Factory Dog

18 Auto transaxle reassembly

Factory Dog

I apologize for asking a question that has probably been asked a 1000 plus times, but I have been unable to locate a thread discussing how tight to torque the four bolts holding the differential cases to the bull gear.  My repair manual simply states "tighten all bolts securely in sequence".  Is that ft. lbs. securely, or newton meter securely?  Seriously though, I know that bolts torqued below their specified limits can shear off or fail from fatigue forces.   I have torn apart several damaged D transaxles to find that everyone of their demise was the result of one of these bolts failing.  I was wondering if one of the D experts could direct me to an existing discussion of this matter, or give me some guidance.  Thanks!!

• Like 2

Factory Dog

Thank you sir, that is what I needed! 

stevebo

Factory Dog-

I have been through that rear end twice on mine due to that darn parking pawl and the unhardened bolts. I would HIGHLY suggest that you upgrade those 4 bolts if you have not done so. That was a weak point from the auto 18 through the 1976 models. At that point they upgraded to a grade 8 bolt. When those bolts shear the heads off you are looking at about a 100% chance of that bolt dropping to the bottom of the case and getting caught between the bull gear and breaking the case. I would suggest you upgrade to a grade 9 and also put a mechanical stop on that pawl lever so it does not engage. 

• Like 2

Factory Dog

Thanks, I will look into the specs on higher grade bolts.  I had to disassemble four old rear ends to find one good parking pawl, the other three had either missing teeth or were worn down from riding on the gear.  I like the idea of installing a stop.   The three transaxles with broken bolts destroyed the casing just like you pointed out.  It would probably be wise to install new bolts any time one has the backend apart. 

• Like 2

stevebo

The pawl will break the gears when engaged and you forget and drive forward. It is not enough to hold back that power. When I sold mine a few years back I told the new owner "do not use the parking break, do not use the parking brake, do not use the parking brake". I said it at least 3 times in a row to get my point across. 

"D"- Man

Ken, keep in mind the ring gear {part#101622} and the two end caps {part #101621} that were on the 18 Automatics which used the 5/16" bolts, probably should not be bored oversized to accommodate 3/8" bolts; but, rather replaced with part #'s 105060 and 105061 as these were a little beefier in these areas.  One other benefit to the 3/8" parts, is the larger openings in the end caps, perhaps for greater lubrication to the pinion gears.

P.S. I am not saying it could not be done, I personally would not do it,: but, as you know my set up is for duals.

IMG_20160718_230312105.jpg

• Like 1

Factory Dog

Stevebo,  I noticed that the steel plate in front of the seat which locks the parking break lever in place was broken and would not have been able to hold the lever in the unlock position.  I wonder if that was what destroyed the original rear end?  When I picked her up the owner had already thrown another used rear end under her.  This replacement had a sheared key on the gear the pawl engages, so it did not work either.  For now I will put a bolt through the plate so the brake can't engage.  Thanks!

23 Auto,  I am at a crossroad at this point and not sure what I am going to do.  Due to the life changing events of the recent years, coupled with all the demands presently on this aging dog,  I am not sure if I will be keeping the old girl (18 auto).  I still need to restore my wife's electro 12, my Grandpas F14, an Advance Rumley steam engine, along with everyday stuff on the farm.  The rear end is on the bench ready for reassembly, but I really think it would probably be best to upgrade to the heavier components even if I decide to sell her.  I am assuming these parts are no longer available and I will have to find another parts rear end.  I will do some searching around and her set another week.  Thanks!!!

Edited by Factory Dog
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

Two new to me pieces of info this morning:

" weak point from the auto 18 through the 1976 models."

and 

"grade 9" bolts!

I manage a hardware store and I've never heard of "grade 9"!  I will have to keep an eye out!

So only the "Automatic18"s and Ds up to 76 have this issue and the parking brake should never be used?  Later models were improved?

pfrederi

Grade 9 is what I put in my D200

gr9.JPG

• Like 1

"D"- Man
On 7/18/2016 at 11:15 PM, 23 Automatic LSE said:

Ken, keep in mind the ring gear {part#101622} and the two end caps {part #101621} that were on the 18 Automatics which used the 5/16" bolts, probably should not be bored oversized to accommodate 3/8" bolts; but, rather replaced with part #'s 105060 and 105061 as these were a little beefier in these areas.  One other benefit to the 3/8" parts, is the larger openings in the end caps, perhaps for greater lubrication to the pinion gears.

P.S. I am not saying it could not be done, I personally would not do it,: but, as you know my set up is for duals.

IMG_20160718_230312105.jpg

Thought I would do a side by side of the end cap from an 18 Automatic (top) to an end cap from a D-180 (bottom) to illustrate the difference in the size of the openings for lubrication of the pinion/axle gears.

Please notice the "U" shaped cut-outs at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 o-clock on the end cap in the lowest picture vs the little round holes in the top end cap at 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 o-clock.

P.S. You may have to click on the image in order to enlarge.

IMG_20160731_105455.jpg

Factory Dog

Thanks for the pictures!  I have never seen the later assembly.  I found some information on the shear rating for grade 8 bolts.  It appears that the 5/16 has a shear rating of around 6,980 lbs. while the 3/8 is rated around 10,050 lbs., which is a very significant difference.  I am not sure what the grade 9s are rated at?  The bolts I removed from the ring gear assembly showed extensive wear.  The 3/8 bolts would provide a much greater wear surface along with the increased strength.  I am going to be very busy for the next couple of months, but I will try to make some calls and see what I can round up.  Thanks again for everyone's input!

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

If your going to use grade 8 bolts,get grade 8 nuts also.

• Like 2

Factory Dog

Thanks, that is an extremely important point that some folks may not be aware of.

Factory Dog

It has been almost a year now since I started to reassemble the rear differential of my 18 Auto and it still sitting on my bench.  A fellow should never rush to quickly into anything!  During that time I did finally find a flush drain plug through McMaster-Carr.  As it turned out these were not standard 1/4" pipe plugs, but are what they call a flush fitting plug that has a 7/8" taper that differs from a standard plug.  They were only 60 cents a piece, but cost $3 for shipping.  I also ordered all new seals for the hydro manifold.  I also found that Motion Industries does carry a single lip rotary seal that is a replacement for the old parking pawl seal, it fit perfectly. 

At this time I still am not sure if I will keep her, but it is time to get her back together and running.  There is a local gentleman who is interested in her, but I would only sell her to someone whom I know will taker care of her.  If I can find the parts I will upgrade the rear end differential, otherwise I will reassemble her using the older style having the 5/16" bolts.  The gears I have are actually in excellent condition. 

I will probably have some questions when I start putting her back together, in fact there is one I already have.  Does anyone know where the relief valve kit goes, or if the 18 Auto even had one.  I have a couple extra valves, and am not sure if one of them had been pulled off of this tractor?  :unsure:

• Like 2

pfrederi

There are two relief valves, a charge pump relief and an implement relief.  Both are in the pump housing.

• Like 1

Factory Dog

Ooops! Sorry Pfrederi, I am referring to a remote set of relief valves that are contained in a box approximately 5" long, 3" tall, and 1-1/2" deep.  It is shown in my 1975 D manual as item number 4-110.  I don't have a clue what it is for.  If I get some time today I will try to take a photo, and see if my sweetie will help me get it on the computer.

pfrederi

That was a dampener assembly they used on some years.  It was to relieve the strain of people jerking from forward to reverse.  Early and late models did not have it.  There is a manual or TSB showing how to retrofit it.  i bought one but have never gotten around to installing it.  Take your time going from forward to reverse and you will not need it.

Edit it is Service Assembly 101678

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Factory Dog

Thanks Pfredre!  I will look the information over.  If I don't need it, I probably won't install it.  I am pretty easy on my equipment.

• Like 1

Factory Dog

Finally made the decision just to reassemble the original rear end.  From what I have seen the problem with the bolts breaking off has had more to do with the nuts loosening than the actual shear strength of the bolt.  The 3/8" bolts may buy the tractor more time, but eventually they will fail also.  I am ordering some 5/16" - 24 grade 8 bolts to replace the 5/16" - 18 grade 8 bolts I was originally going to reassemble her with.  I learned that the fine threaded bolts have less tendency to loosen because of the lower pitch thread, along with a greater load capacity because the threads are not cut as deep.  I also read in the supplier descriptions that the distorted-thread locknuts have greater gripping strength than nylon-insert locking nuts of the same grade.  So I chose some center-lock distorted-thread nuts.  I wanted to upgrade to grade 9 bolts, but I could not find any with fine threads.  I want to thank everyone for their input.

• Like 2

Factory Dog

Good Morning!  It has been over a year since I last worked on my beautiful little garage ornament, but I am going to try to get the transaxle reassembled today.  Before doing so, however, I was wondering if someone could  be so kind as to help put to rest a couple uncertainties I have.  First, does the threaded end of the bolts holding the pinion gear assembly together (depicted by yellow arrow in pic) face the hydraulic motor side of the case?  The exploded view provided by Wheel Horse shows the opposite, but I can't see any way that would work; there just isn't enough clearance.  Second, is there only one thrust washer in the transmission?  I can only find one in the parts listing and exploded view, and also only remember there being one when I disassembled it.  But I was a little unsure if there should have been some between the case and gears on the first shaft (depicted by red arrow in pic).  Thanks!

20180826_073210 (2).jpg

pfrederi

Yes the nuts go toward the hydro motor (Left) side  and yes only one thrust washer

tranny.JPG

• Like 1

Factory Dog

Thanks!  I got the trans-axle assembled, but I may have a problem.  It takes a lot of force to turn both axles in the forward direction together.  I cannot turn them by hand without putting the hubs on to give me something to grip.  Is this normal? 

20180826_164852.jpg

pfrederi

The hydro motor is providing resistance..you did lube it well before installation.??  You do not want the slippers moving much with out lubrication

• Like 1

Factory Dog

No, I didn't oil anything in the hydraulic motor.  I bad!!!  Guess I need to do a little more researching, I really don't have a clue how a hydraulic motor works.  Thanks for letting me know about that.  Does it explain how to do that in the repair manual?