JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

1996 520H with 2 stage snowthrower

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

Your setup seems to add as much weight as mine.

I added a hitch and 100 lbs of barbell weights.  I'm hoping that is enough.  150lbs of wheel weights, 100+ lbs of barbells and my 250+ should be enough.  At least I hope so.  We'll see.  I hope you are right about climbing a tree Jeff.

Kurt, can we see that hitch barbell weight set up please. The reason I ask is I have one of the vendor rear hitches I bought, I was trying to figure how to use it for rear weight. I do have 2,,70lb cast wheel weights for the rear tires. But considering the weight of the blower I knew I would need more weight to counter balance and offset it. Thanks.

Glenn

Kurt-NEPA

I did a real simple barbell weight hitch, Glenn.  Sized to fit some weight I picked up from a neighbor for $20.

Weight Hitch 2.jpg

Weigth Hitch 1.jpg

The weights were only 10 and 15 pounders.  I would rather have heavier cast iron weights, but that would require a hitch extension.  I used 1" threaded rod and still have to cut off the excess.

I'm going to test this on the first snowfall.  Might make some modifications, maybe figure out how to add more weight if needed.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Very simple with the threaded rod, buy hey, it works. Thanks Kurt.

Glenn

Forest Road

You can never have enough weight hanging off the rear. I have a ballast box w a 5 gallon gas can inside. Typically run 4-44lb suitcase weights on the sides. 

Forward motion is rarely a problem. Most of my tire slippage happens in reverse. Usually due to the extra snow behind the two stage. Keep in mind I'm 265 and also run wheel weights. 

Edited by Forest Road
  • Like 1

Kurt-NEPA
22 minutes ago, Forest Road said:

Forward motion is rarely a problem. Most of my tire slippage happens in reverse. Usually due to the extra snow behind the two stage. Keep in mind I'm 265 and also run wheel weights. 

I've got the same problem Forest.  My driveway is down hill,  Going down is not a problem unless I get hung up and have to back up the hill.  That is when the spinning starts.  I've been using chains, 75 pound wheel weight and my 265 lbs.  They help, but I still need more.  I'm going to try the 120lbs of barbell weight hanging out the back and see it that works.  If yes, then I may get more sophisticated. Maybe 3 suitcase weights.

• Like 1

Forest Road

Just about done welding this one up for my Xi. Plan is to have a removable boat trailer hand winch stick out rear. And a small pulley mounted to shackle above. I have a bunch of dead balsam trees around the property. They certainly don't weigh much. I do believe the boat winch w a cordless drill should bring them in rather fast.

IMG_6826_zpsmmkgwx7n.jpg

http://rs994.pbsrc.com/albums/af69/skimore74/Mobile Uploads/IMG_6825_zpsego06han.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Heres the my 314 w the old weight box and rack. Having a spare 5 gallons while snow blowing the neighbors has come in handy more than once.

Edited by Forest Road
  • Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

Nice Job Forest!  Well done!  -  I may steal that plan

Forest Road

Go right ahead. You wouldn't be the first. The other one I originally made for 314 works well. It sticks out so far that when I'm riding up on something with the loader it bottoms out. This one sticks out a minimum. Which is why the winch will be removable. 

• Like 1