howell1000

drain plug gasket

WVHillbilly520H
19 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I am not positive on your transmission...about the closed and open  bolt

holes.  Usually the top bolt holes are open into the trans, and the bottom ones are closed.  There is a term for that, but it escapes me now.

Closed hole = "blind" hole which would use a "bottoming" tap  open hole= "through" hole which would be a starter or "gun" tap...and if you're going to remove transmission one could just "fill" the stripped hole with "weld"(have to be really careful with cast iron) redrill and tap is one of our long term fixes at work also there are better thread repair inserts on the market but you still have to drill bigger to install, "Gardsert" hardened thread inserts for 1, EZ LOK another, are some we use at work on industrial machinery,Jeff.

• Like 3

Racinbob

I think the term you're looking for is blind hole. I like the idea of re-tapping for 7/16". There's a lot of stress on those 4 bolts. I would do all 4 just so they are the same. I would open the case but if you're careful you should be fine not doing so. On the bottom blind holes start with a taper tap (left) and finish up with a bottoming tap (right).:)

Taps .JPG

Sorry WV, typing at the same time.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 5

WVHillbilly520H

It's all good great minds think alike:handgestures-thumbupright:.

• Like 2

Racinbob

If our minds think alike.....you should be very worried.....:wacko:

• Like 3

squonk

Smear grease on the drill and tap to catch the chips from going into the trans case. :)

• Like 5

WVHillbilly520H
46 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

If our minds think alike.....you should be very worried.....:wacko:

Hey you never know what a hillbilly might be contemplating...SBC engine swap for failing ONAN??? :think::auto-layrubber:...Jeff....now back to fixing those stripped trans threads...

IMAG0633.jpg

IMAG2069.jpg

• Like 4

squonk

You might have to trim the hood just a smidge! :)

• Like 4

stevasaurus

That's what I like about this site...we all have each others back...and I think it is safe to say...those of us that are over 21...like beer. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I combined the 2 threads to make it 1.  Easier to understand.  :)

• Like 4

Racinbob

Having just recently turned 21 I'd agree. :orcs-cheers:

• Like 5

JPWH

Blind hole?. If you decide to try to tap the holes without a teardown at least use a shop vac as your drilling and tapping. I would tear it down for the repair but this would give you minimal protection.

Racinbob

Thinking about this, if you do decide to drill and tap it without opening it up I think you'll be OK. The bottom holes don't matter. Drilling and tapping the top holes will drop some debris inside no matter how careful you are. But, it will only be small shavings. If you flush it out good with diesel fuel a couple times before putting it to work you should be fine. :)

howell1000

Thanks guys its the top right hole if your sitting on it I dont have a good place right now to do alot of work .  How much would a half of case run??  and you think if I watch the oil level it could get me through summer till i can start a redo ?? 

WVHillbilly520H

I think if you used the Helicoil and Loctite and yes kept watch on the fluid and the other 3 were good and your yard isn't to bumpy and stressful on your frame, yeah you "should" be ok till complete tear down and fix, like I said before temporary fix at best but something is better than nothing,Jeff.

• Like 2

howell1000

Thanks jeff my yard is bumpy in spots I just dont want to get into something that will take along time to fix and my yard turns into a hay field were is the best place to pic up a Helicoil??

WVHillbilly520H

Auto parts stores, NAPA or Advance Auto and such, sometimes they come in a kit with the "chasing" tap and install tool too,Jeff.

Screenshot_2016-05-29-22-01-36.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

JimD
4 hours ago, howell1000 said:

Thanks guys its the top right hole if your sitting on it I dont have a good place right now to do alot of work .  How much would a half of case run??  and you think if I watch the oil level it could get me through summer till i can start a redo ?? 

PM Racinfool40 about the case half. He sells transmission parts. Or place a want ad in the classifieds.

Edited by JimD
  • Like 1

Racinbob

Now I'm befuzzled. :wacko: I was going with the flow on this thread without another trip to the garage to verify but I just had to check it this morning. I've got an open case out there (3900 & 3901) All four holes are blind. You're saying it's the top right hole so I'd say you's getting seepage from the hole where you install the shift stop balls/spring/pin. That's near the top right bolt. :)

Edited by Racinbob

howell1000

there is  four holes as i can tell i have not took anything apart to really look good two in  bottom two in top i took the one out of the left side to match up at store because i thought one was missing got home put the one on left back in went to put the one on right back in and nope would not even start i tried for half hour i would think it started and then it would just fall out.

• Like 1

Racinbob

You need to pull the tranny so you can get to things. I think you should drill and tap to 7/16" as I mentioned before. I took another look at the one I have open and there's plenty of meat there. Get the correct bit and you'll feel it bottom out. Taper tap then bottom tap. You won't have to worry about shavings. You'll need to drill out the holes in the frame plate too. Easy, peasy. :)

• Like 1

howell1000

Thanks i need to find time between mowing this is only tractor i have