westkane

60" WH Deck always scalps, assistance needed

westkane

I Have seemed to always battle with scalping on my 520 HC, with a 60" deck, C5-60SC01, then I come across a service bulletin Toro91-presGT #GT04 Anti-Scalp Rollers 60in Mower.pdf.  It describes putting wheels on the front of the deck instead of having skids.  I bought the unit Brand New in Warren, PA from Keys, which went out of business a year or so after buying the mower.  I love the 60" deck, mowing while backing up (my little Cub Cadet 2140 wont let you, as soon as you reverse it turns the mower deck off, I understand its supposed to be a safety feature, but it SUCKS!)  If you have any trees, you are always mowing backwards, unless you have a 360 turn mower.

If this was a service bulletin, should Toro/Wheel Horse let me know about this bulletin?  Just curious I guess.  If anyone has ideas, directions, PDF's of how to do a setup/deck level procedure I would greatly appreciate it.  I am also looking for some good quality pictures of the deck (Top and Bottom) of the deck itself, off the tractor, they would be greatly appreciated.  I think I am missing a deflector on the bottom of the deck near the chute, but I can't come up with a picture showing where it may go.  And a top view, because I don't think the deck was assembled correctly from the start way back when, because the assembly that attaches to the tractor looks skewed to the right.  In fact, I had to put Ultra High Molecular weight (UHMW) teflon to keep the front deck bracket from getting worn through because the right side arm was wearing through it.  It looks crooked and I would like to compare it to what a correctly assembled deck should look like.  I thank you in advance for any ideas, wisdom and guidance that anyone can provide me.  Thanks again from Kane PA   By the way, I don't know if its a '88 or '89,  the deck has additional numgers on the tag....10280 and 8081, and the actual tractor has a tag that has C120OE02  and 20089.  I suspect its a 1989.  Thanks again for any help.  I'd like to get the mower so it doesn't scalp now, as I had to take it off the tractor and replace the main lift bar on the tractor itself, the one side of the pivit point bar (the bar that attaches to the lift chain) snapped of, so I geuss its a good time to figure out what is wrong with the lift assy on top of the deck that causes it to rub metal on metal and why it looks crooked, or skewed to the right.  It does not look the same as the parts lists pictures on the various sites, thats why I'd like some good pictures of the top of the deck, as well as the bottom, and where the deflector may go.  Thanks again!

gwest_ca

Here is a later operator manual

The deck is a 1988 model and the tractor is 1989

Garry

• Like 1

westkane

Thank you!

• Like 1