard
1 hour ago, T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER. said:

I have a 1973 W/Horse 8 and I put a Dayco belt on it 82"by5/8. It was fine as long you where just driving it but once you put pressure on it all I heard was squealing under the belt guard. And the thing was I was only back dragging with the plow. Tranny seem to bind up a lot. But now with a 7473  is 81.9" by 5/8" W/Horse belt on and  that is all gone I can push stones with no bind up or squealing. So I say do it right the first time. I got off of E-... it was here in 2 days.:D Just my :twocents-02cents:

dads has some squeeling too and we used a dayco 82 by 5/8s on it too. but we replaced trans also due to no 3rd gear lol.

i usually run tsc belts i really dont care for dayco or gates

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
3 minutes ago, squonk said:

Funny, I've got all TSC or Napa green belts on everything and never an issue. We just had a discussion on belts on another thread. WH spec'd HA belts years ago and they were different. but my research tells me they were only different in material used. Basically the same as a green or Kevlat TSC belt.

Right from Q Power Products:

HA, HB, and HC belts are dimensionally similar to A, B, and C industrial belts described in Rubber Manufacturers Association standard IP-20.  However, the constructions differ in tensile members, cord placement, compounds, and fabric in the case of wrapped belts.  In addition to our Q–Power® V–Belts we also manufacture the classical A, B, and C industrial belts that are built to Rubbmot10 to 20 Hp er Manufacturers Association specifications.

Mike all I can say is the new belt looks to be softer. The other is more on line for heavy duty electric motor drive. This is a harder looking belt. But any way I am a happy camper now.:)

• Like 2

squonk

Belt material can make a big difference. We had a guy with an old Meyers belt drive pump for his snowplow. He couldn't get that bel to stop slipping no matter what he did. He decided to try a real cheapie belt line we offered and it solved his problem. (I think his pulleys were shot and the soft belt grabbed better. :) )

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Mike....

Mile the only thing I see with your post is some of the older models like early 60`s to late. These belts are hard to find if at all. I know some of my models can not find. Just my :twocents-02cents:

Tankman

Never had a problem using Huskee Kevlar belts.

There's a TSC down the road, belts are on the shelf usually. I never had to order a belt or replace a Kevlar belt.

Green, yes. Green means "oil resistant".   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Sarge

My .02....

The cloth covered belts use the dirt they pick up to slowly destroy pulleys - I've put enough hours on decks , hydro trans and such to see it first hand . I prefer to stick to a non-covered belt like the Q-Power industrial , or original WH belts and some Toro replacements that do not have a cover . Seems they last quite a lot longer as well .

There is a dimensional difference in HA versus the common A belt used in most applications . WH used HA profile to match their hd pulleys . If you want to see a difference , run an A belt on an old hydro and let it sit at full song for awhile with the belt drive disengaged - it will burn the belt since it cannot "glide" over the pulley like an older HA belt . Wish I could find the engineering drawings - I know they are on this stupid computer somewhere....

If you use a set of profile gauges to measure the included angles on an original NOS pulley compared to a modern A belt pulley - there is a slight difference being the HA is a higher angle of attack .

Sarge

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher
18 hours ago, Sarge said:

My .02....

The cloth covered belts use the dirt they pick up to slowly destroy pulleys - I've put enough hours on decks , hydro trans and such to see it first hand . I prefer to stick to a non-covered belt like the Q-Power industrial , or original WH belts and some Toro replacements that do not have a cover . Seems they last quite a lot longer as well .

There is a dimensional difference in HA versus the common A belt used in most applications . WH used HA profile to match their hd pulleys . If you want to see a difference , run an A belt on an old hydro and let it sit at full song for awhile with the belt drive disengaged - it will burn the belt since it cannot "glide" over the pulley like an older HA belt . Wish I could find the engineering drawings - I know they are on this stupid computer somewhere....

If you use a set of profile gauges to measure the included angles on an original NOS pulley compared to a modern A belt pulley - there is a slight difference being the HA is a higher angle of attack .

Sarge

Sarge sounds like you did some research on this. :text-goodpost: I always try to buy original when I can. Thanks for the post.

JC 1965

I buy toro belts, works for me.     :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

TDF5G
5 hours ago, JC 1965 said:

I buy toro belts, works for me.     :twocents-02cents:

:text-yeahthat: I've never had any problems with the Wheel Horse/Toro belts. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Usually the TSC belts work fine for me... until I hook up a plow.... just seems like the Toro belts do grab better ...:twocents-twocents:

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I will comment, on my recently purchased C-175 I just installed a factory toro belt. For the 32 bucks it was a no brainer to go with original. Works perfect!

Glenn

• Like 3