davehc

Rear end swap ?

davehc

New to the site , and have a question about a project I am considering , depending on this .  Can I put the rear end from a C-81 Eight Speed  , into a 312-A that I believe is a 1987  ? Or would it be worth the trouble ? Reason for the swap is , I have both tractors available , but the 312-A has a bad trans , and the C-81 has a good one , and the 312-A is in much better condition for my project .

Thanks

doc724

As long as you swap everything that is needed to turn a hydro into an eight speed (linkage, springs, safety switches and wiring, clutch and brake pedals and rods etc everything should work.  Hubs may have to change manual trans may be 1.125 axles, hydro may be 1.00 axles.  Take lots of pictures.  Not a trivial swap but certainly do-able

• Like 2

benji756

:banana-rock::text-welcomeconfetti: always nice to see a new member here, i worked at uniloy in manchester until they closed

• Like 1

Racinbob

Like doc said, it's pretty cut and dry. You'll have some panels to deal with as well to accommodate the shifter levers. :)

• Like 1

Racinbob

It just hit me. The engine pulley as well as the tranny input pulley may be different diameters. No biggie but it will affect your belt length. Obviously easy to deal with by swapping pullies but maybe you could get a tad more speed out of the 8 speed.....:D

Ed Kennell

Seems less complicated to put the 301 in the C-81.    But then, I'm partial to the Cs.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Good to see another Michigander!

davehc

Thanks to everyone's input on this , as I expected you were very helpful .