clueless

Yes, I have a problem.

elcamino/wheelhorse

If I had all the space you guys have ,I would be in hog heaven. The perfect house garage combination for me would be house size 1500 sq feet, garage would be 3000 sq ft with room for another 3000 sq ft. I wish.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: I see nothing but floor space...   :scratchead:

when are you gonna get some tractors in there?  :ychain:

IMG_3463.JPG

• Like 4

squonk

IMG_3463.thumb.JPG.6604646139f588d9bda80c1cca3d1673.JPG

There's enough room in there for Craig's magic shed and 25 more tractors! :teasing-poke:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 5

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Easily. 

608KEB
14 hours ago, squonk said:

IMG_3463.thumb.JPG.6604646139f588d9bda80c1cca3d1673.JPG

There's enough room in there for Craig's magic shed and 25 more tractors! :teasing-poke:

Craigs shed reminds me of the circus. 25 clowns would crawl out of a mini Car! I was wondering if he had a 3 level basement under that shed.

Edited by 608KEB
  • Like 5

jdleach

I have all kinds of room, except that it is chock full of machine tools.

Picture 005.jpg

• Like 8

ACman

:omg: , what I could with all those machinists tools (before the accident) , that is my dream shop . Oh how I miss the days of running my Unison O.D. grinder holding +or-.0005 . What that sucked but I sure learned a lot . Made tooling for Snap-On, Eaton , Ford , A.C. Delco spark plugs , Federal Screw Works , and many others . 

• Like 3

jdleach
20 hours ago, ACman said:

:omg: , what I could with all those machinists tools (before the accident) , that is my dream shop . Oh how I miss the days of running my Unison O.D. grinder holding +or-.0005 . What that sucked but I sure learned a lot . Made tooling for Snap-On, Eaton , Ford , A.C. Delco spark plugs , Federal Screw Works , and many others . 

I work for a small company presently that builds high-end CNC rotary tables and pallet systems. When I get on the universal cylindrical grinder, my usual tolerances are in the neighborhood of +/- 5 microns. Tables we make are accurate to around 3 arc seconds.

Machines in the Shop are all ones my family collected over the course of 70 years. Grandfather and his partner opened in 1946. No digital readouts here folks, so you best know about backlash to get anything accurate. Most of the stuff is cone-pulley/flat belt. They still do good work though, as long as you know how to run them. Problem is, most everyone under the age of 55 hasn't a clue. No green "Cycle Start" buttons.

• Like 4

woodchuckfarmer

Nothing like old school.      Wayne

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@jdleach That's quite a shop , would love to just go in and look. I love old equipment.

• Like 2

jdleach
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@jdleach That's quite a shop , would love to just go in and look. I love old equipment.

If you like "ancient", it would be right up your alley.

There are 4 lathes, three mills, a surface grinder, 2 shapers, three drill presses, a die filer, two upright, and one horizontal saws, two hydraulic presses, one Bliss punch press, couple wire feed welders, a TIG, and a very ancient Hobart "bomb" welder from 1937 (still use it on occasion). Other stuff too, such as sanders, scales, etc. Even have an aluminum casting room for green sand molding, although I didn't set it back up after I moved the Shop in 1998. All the stuff is there though. The machines are all American made, and date from around 1895 (one of the shapers) to 1978 when we got our last new lathe, a Rockwell. The "H" frame press in the center of the photo I picked up in the mid 1990s.

Almost everything is under power, and in operation, although I rarely use some things. The Bliss punch press hasn't been turned on since 1998, and the Westinghouse wire feed welder, one of the first made, hasn't been ran since the early 90s.

When I closed the doors in '98, didn't have the heart to scrap it. So I built a building and moved everything in. Wired most stuff up, installed a phase converter, hung lights, then locked the doors and moved. Didn't go back for about 9 years. Fortunately, my neighbors watched the place, and nobody messed with it. Began going out occasionally on the weekends a few years ago, and started to clean up and oil. Was out last weekend and mowed waist high weeds with the 312-8. Since the temperatures have moderated somewhat, will start going back regularly to get the property cleared of brush, wood cut, and get some of the things fixed that need attending to. Been rebuilding fluorescent lamps (many are from the 50s, and you just can't get that quality anymore, so I install new ballasts, strip, and paint them up), stringing more conduit, and try to get the molding room back in operation.

• Like 5

ACman

That's awesome @jdleach I'm only in my early 40s worked in a small machine shop in the late 90s . I was a hard finish grinder , then also got into grinding carbide :) . No digital readouts for me neither .  Old school all the way , for me anyway . 

• Like 3