Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

transaxle bearing leak

stevebo

Haapy new year !!

My C175 is leaking fluid out of the right rear axle seal. Th hub looks to have been pushed into the seal. My question is how bid of a job is it to change the seal? How does it come out? Can it be pulled out with some type of puller? Should anything else be replaced? and what would a dealer charge? I need to know as I will be negociating in the morning with a potential buyer. It would make sense to call a dealer however won't be able to find one onnew year's day... Be safe !!

JimD

to remove the seal, take off the wheel and the hub, then use athin screwdriver to pry it out and remove it. clean the axle shaft with emory cloth and some light lubricant. carefully replace the seal over the axle to avoid damaging the rubber on the inside diameter of the seal. seat it by lightly tapping it into place. don't know what a dealer would charge.

jtmoyer

i changed on one of my 520's over the summer. i had to put a small screw in the the out side of the seal and pulled it out with pliers. i used a large socket and a rubber mallet to drive the seal in evenly. so easy i wish i had done it sooner.

Sparky

The seal is probably about $15-20 and a dealer will hit you with at least an hour which around here is $60-70. I bet you would be paying close to $100 to have ONE side done.

Mike........

Kelly

Sounds like the hub should come off ok, if it's moved inward to ruin the seal, I have a C101 that they drove so long that way the hub ate the housing to the point you can't put a seal in it any more, Oh ya if its a hydro the seal is a bit tuffer the stick shift tractors are a thinner seal and pry out easier, remember to clean the axle and I lightly sand with fine sand paper or emery cloth to smooth up the axle so you don't hurt the new seal installing it, a light coat of grease on the axle helps to.

stevebo

Guys,

Sounds easy just as I thought. Will get it done as the hub was already off the tractor no problem.

Happy New Year !!!!

glenn27

I always put a thin layer of silicone sealer around the outer edge of the seal circumference--just in case the houseing is a little rough...that will take up any difference. I used a piece of short, like 1-3/8" piece of pvc to drive it up there squarely. I pried mine out with an old thin--bent at the end screwdriver...

I think the seals for my C-120 A were about $7 ea. from Toro, and it took the dealer forever to get them...

glenn

TT

Here's a a few other little pieces of advice.....

Use a FINE file to clean up the edges around the keyseat in the axle and the divots from the set screws. It also doesn't hurt to wrap some electrical tape around the axle to protect the seal lip during installation. (if you don't have seal installation sleeves.) Start wrapping at the end of the housing tube and work out to the end so the tape edges are covered.

Pack the back side and the inside of the seal with some "hard grease" prior to installation so it doesn't burn up when the axle turns for the first time.

Remember - if there is too much play in the bearing, a new seal won't last very long until it starts leaking again.