ricksrj58

wheel horse generac alternator

ricksrj58

i picked up a nice 5000 watt generac alternator model 6511-1 for $60 at centre hall over the weekend.i was told i would need a 12 horse or larger to use it,is that right? it did not have a tractor mount with it so if any one can post a pic or two of the mount and how it adjusts the belt tension i can fab one up. thanks.. 

• Like 5

WHX??

This stuff came with a 520 I got awhile ago. The bracket on the right appears to get mounted on the front attachmatic mount and it runs right off the pto. I have no idea what the bracket on the left is for. I also have no idea what tensions the belt yet as I have not had the time to play with it yet. At 5 kw a 10 hp should run it but 12 would be better.

20151114_180202.jpg

20151114_180247.jpg

What tractor do you plan to use it on?

ricksrj58

i have a 310-8 i can put it on and use when i get a mount made.i also have a c-81 repowered with a 12 horse kohler but i need to put all the pto parts on it and not sure if i have what i need.

wheelhorseman

Not mine just some pictures that might help you outimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

squonk

Here's a Gen U Ine Generac on Marvin. with a home made mount. The bolt you see sticking out in the front goes thru a welded on nut for the tension I'll have that Jenny on my C-160 at the show. I  have run it on my 73 12 also.:)

IMG_0338_zpsa58b2763.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ricksrj58

Cool, i will have to look at it.

Bill Winn
On 6/6/2016 at 6:05 PM, squonk said:

Here's a Gen U Ine Generac on Marvin. with a home made mount. The bolt you see sticking out in the front goes thru a welded on nut for the tension I'll have that Jenny on my C-160 at the show. I  have run it on my 73 12 also.:)

IMG_0338_zpsa58b2763.jpg

That is a sharp paint job. Well done! I'm the new owner of a c-175 and I think I will put a lot more linen white on mine when I paint it. May I ask, did you body fill and block sand or did you just prime and shoot?

squonk

Just sanded to bare metal. 1 coat of etch primer, and 1 coat of primer sealer.

cschannuth
On 6/6/2016 at 11:56 AM, ricksrj58 said:

i have a 310-8 i can put it on and use when i get a mount made.i also have a c-81 repowered with a 12 horse kohler but i need to put all the pto parts on it and not sure if i have what i need.

I usually run my 3,000W on a 314-8 but my 6.5 HP Predator runs it easily. Plus it will run for hours on a gallon of gas. 02C419D3-9C05-4447-BEF8-97A20F3460F6.jpeg.da37a3f311365cbc6e5a86f7768b4c8b.jpeg

Handy Don
12 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

I usually run my 3,000W on a 314-8 but my 6.5 HP Predator runs it easily. Plus it will run for hours on a gallon of gas.

02C419D3-9C05-4447-BEF8-97A20F3460F6.jpeg.da37a3f311365cbc6e5a86f7768b4c8b.jpeg

Rule of thumb on generators is 2hp per 1000 watts.

• Like 1

Gregor
On 6/6/2016 at 5:05 PM, squonk said:

That is a nice looking set up. I don't know what I would do with a generator, but would like to have one anyway.

cschannuth
6 minutes ago, Gregor said:
On 6/6/2016 at 5:05 PM, squonk said:

That is a nice looking set up. I don't know what I would do with a generator, but would like to have one anyway.

You never know when you might need a generator but having the discipline to exercise the engine regularly to make sure it starts when you need it can be a challenge. Having one that is powered by a WH is nice because the tractor gets used regularly so it should start when needed. Plus it can install on any attach a matic tractor. I store my generator on a cheap 4 wheel dolly so it only takes about 60 seconds to roll it in to place, latch it in,  and hook it up. 

c-series don

Here’s my C-121 Automatic with 3000 watt generator 

0B435425-B6BD-41B1-BD1B-E80E6AD03E98.jpeg

20D7CF8B-3950-4464-AA84-79E05139EDCB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Gregor

I could buy my wife a 110V electric lawn mower, and follow her around the yard. :thumbs:

• Haha 3

Tuneup

With a gen, it's all about the loading. If you are bringing it on a picnic so the kids can keep their phones charged, an old 3HP Briggs would have been enough. The water heater? More power!

pfrederi
2 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

With a gen, it's all about the loading. If you are bringing it on a picnic so the kids can keep their phones charged, an old 3HP Briggs would have been enough. The water heater? More power!

I don't ever remember taking a generator on a picnic for that purpose...Times have changed...:P

I thought kids were supposed to run around and play at a picnic

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Tuneup

Definitely! I'm a flip phone owner - no phones on a picnic! That said, could any kids today be without them for more than an hour?

• Like 1

Handy Don
On 7/24/2021 at 9:54 AM, Tuneup said:

Definitely! I'm a flip phone owner - no phones on a picnic! That said, could any kids today be without them for more than an hour?

I'm only good for a few hours max between phone checkups and, frankly, I like having it nearby even if I'm not using it.