jdleach

New C-175 Series I - Now the Work Begins

Howie

Since I worked in the screw manufacturing  industry a little info on the threads. They are rolled on the part, the diameter of the part or rod in this case would have

to have been around .212/.215 diameter. Diameter of part to be threaded is never the full size. the thread dies have the shape of the thread cut ir put on them,

bigger at the start end and taper  down so diameter comes out with adjustment on machine to make them gage correctly.  

Back to the restoration!:rolleyes:

• Like 2

jdleach

Thank you Howie.

In the old days at the shop, and in a lot of the older machine shop texts, it was referred to as thread crushing. 

I never worked with the technique. Always cut threads. 

Notice you live in Rochester. Will be up your way Friday for Mentone. Will spend the night at one of the local hotels.

Howie

I plan to go over for a while on Friday, may go back Sat also. I started working there as a 19 yr old kid, was there until April 2010. That phrase was a new one to me

as it was always refered to as rolling the threads. Machines changed got faster a little easier to setup. The process does move the metal around makes a stronger

thread. If sectioned one can see the grain structure in the part after etching in acid. I have taken a piece down and had the operator put threads on one end then

made a part like a battery hold down or something like that.

• Like 1

Tuneup

Short-cutted the C-125 and crimped all the wires. Now you have me wanting to get the iron out and spend the day in the garage. What the heck, I didn't work as a tech for 5 years for nothing. Thanks! :D

• Like 2

jdleach

Quick report:

ITS ALIVE!

After getting back from Mentone, I just had to see if I could finally get the C-175 to fire.

Put the new points in and gapped, put ends on the wires, installed the carb. with the CORRECT gasket and hardware, hooked up a rubber hose to a gas can, and the SOB lit off.

Runs like crap, but fires on both cylinders and, believe it or not, doesn't smoke.

Having issues with idle and carb. adjustment, so may have to go ahead and get another carburetor, but it would stay running. Took a lap around the yard, and the hydro appears to be strong.

I now have a living Wheel Horse C-175 beastie! Will report further tomorrow. Tired as hell after driving 155 miles, walking all around and spending quality time with all the folks at the swap meet, and shoe-horning a snow plow into the back of my Grand Cherokee after I bought it off a nice young man at the show.

• Like 3

19richie66

It's always nice to hear them run with no knock or smoke. Sounds like you are on the right track. 

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Yeah JD, go ahead and put a new carb on it. It looked great on the outside after you worked it over but still may have problems on the inside that leave the carburetor useless. I am glad to hear it's running and moving under its own power. Wbats the plan for today?

Also too, sounds like there is some question surrounding the throttle shaft clearance. That probably factors into your not being able to adjust the carburetor properly.

• Like 1

jdleach

Thank you all for the comments.

Actually Van, the clearance on the throttle shaft is tighter than on my 312-8, and the 312 runs pretty good. I am much more concerned with all the pitting on the carburetor's internal surfaces and passages. I think I will just go ahead, bite the bullet, and spring for a new carb. I haven't stinted on anything else, so I may as well not start now. I have been rather concerned since I got the 175 about how much I paid for it. Since I began the resurrection, and finding all the issues the machine has, I became more alarmed, thinking I may have really been peeled. The fact that it appears to have decent rings and hydro, my fears have been allayed somewhat. They were allayed further when I found a C-175 Twin Automatic at the show go for only $85 less than what I paid. The show tractor was a pretty sorry sight. It was missing the seat and fender pan, had a flat, and looked to have been slathered with a very poor rattle can paint job. Do not know if it ran or not.

Will probably tinker with the 175 later today, but I MUST mow the yard, and decide what to do about the tree branch on my garage roof.

Had a pleasant drive to Mentone, IN on Friday morning, spent some time at the show, and just generally relaxed and enjoyed not doing much of anything. At about 6:30 pm, wife and I decided to go back to Rochester, IN (about 14 miles to the west of Mentone) to check into our motel and get a bite to eat. On the way, I got a phone call from my daughter that a strong thunderstorm had moved through Columbus, and had broken several large branches from one of the trees in the yard, with one branch on the garage roof. Kinda put a bit of a damper on my mood. I do have insurance though, and my daughter said she couldn't see any damage, so I let it go, and just enjoyed the evening, and the rather soggy show on Saturday. After getting home, it doesn't look too bad. Garage looks OK, but I am afraid if I try to shift the branch myself, I could rip off the gutter. Will call the insurance company tomorrow to see what they will do. Had a storm last year that blew part of this tree down, along with all of another. Since they didn't strike any structures, State Farm wouldn't pony up a dime for the clean-up, or removal of the one damaged tree. Wonder if they will remove it now.

Wheel-N-It

They should this time. If not, I think I would shop for another insurance company.

• Like 1

jdleach

Was able to secure a few of the parts I needed for the 175 at Mentone over the weekend, but not all. Kelly Hollister was there, and I talked with him a bit. Said he had most, if not all the parts, so I will make a "shopping list" and PM him with my needs. 

Was able to secure a new condition 8" front rim from Kelly, along with a points cover, and spare hitch from a young fellow who had a boatload of parts on a trailer, and a decent 42" snow plow from another young man who had no need for it. The plow is usable as it is, but needs a few things to make it right. Will need to fabricate the rear axle mounts though. 

With the new rim, and when I get my order out to Kelly for a good front spindle, will be able to fix the worn out right front wheel. Besides the bearings being shot, the rim center tube is wallowed out. I already have the bearings, and now the rim. Was looking at the tractor this evening, and decided to not bother with removing the well-worn rubber and putting it on the new rim.

Sooo.... I just did a web search, found the best price, and ordered two brand spanking new Carlisle ribbed front tires. Will go ahead and tube them, getting the tubes locally.

Whenever I get the spindle from Kelly, will remove both front tires, scrap the wasted one, and have the other bead-blasted and painted. With that done, the new tubes, tires, bearings, and spindle will all be installed at once. Will have to time all this properly, as I don't want to have to shift the 175 around my crowded garage very much with the front end supported with a floor jack. :(

• Like 1

jdleach

Kelly Hollister has gotten back to me, and said he would check his stock of parts to see what he has. So that is taken care of.

I plan on taking a pile of pieces out to my machine shop this weekend to prep, and paint. These parts will include a pile of fasteners, the fender pan, drive belt cover, PTO pulley, and other pieces. Will also take the steel rod to make new battery hold-downs. Will leave these parts at the Shop till the following weekend for curing.

Thursday I get my new front tires, so I need to get the front rims to the sand-blaster Friday. Hopefully Kelly can get me a replacement front spindle in the next week or so.

Adjusted the carburetor this evening to see if I could get the engine to run smoother. Actually improved it markedly. No doubt part of the improvement is due to running the engine. At higher RPMs, the motor smooths out well, but at idle tends to run uneven and rough. While I may still get a new carb., I intend to get to NAPA Friday morning and get some new plug wires and end caps. I feel that a lot of my issues can be cured by that change alone. Once the new wires are fabricated and installed, will also check the timing to get it dead-on. It does start easy now, with just a throw of the choke till it fires, then slowly backing off as it warms.

While the tractor was idling, I actuated the hydraulic lift, and it works good. Have not detected any leaks so far, but may go ahead and replace the hoses as insurance.

One item I intend to address pretty damn quick, is the horrible exhaust leaks. The thing sounds like an over-rev'ed John Deere with no muffler. Too, the heat shields and muffler are loose. Not sure where the leaks are coming from. My luck, they are probably everywhere there is a joint.

• Like 4

Wheel-N-It

Sounds like your C-175 is getting better with every little turn of the wrench and screwdriver ! Wish you lived a little closer so I could see it in person :)

• Like 1

wrightorchid

Keep up the great reports!  Sounds like you are on the home stretch, and will be able to enjoy the fruits of all of this labor and money.

• Like 1

jdleach

Thanks Van, I wish you were closer too. No one around here cares a whit about any Wheel Horse. So, my work goes unnoticed. 

Oh well, I'll just report it here on the forum, where I know folks give a rat's sphincter. :D

Thank you Orchid. Ain't on the home stretch yet, but making progress little by little. Beginning to think "mission creep" has taken over. Keep finding things wrong, and deciding to repair others. This project may go through the winter. Either way, I know what I will have in the end, and it won't be a Big Box Store P.O.S. lawn rat.

Got a bit of a let-down today. My new ribbed front Carlisle tires came in, and guess what, they are made in China. Not a happy clam here in the Midwest. Will go ahead and use them, but intend to phone or write Carlisle to tell them how I feel about it. Will also watch these tires closely to see if they crack like the repro rubber pieces I have bought for my '49 Ford F-2. The rubber reproduction parts Dennis Carpenter made for years, is now made in China, and several of those parts have been molded with adulterated rubber. Dry rots in less than 2 years. Sent the last part back last year, and got a new one gratis. Carpenters makes good stuff, as long as it comes from their plant in North Carolina.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Dang, too bad about those new tires. I'm glad you mentioned it as yesterday I rolled the old Simplicity 728 into the shop to have a little winter project going. My dad bought the 728 when it was a year old and it's first riding mower I ever cut grass with. Anyway I think some new tires are in order for it and wanted to do the Carlisle AGs on the rear and tri ribs on the front. I may just use some cheap tires now if the Carlisles are made in china anyway. 

So much for that plan :unsure:

• Like 2

doc724

Hi JD

First, if you have not yet found the supplier of those rubber latches, the one for your machine were made by Southco.  They are a model 37 flexible rubber draw latch 070 series t-handle.  There are distributors around the US.  Actusinc also makes the same item.

Second, I actually started to read your "reconstruction" story here.  I am doing a similar exercise but with a C125 Automatic.  I think your machine was in worse shape than mine-however mine needs an engine rebuild of some sort.  It runs but smokes badly.  I only paid $250 for it with a deck so I guess I am only mildly disappointed.

I am doing a complete restoration and I am not nearly as far along as you.  I have put $700 in parts and welding labor into it and that still does not include tires and any motor work I will need to have done.  I keep telling myself "its a hobby" and it is not nearly as expensive as my other endeavor-cycling.  My goal is to get all the mechanicals (except. engine) restored and push the thing into the shed for the winter.

Rainy here today, I will snap a few pix for you and post later today.

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

doc,,,,cycling......like this

terra trike x30. my new to me ride.

Glenn

20160727_172135.jpg

now here is cycling

Glenn

20160625_192705.jpg

20160531_182108.jpg

• Like 4

doc724

Terra Trikes are cool and handle like a sports car.  Unfortunately they are heavy (by my standards) and so low to the ground that you are looking at the center of the axle of the cars as they pass you, but the seat is way more comfy than my racing saddle..  Maybe in a more controlled environment they would have a place in my stable, but here in MA, we have some of the worst divers in the nation (and the adjacent states are not all that much better), so being higher up and more visible to motorists is the tradeoff. 

• Like 3

doc724

JD, here are the before and after (to date) of the C125 restoration.  All the running gear is now installed but I have to recreate the wiring harness.  All the safety switches were replaced.  If you are interested in the OEM suppliers (not Toro), send me a PM.  Engine, as I said earlier, is the problem child.

Running boards, side panels, and fender need sanding and paint.  Hood had broken welds on one side which have been rewelded, but the hood is a little out of whack so I need to think about how to twist it a bit to get it close to perfect.  Rims are actually in much better condition than the last two restorations I did, but could use a refresh and of course tires

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

• Like 8

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Gents, question please. The front spindles, are they 1 inch like the 520 or 3/4? Just being curious on how it would handle a 2 stage snowblower,  just don't recall ever seeing a 2 stage mounted on a C175. 

Glenn

Wheel-N-It
2 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Gents, question please. The front spindles, are they 1 inch like the 520 or 3/4? Just being curious on how it would handle a 2 stage snowblower,  just don't recall ever seeing a 2 stage mounted on a C175. 

Glenn

Glenn, I'm guessing the spindles on your 175 are 3/4". I'm basing that guess on the 417 and 418 both having 3/4" spindles. Of course a 175 owner will know much better than I. 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
4 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Glenn, I'm guessing the spindles on your 175 are 3/4". I'm basing that guess on the 417 and 418 both having 3/4" spindles. Of course a 175 owner will know much better than I. 

I don't have a 175 yet, but I am looking and preparing. Thanks Van.

Glenn

• Like 1

19richie66

The 175 I have has 3/4" spindles. Its a 1980 model.

• Like 2

jdleach

Thanks all for the comments gents.

Just got back into town after a week in the deep south, Mississippi specifically, working on the installation of a huge pallet system for a new Cincinnati CNC mill. The mill is for machining Caterpillar diesels, from the V-8 all the way up to the V-24.

I am a worn out puppy. Will try to post replies to you all before the weekend is out.

• Like 2

jdleach

Well... didn't get many replies out. Just been too damn busy, and I am heading to Corinth, Mississippi again early Monday morning. :(

I did get to play a little with the 175 last night. Finally drained the tranny oil and changed the filter. Although the were a few bits of metal in the oil, more like a fine dust, I speculate that it is the leavings from when the tractor was new (seen this before), and nothing to worry about. The reason I say this is because I don't think the oil and filter has ever been changed. The oil had a dark color exactly like some I have seen that has been in use long after it should have been changed, and the filter is painted the exact shade of red as the rest of the tractor. Since this machine has obviously never been repainted, the filter must be original. Too, I scratched around on the filter and did not see any identifying marks or writing, just as one would expect from a factory installed part.

Although the oil was definitely long in tooth, it did not smell bad or appear burnt, just worn out.

Test drove the tractor and the hydro seems quite strong. Finally some good news!:banana-rock:  Before I was able to take a trip around the yard though, had to clean up the posts on the ammeter, as there was corrosion built up sufficiently to arc across to the mounting strap. Kept  blowing the 25 amp fuse.

Also tried to temporarily install the new drive belt, as the one on it was flapping around and making quite a racket. Unfortunately, Toro sent the local dealer the belt for the smaller C series tractors, instead of the shorter one for the big twins. Will get another on order when I get back.

Lastly, I did get this week in the mail, new wheel bearings for the 312-8 (noticed they looked sloppy when I did a service last weekend), and a copy of "Straight From The Horse's Mouth". So I have something to read in my spare time whilst down south.