oliver2-44

Any Turning Radius Improvement Ideas ?

oliver2-44

Many of us enjoy using our horses as workers, but there are some things to be said for newer models (gasp) :text-imsorry:  such as a much tighter turning radius.

Power steering improves turning with a heavy load, but doesn't improve turning radius.

So what could the Ponds have done (which leaves it to us today) to improvethe  turning radius on these wonderful machines. (and hopefully keep them close to original looking)

Has anybody ground the axle stops back & welded 2 fan gears together? 

Changed the pivot length of the part the tie rods connect to?

Changed to a steering gear setup from another tractor?

Added some kind of multiplier?

Don1977

What do you need with a tight turn in Texas with all the room down there. :ychain:

• Like 3

oliver2-44

Lots of turning  :auto-swerve:mowing around the rocks and cactus. Also have to turn sharp and run :auto-dirtbike: to avoid the rattle snakes

• Like 5

wallfish

My first thought would be to grind down the stops and add some length to the steering triangle thingy where the tie rods connect to get more travel. Just be careful it doesn't go too far and lock in position when turned all the way to either side.

What tractor are you working with? If it's a '62, the steering radius on those suck!

• Like 1

oliver2-44

I'm mainly thinking about my 312-8 and C series

DougC

If I'm not mistaken the 520H has a tighter turn radius than the 300 and 400 series. Mine both turn quite sharp. :)

• Like 1

dodge78

Look at a scissor lift.  They have a good turn radius

• Like 1

Pullstart

Turn brakes on the rear end!

• Like 1

Heatingman

Been thinking about doing something on the B-80. Noticed though that part of the problem is clearance to the mowing deck. Would need thinner or smaller front tires, or to space them out farther as well.

improving the amount of turn angle would be simple enough. Would just need to modify the actual tie rod mount on the spindles.

IMG_1115.jpeg

• Like 1

peter lena

@Heatingman like your detailing , since changing over to HEIM  JOINTS  at just about every related area , years ago , have no problems or failures . doing a related durability trial on clutch linkage ends , lever points , has resulted in zero failures , and solid / smooth reliability .  isn't that what you want ? even have a heim on that pto lever end , in place of the trunnion  joint ,  pete 

Heatingman
28 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Heatingman like your detailing , since changing over to HEIM  JOINTS  at just about every related area , years ago , have no problems or failures . doing a related durability trial on clutch linkage ends , lever points , has resulted in zero failures , and solid / smooth reliability .  isn't that what you want ? even have a heim on that pto lever end , in place of the trunnion  joint ,  pete 

Thanks. I though about, and even purchased a heim joint for the PTO lever. It definitely would reduce the slop a bit. Just have not got around to it. Have many irons in the fire, and its mowing season.

Spent most of last summer restoring this machine. Been enjoying just using it this year.

peter lena

@Heatingman   REMOVE TRUNDLE , 3/8x 24 die nut go over original threads , use cutting oil , note last photo m battery ground bolt start point to engine cable / frame area , enhances , ELECTRICAL RECTIFIER GROUNDING , also note  battery tender  plug in on choke cable . got plastic washers for sloppy lever start area at h/w store pull out drawer section , silicone grease , solid , smooth .   made my improvements to my 3 horses  , pete