Chris G

New RJ project

Chris G

Just picked up this RJ! She needs work but that's no problem here. Any idea on years would be great.

IMG_20160925_112301717.jpg

IMG_20160925_112309380.jpg

IMG_20160925_112318767_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160925_112345675_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160925_112327580.jpg

IMG_20160925_112507052.jpg

IMG_20160925_112451015.jpg

• Like 9

rj35hunter

That is a later RJ58 with Suburban attachments. The plow bracket bolted to front of tractor was used to bolt a Suburban 60-61 style plow to a RJ frame....I have one just like it too.....does it have the serial number decal still on frame towards the left front on top?

• Like 2

wallfish

RJ-58/59

Appears to have more signs of a 59 with the solid seat and casting number in the trans but since no one has ever seen an original ID tag with RJ-59 on it, they are all considered to be RJ-58 IMO.

Deck is a 1961

• Like 6

Chris G

I don't see any serial numbers anywhere. 

• Like 1

wallfish

Sticker would've been on the left frame rail up front, right behind the hood. Most are long gone because it was just a sticker.

Uncle Buck

What was the first year for the one piece Uni-Drive rear end? That would place this one earlier than that year. Anyone know?

ACman
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

RJ-58/59

Appears to have more signs of a 59 with the solid seat and casting number in the trans but since no one has ever seen an original ID tag with RJ-59 on it, they are all considered to be RJ-58 IMO.

Deck is a 1961

Agree with @wallfish later 59 with solid seat pan , that was used on 1960 sububans .

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

What was the first year for the one piece Uni-Drive rear end? That would place this one earlier than that year. Anyone know?

@Uncle Buck I believe 61 was the first year for the two piece uni-drive trans . Will let some of the experts chime in on this .

wallfish
1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

That RJ-58 pictured has a 3 piece trans and 1961 introduced a 2 piece trans case on the 551 and 701. Not sure what a 1 piece trans is.

• Like 2

Uncle Buck
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

That RJ-58 pictured has a 3 piece trans and 1961 introduced a 2 piece trans case on the 551 and 701. Not sure what a 1 piece trans is.

I meant to indicate the 2 piece you speak of and incorrectly chose my words in describing it.

AMC RULES

What's up with the shortened hood?  :scratchead:

953 nut
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

shortened hood?

Looks like the frame was lengthened to accommodate the snow plow bracket.

Chris G

No frame is normal length. The front of the hood is just not bolted down and it is bent back a little. If you look closely at the front view you can see were the hood creases out on the sides. But like I said she's a project but it's a good one in my book!

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 1