ronhatch

42" SD DECK ISSUE

ronhatch

I've been working my way through several minor problems with my newly restored C-101 this mowing season. One of the last issues is the concentration and clumping of the grass clipping exiting from the deck discharge especial if the grass is a little long. I've been mowing every 4 days just to keep the clumping to a minimum.

I solved the same problem several years ago on my '66 B-10 AC by making a 6" cut in the top of the deck starting at the discharge opening and close to the front edge. I then bent the front edge forward about 3" and then welded a pie shaped piece of metal in the resulting 'V' gape. This opened the discharge which allowed the grass clipping to exit in a very nice fan pattern. Has anyone else solved this problem in a simpler way? Maybe adding 'wings' to the right/last blade?  

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 2

GlenPettit

Using 10 hp to drive a 42" deck is "pushing it";  under ideal conditions a 10 hp would cut and throw OK, but with long and/or moist grass, I think you are really pushing the upper capability of your tractor, especially with a 40-50 year old engine on it (probably loosing at least 2 hp with age, unless it was rebuilt recently).

•  Factory recommends up to 36" deck for 10hp, 42" for 12hp or higher, and I think a RD is slightly less demanding on power needs.  It takes about 4-5hp to run the tractor, the rest of the hp is available for the mower, and the more the better.

•  Your solutions would certainly help with the throw and are very good ideas. 

•  "Gator Blades" already have wings and cost about the same as regular blades (they don't manufacture the exact size Gator Blades for your 42" RD, but getting blades that are 1/4" shorter will work fine, the higher wings give you a lot of extra lift & pull, and best is to leave the original blades on at 90º so you have six blades total).

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 1

ronhatch

I don't know what the factory recommends, but my 10 HP Kohler does just fine power wise mowing my Kentucky Blue and Fine Fescue lawn in 2nd gear. I never mow when the grass is damp or up to my knees, plus  I keep the blades sharp and the deck clean, which all helps. My B10 AC and 102 CC also came with a 42" SD decks and they do well too. My round fender JD is a 8 HP and drives its 38" with no trouble. Years ago, when I was a teenager, a 5HP engine would drive a Cushman scooter to 50 MPH, Based on that, I would think 2HP could drive a garden tractor 2 1/2 to 3 MPH.

Power to drive the deck at speed is not the problem. As described in my original post, it's the concentration and resulting clumping of the grass exiting the discharge chute.

I was hoping for some ideas and/or solutions from other people that have had the same experience with their decks. Anybody??

Edited by ronhatch