Abe01

Good buy?

Abe01

Ok guys so here is the deal. I found an affordable wheel horse in texas! But I don't know if it's what I'm actually looking for. What the imediate  plans for it would be get it running and clearing some brush no trees but very thick native grasses/milkweed/ and some blood weeds (giant ragweed) and later use it to plow and disk a garden, remember I have never seen a :wh: in person so I'm vastly uneducated about the models, so on to the tractor. Owner states it is a b165 with a verticle shaft Twin cylinder BS that needs a starter, I can see from the pictures the rear fender section is fiber glass because one side is crushed, owner also states it is not hydrostatic transmission. Do these tractors have know weaknesses? It's going to see some prety strenuous work.....still looking for a much older tractor to restore lol thanks in advance guys!

T-Mo

The B-165 was made from 1980 to 1984, and was basically a lawn tractor.  It had the 16 hp twin cylinder Briggs, and if it's a gear drive, then it has a Peerless transmission.  If you are planning on working the way you say you are, then I would avoid it.  You need a garden tractor.  That's just my 2 cents worth.:twocents-02cents:

• Like 9

Abe01
8 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

The B-165 was made from 1980 to 1984, and was basically a lawn tractor.  It had the 16 hp twin cylinder Briggs, and if it's a gear drive, then it has a Peerless transmission.  If you are planning on working the way you say you are, then I would avoid it.  You need a garden tractor.  That's just my 2 cents worth.:twocents-02cents:

Thanks brother, that's exact what I was looking for, I have been dragging my feet to go look at it (2.5 hrs from me) because I had a good feeling that was the case but was having trouble finding info on the model.......I'm prety rough on them I bought a brand new Troy built super bronco and in the 6 years I had it I replaced the drive belt 5times and had to replace a deck spindle my wife thought worked to well (there's a good story there lol). I had only used older stronger garden tractors up to then I had no idea how economized they had become.

• Like 3

rmaynard

Dittos on what T-Mo said. You need a garden tractor, not a lawn tractor. Lawn tractors generally don't use many ground engaging accessories, whereas garden tractors are made for them. 

• Like 3

DougC

Try and leave some milk weed if you can. They are vital for the Monarch butterflies existence as they migrate from Mexico into the northern United States then back to Mexico to winter.      :)

Hope you find your :wh:. You can always buy from a :rs: member that would ship it to you.     Good luck!   :handgestures-thumbupright: 

monarch butterfly.jpg

• Like 4

953 nut
1 hour ago, DougC said:

Try and leave some milk weed if you can. They are vital for the Monarch butterflies existence as they migrate from Mexico into the northern United States then back to Mexico to winter.

Doug, thanks for mentioning that, we all need to protect our pollinates.

7 hours ago, Abe01 said:

still looking for a much older tractor to restore lol thanks in advance guys!

:twocents-02cents:    May want to think outside the box a little; If you have a Fastenal store near you they do a great job of store to store shipping at a much lower price than other methods. If a member here has something listed for sale in the classifieds and has a good reputation on here they may be willing and able to strap it to a pallet and deliver it to their local Fastenal for a nominal fee; You would have to make the arrangements and pay in advance, but it has worked well for lots of members here.

• Like 4

Texas Todd

I agree. I am also in North Texas and know the one you are talking about. It looked rough and if you did restore it, well you have a lawn mower.....

I PM'd you some info.

• Like 2

Abe01
41 minutes ago, HD-Horse said:

I agree. I am also in North Texas and know the one you are talking about. It looked rough and if you did restore it, well you have a lawn mower.....

I PM'd you some info.

He's got it down to $100, I knew It looked rough it's kinda why I was thinking about it ......wouldn't feel bad if I bent or cracked the frame or something REALLY BAD! I'm going to stay away from it since I need all the cash I can to get the wheel horse I really want!..... My dad has a mower that can probably handle it I just didn't want to fool with it.....it's prety rigged and if that thing caught fire out there it could get really bad really fast.

Texas Todd

I've never seen a fire extinguisher mod to a horse!! You could be a trendsetter!

• Like 2

TDF5G
On 9/14/2016 at 9:50 AM, T-Mo said:

:text-yeahthat: