jdleach

Dropped my Deck

jdleach

Literally dropped my 42" deck whilst mowing grass this evening. Was mowing around the maple trees when I heard some odd clanks and belt noises. Nothing loud or serious sounding, just different. Got another 30 feet and heard some rather ugly squealing. Looked down and found that the deck was being drug around by the belt and pushed by the rear wheels. WTF!

Short story is that when I scraped and hosed out the underside of the deck last week, I neglected to make sure the locking wheel on the Tach-Matic had fully sprung back, and so locked the swinging hooks that hold the deck bar secure. 

Thing is, I was almost done with the yard when it finally fell off. Never had that happen to me before.

Nothing was harmed, other than my feelings and pride. As Bugs Bunny would say: "What a maroon!"

Sorry about the double post, but I got some weird configuration error just now. Got one earlier this evening when I first logged onto Red Square.

Hmmm.

Edited by jdleach
  • Like 8

Ed Kennell

:scared-eek:      Sounds scary.     Probably good the belt didn't break and launch you out over the deck.

• Like 4

muz123

Never heard of that happening before! I cant believe the belt was pulling the deck!! I don't get it. lol. :huh:

• Like 2

Don1977

I had it to happen twice last week. I think the spring is weak on the Tac-a-matic, as I know it was locked in place. The second time I pinned the latch. It's not much fun 

attaching a 48" deck in the yard.

• Like 4

squonk

I had the carrier bolts with the spacers come out of the deck once. That's even worse because you lose parts! 

65051861.jpg

• Like 5

elliot ness

I had that happen on my C195, with a 60in. deck, it turned out that the tack matic was worn bad, so I rebuilt it using one from a scrap tractor,

• Like 1

doc724

I had that happen several years when was transporting the deck to the shed for winter storage.  The drive belt was not attached.  The deck dropped and before I knew it, I drove right over it.  I was not a happy camper :-(

• Like 2

jdleach

The thing I was not aware of, and should have been, is to make sure the locking disc and pin had fully retracted, thus preventing the hook from swinging open. The spring for the lock pin is probably getting a little weak, and at some point I will likely replace it.

The bigger problem though, is that I am pretty anal about keeping my tractor clean. The occasional washing has no doubt removed the lubricant from the pin, and made it harder for the spring to overcome the increased friction. Going forward, I intend to be a little more diligent about getting some lubricant on my Tach-Matic assemblies so as to keep them free. Don't want to be like Doc and run over my deck. Neighbors would surely not take kindly to my emitting a large blue cloud of profanity over the neighborhood.

• Like 2

DougC

Sounds to me like it was more of a wear problem than operator error. I bet you didn't do anything different than you normally do and it never came loose before.  :)

I always like these type of stories because I have entertained my neighbors for years with my goofs and colorful profanity stream that follows the loud noise and terrifying scream.........Some of my neighbors kept a chair by the window so they could watch the show when I was out in the yard in the late '60's and early '70's   :lol:

I once picked up a push type lawn mower that I had been pulling on and wouldn't start and threw it about 10 feet a month after I bought my first house.........

The neighbors never did get used to me..........:ROTF:

062408nosyneighbor01.jpg

• Like 2

squonk
23 minutes ago, DougC said:

Sounds to me like it was more of a wear problem than operator error. I bet you didn't do anything different than you normally do and it never came loose before.  :)

I once picked up a push type lawn mower that I had been pulling on and wouldn't start and threw it about 10 feet a month after I bought my first house.........

And then it started! :banana-wrench:

• Like 1

Texas Todd

Gremlin bell......

Huntemcd

I've had this happen but I stopped right away. 

Don1977

I mowed again today the deck didn't drop off.

SAM_0641.jpg

• Like 2