Bobhawk

Engine does not turn over.

Bobhawk

I have a 1973 wheel horse 1-0120 with an 8 horse kohler engine. I left key on from the last time I mowed with it.  I charged the battery and tried starting it, nothing. I tested the solenoid coming from the battery, 12 volts but nothing going to starter with key on. Changed solenoid, same thing. 

image.png

953 nut

Take all of the battery cables off, one terminal at a time, and clean and re-tighten each one, grounds included. Also check the wire from the "S" terminal on your ignition switch and solenoid to be sure there is a good connection at each end. your wiring diagram should be in this manual.

squonk

Would not be surprised if you burnt the switch up internally leaving the key on. I know it wasn't in the start position but the rotating contact is used in all the ign on posistions

Edited by squonk

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:

2008-06-29 001 007.JPG

• Like 1

953 nut

Wouldn't a 1973 :wh: be a mag. or electronic ignition? shouldn't be a lot of current draw.

953 nut

Wouldn't a 1973 :wh: be a mag. or electronic ignition? shouldn't be a lot of current draw. @Bobhawk, take a small jumper wire from the battery "+" terminal to the small terminal on the solenoid, that should activate it and turn over the starter. We will eliminate potential problems as  we go along.

Bobhawk

I took a wire from the battery to to          solenoid and the starter turned over. 

• Like 1

squonk

My 73 :wh: 12 horse is a battery ign. with points.

953 nut
8 hours ago, Bobhawk said:

I took a wire from the battery to to          solenoid and the starter turned over. 

Good!    The solenoid and battery cables seem to be good.

Now move the same jumper still connected to the battery "+" to the "S" terminal on the ignition switch with the wire connected, should get the same result. If it turns over then the wire to the solenoid is also good. There are a couple of safety switches on this wire also, if the started won't turn over we will look at them.

Presuming it turned over, now place the jumper on the "B" terminal of the switch and turn the key to the start position. Let us know what happens.

1 hour ago, squonk said:

My 73 :wh: 12 horse is a battery ign. with points.

Mike, I was going by the ignition switch illustration and wiring diagram in the manual. A black wire to the coil is generally indicative of a solid state ignition system which is grounded to shut off the engine. Was yours a battery ignition from the factory? Most '69 and newer had solid state.

squonk
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Mike, I was going by the ignition switch illustration and wiring diagram in the manual. A black wire to the coil is generally indicative of a solid state ignition system which is grounded to shut off the engine. Was yours a battery ignition from the factory? Most '69 and newer had solid state.

Yes Mine is original except for the spark plug. Same with my C-160

• Like 1