Junkers88

Tubes vs new tires?

Junkers88

1970-something B-80. Rear tires are 22x7.50-12. One of them is so dry rotted that it's got holes in it and we're having a hard time finding a tire that doesn't cost us two weeks worth of gas to get back and forth to work. I mean honestly these things are expensive! I'd like to get an inner tube to use for a season and then buy all new tires once we get past the holidays, yes we live on that tight of a budget so that as much as possible goes into savings.

Any practical reason not to use a $10 tube for the next 6 months? The other three tires are ok with only one of them having a slow leak but they are dry rotted as well.

Thank you for your time.

Richard.

• Like 1

cleat

Well, unless you are going to be driving down the highway at 100 I don't see the problem.

Worst case is the tire rips wide open and the tube pops out a bit.

At that point you know the answer.

These tires are only inflated to 12 PSI so a dangerous blowout should not be an issue.

• Like 7

Wheel-N-It

Sure, get another 6 months out of that tire if that's what you need to do. I've been trying to get a little extra mileage out the tires on a couple of my Wheel Horses too. A full set of tires is not cheap !

• Like 4

bmsgaffer

Keep an eye out for a tractor salvage yard. You might be able to find a used tire that you can get for not much money. (Unless you happen to find a WH wheel I would just get the tire as WH has a pretty shallow backspace). I think you can also throw on a set of 23 x 8.5 x 12 which are a little more common and it will only change your ride height half an inch or so. You may be able to get a good used tire for less than a tube.

Or maybe post a wanted ad here and someone can ship you something maybe? Who knows! These people are pretty helpful! 

• Like 7

Junkers88
14 minutes ago, bmsgaffer said:

Keep an eye out for a tractor salvage yard. You might be able to find a used tire that you can get for not much money. (Unless you happen to find a WH wheel I would just get the tire as WH has a pretty shallow backspace). I think you can also throw on a set of 23 x 8.5 x 12 which are a little more common and it will only change your ride height half an inch or so. You may be able to get a good used tire for less than a tube.

Or maybe post a wanted ad here and someone can ship you something maybe? Who knows! These people are pretty helpful! 

Ah I hadn't considered a salvage yard. Heck I don't need much of a tire just something to get us through the next few months. Thank you!

Richard

• Like 3

Don1977

You might find a couple of used ATV tires that will fit. Some ATV owners like to up grade to a rougher tread when there tire are still in good shape.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

I would also check Craigslist. Several mounted wheels / tires available around me right now...Cheap.

Keep in mind, if tires are really bad, putting tubes in may damage the sidewall beyond re-use...Ask me how I know...I ended up getting new tires which now have tubes as well!

Also - not thinking snow is a big issue for you, but if you put chains on they tend to destroy dry rot tires...That's what toasted mine...

Good luck!

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Find another :wh: just for the tires. :lol:

• Like 4

dells68

Now that there is some thinking Craig!  Great way to start the herd multiplying!

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Too bad you don't live in PeeeAaaaa Richard.

You could have what you need.

IMG_4913.JPG

• Like 9

BOB ELLISON

I use tube's in some of my tires when I fill them with rv antifreeze. No problem  but you will have a very hard time getting them in a old dry tire. You'll have to take them to a tire store to have a machine brake them down and that will add another expence to them. Other then that tube's  work fine in all tires.

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

Sometimes you can find a local tire guy that will have used ones especially in rural areas 

• Like 1

TDF5G
48 minutes ago, BESTDOGEVER said:

Sometimes you can find a local tire guy that will have used ones especially in rural areas 

:text-yeahthat:

I would check with any tire shops that deal in used tires, especially the "mom and pop" shops.  Also you might check with local lawn mower shops or farm and implement dealers that do service work.

I put tubes in the front tires of my '77 B-80 about 20 years ago after they developed slow leaks.  Still holding air.  

• Like 1

Junkers88

Thanks for all the replies folks. I found a local "Lawnmower and chainsaw repair" shop that has a pile of tires out back. Figured I'd haul my chains in to get sharpened while I'm looking for an inexpensive replacement tire. If I can't find a used tire that works I'll just order a tube and go from there.

Richard.

Oh and I am not buying another tractor so that I can use it for parts. I've done that with IH Scout diesels in the past and it really really didn't end well. :) 

• Like 4

DougC

Glad you found the used tire headquarters in your area Richard.  That's what I plan to do when my old tires give up!  :)

953 nut

:WRS:     Stick around, the member here have a wealth of knowledge to share.  One more thing,     :wwp:

Junkers88
24 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:     Stick around, the member here have a wealth of knowledge to share.  One more thing,     :wwp:

Hehe. Just because you asked here is my $80 B-80.

Richard

B-80.jpg

• Like 8

roadapples

Seen worse than that on here come back to life....patience...:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
On 10/4/2016 at 9:39 PM, Junkers88 said:

1970-something B-80. Rear tires are 22x7.50-12. One of them is so dry rotted that it's got holes in it and we're having a hard time finding a tire that doesn't cost us two weeks worth of gas to get back and forth to work. I mean honestly these things are expensive! I'd like to get an inner tube to use for a season and then buy all new tires once we get past the holidays, yes we live on that tight of a budget so that as much as possible goes into savings.

Any practical reason not to use a $10 tube for the next 6 months? The other three tires are ok with only one of them having a slow leak but they are dry rotted as well.

Thank you for your time.

Richard.

dont just look at wheel horses either. sears used that size on the cheap suburban version of tractors (suburban and base model of the sears suburbans. the better model was the ss line) also the custom line of sears used them too.

benji756

the only problem I can see with putting a tube in it is if the tire is bad enough it will finish it off when you break it down to install the tube

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
4 hours ago, benji756 said:

the only problem I can see with putting a tube in it is if the tire is bad enough it will finish it off when you break it down to install the tube

:text-yeahthat:... Been there, done that...

• Like 1

TDF5G
8 hours ago, benji756 said:

4 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-yeahthat:... Been there, done that...

:text-yeahthat: Yep, been there, done that also!

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I've tubed several leakers with success.  One advantage is you can then fill the tires with whatever liquid weight you want.

• Like 2

midpack
On 10/5/2016 at 6:09 AM, AMC RULES said:

Find another :wh: just for the tires. :lol:

gotta watch the backspace there too. I picked up a '90 312 classic and there's a difference between my '80 C-175 wheels, both sets are 12" rims

bmsgaffer
5 minutes ago, midpack said:

gotta watch the backspace there too. I picked up a '90 312 classic and there's a difference between my '80 C-175 wheels, both sets are 12" rims

I had that issue once too, then I realized that one of the tractors had replacement wheels. All WH wheels have had the same backspace since they started using the wide ones in 65 or so, so one of yours have replacements. :handgestures-thumbupright:

But it is fair to still double check cause you never know which ones have originals or not unless you measure.

• Like 1