ohiofarmer

So happy the conversion to coil ignition works

ohiofarmer

Well, i decided to take a chance on a non-running Raider12 for 250.00. I was pretty bummed that I could get no spark as the mag ignition was not producing spark, but after talking to a local small engine shop, he said that he has converted plenty of them [so long as they are equipped with points]. To test whether or not the engine would fire, i chose not to involve any of the existing wiring harness. I grounded the jump battery to the block, ran a positive jump wire to the coil positive and then hooked up the condenser and points  stolen from my Raider 10,  Jumped to the starter and hit it

With a bit of carb cleaner in the carb throat---well, Houston, we have liftoff. There is still a lot to do and not much time available right now, but i am very happy to have a Raider12 runner in the stable. Once i get the gas tank hooked up and see if the charging stator works, it will be time to order a complete electrical system . Points, condenser, coil,Ign. switch, and regulator. Probably will need a solenoid with the new switch as the existing switch goes direct to the starter. The old switch is for mag ign. and we may as well make it like the other tractor

It is very exciting to hear an engine run on the born again tractor

On edit:   The Hydro Transmission works as well! A true Runner at 250.00. It also has a nice 42"SD, but the double d center drive pulley has the bottom V fractured off when the belt broke on the previous owner. I either need a new pulley or a new spindle unit. Any way you cut it, I have a complete back-up tractor for my beloved Raider 10, so all is good. When I added a temporary tank, the engine ran very well. Gotta go to work now....

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 5

oldredrider

Raiders only came with manual transmissions. Maybe you have a Charger or Electro?

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Yes, it is an electro. A dealer said with my numbers that it was born in '68

Elkskin's mower junkyard

on some k series with the ssi and trigger you can drill out the points box holes on those blocks and tap the 2 holes for threads. i have NOT done this personally. but a old guy told me that he has done lots of old k series that the ssi went out. just pop oil pan off drill holes from outside engine and tap screw holes. and clean up all metal before putting pan on. those cams already have the spot for points plunger (NOTE THIS DONT WORK FOR MAGNUMS)

• Like 2