Dennys502

5XI Specifications

Dennys502

Here is something for the 5XI owners. I just ran across this the other day. This is the Original Specifications that the 5XI was designed around. 

scan.jpg

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

scan0007.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan0009.jpg

scan0010.jpg

scan0011.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

scan0014.jpg

• Like 8

bmsgaffer

This is very interesting to see what the design spec was (it apears to be after the second revision of prototypes), and what they accomplished.

Even more interesting is that the tractor had a design life of 500 hours!? I am hoping that means before large maintenance is required... You would think they would design a top of the line tractor to last more than 5 or so years... And to be fair they did, but interesting specs!

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Thank you for sharing! Amazing to read through with what was proposed and then to see how the 5xi was actually produced. It appears that the 518xi was intended to be a price leader with less capacity components installed. Thankfully the only differences became the size of the steering wheel (14" vs 15"), cruise control, and a lower seatback. The axle and spindles are the same across all five models. The rest is the same as the 520xi, and only missing the power steering of the 522xi, 520Lxi, and 523Dxi.

A minor item but the taillights were actually designed for this model and not off the shelf from other Wheel Horse models. Unfortunately the toolbox incorporated in the seat didn't make it. Interesting how the transaxle was a re-design of the Wheel Horse transaxle with the Eaton transmission 11 once again used. Too bad the ability to lock it wasn't added. I found it fascinating that the slope of the hood was dictated by the Kawasaki engine's air filter housing! The mention of alternate engines considered makes me wonder what they would have been like. A Vanguard engined 5xi or a Mitsubishi engined 5xi is food for thought.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

The greasable tie rods like the 520s would have been a welcome item, but hey got to save a $ for the bottom line, oh well hopefully once I get the new injection pump on and injectors rebuilt I "should" have my 282 hr DXi up and running as it does need tie rod ends too, and the fact that TORO had the forethought to keep old tooling/design to make attachments parts, and some say TORO hurt WH,Jeff.

Screenshot_2016-09-30-06-01-48.png

Screenshot_2016-09-30-06-03-33.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

Snowmobileaddict

Too bad they couldn't have included the front tapered wheel bearings as indicated in the posted design criteria.

Dennys502

The engineer who dd the work on the trans axle worked at Wheel  Horse and was brought in for the project. He had a design for a diff lock but didn't make it to the final design due to cost. He owns a farm in Indiana and was a great person to work with. 

I put the tapered bearing wheels on my 5xi. I used parts from a 520 and made the spindles to adapt them.

Cost and making clearance for the large tie rods due to limited room under the tractor with the deck on killed that.

There were a lot of engines being considered besides the ones which made it to production.

Perkins Diesel

Mitsubishi Diesel

Kubota Diesel

The Mitsubishi Diesel made the most Torque of the diesels and had the flattest Torque curve - almost flat across it - within 1 ft lb of torque from 2200 rpm to 3200 rpm.

The Kohler 22 had a nearly identical torque curve but generated about 2 ft lbs less torque across it.

The Kawasaki FD620 made the most torque of all the engines at 33 ft lbs but peaked and 2200 rpm's and fell off to a little under 30 at 3200 rpms

The engines were rated from 2200 rpm to 3200 rpm which was considered the max and governed.

The Original Spec sheet date was May of 1995 but engines were being tested in 1994 in preparation for the build.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
13 hours ago, Dennys502 said:

The engineer who dd the work on the trans axle worked at Wheel  Horse and was brought in for the project. He had a design for a diff lock but didn't make it to the final design due to cost. He owns a farm in Indiana and was a great person to work with. 

I'll be wishing that Toro had agreed with him this winter - when I get stuck in a certain spot at the end of my driveway!  :occasion-snowman:

DennisThornton
On 9/29/2016 at 1:26 PM, Dennys502 said:

Here is something for the 5XI owners. I just ran across this the other day. This is the Original Specifications that the 5XI was designed around. 

scan.jpg

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

scan0007.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan0009.jpg

scan0010.jpg

scan0011.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

scan0014.jpg

Wondering if you could attach that as a single file? If not I will DL each image but it would be handy for others as well to have a single file.

Dennys502

Here it is in a Word Document. I can do a PDF if needed.

5xi_original_specs.docx

• Like 1

DennisThornton
14 hours ago, Dennys502 said:

Here it is in a Word Document. I can do a PDF if needed.

5xi_original_specs.docx

That is great!  However not everyone will be able to open a ".docx" but indeed the PDF version would be rather universally manageable.  

Thanks!

Dennys502

Here is a PDF of it along with a chart of the dyno results for the engines.

5xi_specs.pdf

Engine torque.jpg