chip61

Great deal!

chip61

When I got to Mathews today my neighbor called me over to see his latest acquisition. He got an old JD (MTD) riding mower, a 314-8 with 800 hours on it with a fairly new 42" deck. The paint on the deck is still bright red, and it has the reinforcing rod around it. The deck wheels still look new and the wheel bearings don't even have any play in them. The tractors look as if they have been sitting for a while, but the gas didn't smell old so all he did was put a battery in them and they started right up! And the price?? $30.00!!! 

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:roll:  That "great deal"...  :handgestures-thumbsup:

sounds like an understatement. 

• Like 1

JimD

No pictures?

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Chip what barn were the tractors hiding in? I thought all the deals in Va. disappeared a long time ago.

• Like 1

857 horse

JIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!   I knew it.....At least Chip is a local......We wont need a rope.......

What sells in the VA.....stayssssss   in the Va....

No poaching...          Why else are We called Virginia W/Horse Gentlemen...??

proceed men !!!!

Howard 857 Horse in VA

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

You did buy them .Right??

T-Mo
10 hours ago, chip61 said:

He got an old JD (MTD) riding mower-

?????Huh?  MTD has never built anything for JD.

Racinbob
29 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

?????Huh?  MTD has never built anything for JD.

Who builds the Junk Deeres they sell at the big box stores? By looking at them I would have said MTD too. :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

T-Mo

The John Deeres at the box stores are also sold at Deere dealerships, and are built in a John Deere plant in Greenville, Tennessee.  The higher quality John Deeres, the X series and the zero turns, are built in the John Deere plant in Horicon, Wisconsin.  The Tennessee plant used to build the John Deere built Sabres and Scotts mower up to the time the plant switch to the L series which debuted in 2002.  The earlier Scotts mowers were not built by John Deere, but the later ones were.  MTD has never built anything for John Deere, that is a myth started by those who don't know what they're talking about.  The L-series mowers that started the box store John Deeres used the original design from the John Deere built Sabre and Scotts mowers.  Take a look at a later built Sabre and it's almost identical to the first L-series.

As I said this myth was started those who don't know the facts and we shouldn't be spreading false information around.  It would be like saying that Toro used MTD to build the 200 series Wheel Horses.

• Like 1

ACman

:text-yeahthat: , even a JD dealer won't work on them . That's what erks me the most about Some JD owners (not pointing fingers  :teasing-poke:) . They think there's nothing but green and they tote around like that stuff don't break . Let me tell ya , I've worked on my fair share of green and yellow stuff . Most farmers around here do own Deere , and it's not by choice . It's because that's the closest dealer to them , so when there overpriced green thing breaks , they can get a part . These new Walmart size dealers are for the birds . Things were a lot better when every town had a dealer and a choice of what color they wanted to own. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 5

T-Mo
4 minutes ago, ACman said:

:text-yeahthat: , even a JD dealer won't work on them . That's what erks me the most about Some JD owners (not pointing fingers  :teasing-poke:) . They think there's nothing but green and they tote around like that stuff don't break . Let me tell ya , I've worked on my fair share of green and yellow stuff . Most farmers around here do own Deere , and it's not by choice . It's because that's the closest dealer to them , so when there overpriced green thing breaks , they can get a part . These new Walmart size dealers are for the birds . Things were a lot better when every town had a dealer and a choice of what color they wanted to own. :twocents-02cents:

John Deere dealers do work on them.  It's part of an agreement that the box stores made with John Deere.  But, the dealer will service those tractors they sold first, then those sold through Lowes and Home Depot.

Now let's get back on topic... Sorry for taking this thread so far off-topic.:text-imsorry:

• Like 3

Racinbob

I was one of them that was fooled T-Mo. But then again, I had no desire to research it. I just knew that they were no where near the quality of a 'real' John Deere. That's interesting. Thanks for setting things straight. :)

• Like 1

chip61
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:
59 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

The John Deeres at the box stores are also sold at Deere dealerships, and are built in a John Deere plant in Greenville, Tennessee.  The higher quality John Deeres, the X series and the zero turns, are built in the John Deere plant in Horicon, Wisconsin.  The Tennessee plant used to build the John Deere built Sabres and Scotts mower up to the time the plant switch to the L series which debuted in 2002.  The earlier Scotts mowers were not built by John Deere, but the later ones were.  MTD has never built anything for John Deere, that is a myth started by those who don't know what they're talking about.  The L-series mowers that started the box store John Deeres used the original design from the John Deere built Sabre and Scotts mowers.  Take a look at a later built Sabre and it's almost identical to the first L-series.

As I said this myth was started those who don't know the facts and we shouldn't be spreading false information around.  It would be like saying that Toro used MTD to build the 200 series Wheel Horses.

Sorry, didn't mean to start anything there. Learn something new every day!

• Like 3

T-Mo
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

I was one of them that was fooled T-Mo. But then again, I had no desire to research it. I just knew that they were no where near the quality of a 'real' John Deere. That's interesting. Thanks for setting things straight. :)

I agree with the quality statement.  I wouldn't buy one, myself.  Unfortunately they were built to compete with the Sears, MTDs, AYPs, etc. and were design for a limited lifetime cycle.  It's the "disposable" mentality among the consumers who drive this sort of thing nowadays.

• Like 2

Howie

:text-yeahthat: Just to get more market share!