SSman

520h

SSman

I'm going to look at a 1996 520h this afternoon with 500 hrs on it. It has no deck(kind of odd)but has a 2stage snowblower/wheel weights and chains. When asked,the woman simply said the mower deck "bit the dust". She wants $850 firm,it was $1000 firm a week or so ago. What should I look for/be aware of? Is it a good price? Will I be able to find a deck for it? I'd take any size deck,it doesn't have to be the 60".

• Like 2

elliot ness

Look for oil leaks on the motor, make sure it runs good with out the choke out, make sure one cylinder is not dead.[ they will run on one cylinder] look for rear leaks on the axle seals. and almost any 42 or 48 in deck for a c-series will work oh and so will a 60in deck. Good luck.:twocents-02cents:

• Like 4

Kurt-NEPA

In the northeast, that is a really nice price for a decent lower hour 520H and 2 stage.  As long as it is in good condition, I would go for it.  A nice 2 stage is worth $300-600 by itself.  I agree with elliot, make sure the engine is running as it should.  Onan's are expensive to repair.  Two stage blower are not to hard to repair.  Many will need auger shaft bearing and new idlers. 

48" decks are not too hard to come by.  60" are more rare and expensive, often only available with a tractor. 

My biggest question is what happened to the original deck.  I'd check to see if the seller still has it.  They can be repaired unless they are badly rusted out.

Let us know how you make out.

• Like 4

SSman

Showed up at the owners house. The type of people that seem to take extra care of EVERYTHING. It was in nice,but well used shape. Paint a little rough,seat has tears in it. The arm rests are missing. They said they had no idea they should've even been there. Dealer must have douped them on em. It fired up easily and seemed to purr like a kitten. The blower has been completely gone through/rebuilt,new bearings,drive chain,fresh paint. Very nice,ready for snow. I did notice the rear end wet with fluid,axle seals leaking. No notice of any oil leaks from the engine. I guess the woman was mowing one day,caught the edge of the 48" dech on a big root and really twisted it out of shape(bummer)so it was disposed of,as well as the black plastic belt guard and mule drive.  Wheel weights,tire chains/tires all in nice shape. They had 3 out of 4 hubcaps,missing one front one. Manuals for tractor/snowblower,but not deck.

Phone rang while I was there,another interested buyer. I shouted "it's already sold!".I hope I didn't overpay. I also hope his thing lasts me a while. Battled with the wife like crazy to get it. Oh,and they're delivering it 25 miles to my house

• Like 2

SSman

There's a 48" side discharge an hour from me with what seems to be very little use,still very shiny with factory stickers on it,mule frive and all belts for $325. Not sure how good that is? Guy says the deck new is $1600. Is that a decent price? I'll now be into this thing for around $1100 total. Still thinking though that the two stage is kinda rare(around here anyway)so I still might be in the positive. There's one other 520h or sale 1 1/2 hourse from me with 1000 hrs on it for $1600. It has the choice of 48 or 60 inch deck. Pretty sure he's way overpriced. 

• Like 2

oldredrider

If you don't get the deck, you will have regrets. $1100 is a great investment for years of service and fun.

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

I agree, go for the deck.  $325 is a good price for a nice deck.

Sounds like you got a really nice 520H with a blower.  Well Done.  If the rear axle seals are leaking, they are not hard to replace. 

:wwp:

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
  • Like 2

TDF5G

:wwp:  have fun with your new Horse!

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

SSman

Man....after hours and hours of battling my wife about it....I had to pass on it. DEVASTATED doesn't even describe how I feel right now. She just doesn't get it. It has already sold to someone else.

• Like 1

WHX??

:(Sorry for your loss... Make her hand shovel the driveway.

• Like 1

SSman

Yea....I know. With a spoon!

• Like 3

TDF5G

There'll be another one come along!  Keep your eyes and ears open.

• Like 1

SSman

I'm gonna try,but I don't know. That was a nice year,1996. Anniversary year. Oh well,the search continues I guess. Hope I find another 2stage 44" snowblower too. That'll be the tough part!

• Like 2

elliot ness

I guess I am the most fortunate collector I know, as long as it make me happy, my wife says get it. But I do understand not all things are equal, and I hope in the near future you get another chance to get a great wheel horse tractor.

WHX??
2 hours ago, TDF5G said:

There'll be another one come along!

A new to me wife or 520???

• Like 2

SSman

Lol....HHHMMMMMM??

You are absolutely fortunate. I'm trying to get my hands on ONE and can't. Just can't convince her the old tractors are light years better than the new,box store garbage of today. Guess it's hard to convince someone that doesn't have real,true knowlegde of the subject. 

• Like 1

TDF5G

For what it's worth with your argument, I've got a 1977 B-80 that I purchased in 1994 and I've used it every summer to mow and every winter to push snow since, including other duties such as pulling carts, rollers, spreaders, etc. I've had no major problems at all.  Replaced the seat twice.  Deck belt and pulley box belt got replaced once.  The mower deck finally rusted out beyond practical repair and it got replaced with a good used one just last summer.  I've kept it maintained and I expect many more years of faithful service.  

Long live :wh:

SSman

I've argued up,down and all around till "red" in the face about why it's such a great idea to add a reliable,tough as steel WH to the family. My grandfather bought some model 8hp WH brand new in 1975. Worked he HECK out of it,snowblowing,rototilling,hauling trees out of the woods,etc. Very,very little in the way of maintenance and repairs. Grampa has long since passed,and my uncle is STILL mowing 3 acres up in NH with it,no problem. Impressive. I'm sold!

• Like 1

Ken B

I can see how if you are using "house money" the wife has some say over how money is spent. However, if you save up some money on the side that eliminates her opinion entirely. (IMHO) I've been with my wife for thirty years now, trust me, she'll get over it.   Besides, I'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission but quite honestly in most cases I don't ask for either...:ROTF:

• Like 3

wallfish
1 hour ago, Ken B said:

I can see how if you are using "house money" the wife has some say over how money is spent. However, if you save up some money on the side that eliminates her opinion entirely. (IMHO) I've been with my wife for thirty years now, trust me, she'll get over it.   Besides, I'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission but quite honestly in most cases I don't ask for either...:ROTF:

I'm with Ken on this one.

SSman

Was probably part of the issue. House money. That and I do suppose i've run her slightly into the nuthouse with all the dirtbikes,snowmobiles,motorcycles,vehicles,etc that i've bombarded us with over the years. She's seeing the fire in my eyes for these particular tractors already and thinking this is the next obsession to hit our household. Not siding with her AT ALL,but I get it....kinda.

• Like 1

wallfish

Ah Ha, you've already used up your B.S. pass! That explains it

• Like 3

SSman

Oh....about a thousand times already. Mmmhhhmmm.

• Like 1

Ken B
22 hours ago, SSman said:

Was probably part of the issue. House money. That and I do suppose i've run her slightly into the nuthouse with all the dirtbikes,snowmobiles,motorcycles,vehicles,etc that i've bombarded us with over the years. She's seeing the fire in my eyes for these particular tractors already and thinking this is the next obsession to hit our household. Not siding with her AT ALL,but I get it....kinda.

I've done the same thing here for many yrs. with different things constantly coming and going which is in part a good way to confuse the wife, my advice there is don't let up.. My wife has no idea whats new or what has been here for a long time, nor does she know how much I have of anything which was all part of the training program that began many yrs ago!:ROTF:. The only time I hear any beef is if things start to look "sloppy" around the yard, which is good because I'm not into that either..

• Like 2