ladyvstar02

Please help identify what model this is

ladyvstar02

Please help! We are stumped.  My dad purchased his old Wheel Horse back in the early 70's when we lived in Winimac IN. To my knowledge, it has never had major work done.  It has been in she'd for the last 20 years, which I believe was the last time it ran.  We are wanting to get it running again, but we are very confused. Please help us identify this one.

The first thing is it is an electric start, but has a 704 belt guard?

The Kohler motor is a K161s, which makes it a 7hp, electric motor, but the model number on the motor is 28522E.  The serial number plate on the mower says 54666.  Most all of the 7x4 series that we see have half height fout rests, and this has full size.

If anyone can help us find out exactly what we have, we would appreciate it! - Susan

20160704_125634.jpg

20160704_125612.jpg

20160704_125504.jpg

• Like 7

roadapples

I`m sure someone who knows will be along soon, in the meantime   :WRS:

• Like 1

dpriceute

Looks like a 701 to me

• Like 5

ladyvstar02

What is throwing us for a loop is that the 704 is for 7hp, 0=recoil start, 4=64.  But this has an electric start and the Kohler  motor seems to match the electric start ,  since it is a k161s    (s for electric start)  if it was a t, then that would match the recoil start.

One other thing, the rear wheels are 3 lug. I'm hoping  someone  here can help.  We want to get it running again.  Gas tank is totallydry, and looks clean.  We just picked up some new tires for the front.   This  tractor  has been in our family for 40 years.I know that it hasn't been started since my dad passed 20 years ago.  

Edited by ladyvstar02
  • Like 2

RedRanger

What you have here is a 701 with either a 704 belt guard or just the wrong decal.  Who knows why?  One or the other was swapped out years ago.

You have a 701 dash, 701 gas tank, 701 hood, 701 engine, 701 double starter pulley, 701 steering.

The only thing not 701 is the decal on the belt guard and seat.

Here is a picture from the net of a 704....notice all the differences.  704 has a different hood, different gas tank, round steering tie rods, different "angled" hood stand.

oldphotos227.jpg

The "Wheel Horse" on the side of the hood is not original either.  My bet is that your dad repainted the tractor at some time and put on new decals...maybe installed the 704 in error?

You also have 1961 foot rests.  One year only.  

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:   Glad to see a :wh: that will remain a member of the family.  :text-coolphotos:  Agree, 701.

This download has your Owner's Manual and a list of confirmed serial numbers.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Susan :  It is a 701 -at least 90% of it is!  I have two 701 Wheel Horse tractors -here are some pics

012.JPG

018.JPG

011.JPG

019.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 5

AMC RULES

:WRS:

wrightorchid

This really should be in the regular tractor section, not the electrical one.  No big deal.  Looks like a nice tractor, and welcome.

BenTheWheelHorseMan
13 hours ago, ladyvstar02 said:

Please help! We are stumped.  My dad purchased his old Wheel Horse back in the early 70's when we lived in Winimac IN. To my knowledge, it has never had major work done.  It has been in she'd for the last 20 years, which I believe was the last time it ran.  We are wanting to get it running again, but we are very confused. Please help us identify this one.

The first thing is it is an electric start, but has a 704 belt guard?

The Kohler motor is a K161s, which makes it a 7hp, electric motor, but the model number on the motor is 28522E.  The serial number plate on the mower says 54666.  Most all of the 7x4 series that we see have half height fout rests, and this has full size.

If anyone can help us find out exactly what we have, we would appreciate it! - Susan

20160704_125634.jpg

20160704_125612.jpg

20160704_125504.jpg

I cannot help you with the tractor, but it is great to meet another winamac person on here. I am glad that you are saving the horse and keeping it in the family.

Edited by BenTheWheelHorseMan
  • Like 2

ladyvstar02

Thank you all for the feedback and for the warm welcome to this awesome group!

I was confused on the 701, since all of my research said the 0 was for recoil start. 

My dad purchased it in the early 70's when we lived on the Tippecanoe River in Winimac IN.  All of the family photo's show the 704 and the hood decals the same, and it was never repainted.

Matter of fact, the hood still has the "SOLD" in my dad's hand writing on the top in red marker from when he purchased it a the yard sale.  I remember that he had to go back to pick it up with the truck.

I'm glad to know what it is... and I thank you all for the help!  Now the bigger project.... Let's get it running again!

• Like 4

new2horses

Susan,

A little note on the number, for some unknown reason (at least to me) the 701 was an outlier on the numbering system. Your tractor still has the original engine and it has always been electric start. In later years the next to the last number did indeed indicate whether the machine was electric start, most of the time. Sometimes, it had something to do with the transmission, hydro, six speed etc. Confused, don't be it all made sense back in the early '60's!:text-lol:

• Like 4

wrightorchid

If you have any old pictures of it, they are always neat to see.  These tractors often played a pretty significant role in family life, and such.  

• Like 6