DREW520

520h misfire

DREW520

bought a 520h used and all seems good but has random misfire when running, vac gauge drops from 10psi to 5psi and engine looses power. not sure were to start hoping no valve issue! only other issue is unit is very slow in reverse. new to the forum hope not a frequent question

daveoman1966

I had same symptoms and it was from a leaky intake manifold gasket....the rear one.

• Like 1

varosd

Welcome Drew!

like Dave stated, check manifold gasket

also make sure every ground wire is corrosion free, clean carb...then clean it again!

on the hydro, change out the tranny fluid, should be same dino oil that is in the engine.  make sure you change the hydro filter and do not use a oil filter..got a be a true hydro filter.

might as well change the engine oil and filter.

DREW520

Thanks for the reply still dealing with the issue, I checked the manifold gaskets and head gaskets. If you turn the throttle down some it will come out of it and you can turn it back up and it will run fine. inspected the hydro lever and found someone welded a clevis to the shifter and bolted it to the front of the lever. not sure how I'm going to fix the lever yet, I removed it and everything works like new. Only other issue have id the rod for the rear lift on the deck is broke in half. It still works just not sure how to remove the rod to weld it.

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, DREW520 said:

Thanks for the reply still dealing with the issue, I checked the manifold gaskets and head gaskets. If you turn the throttle down some it will come out of it and you can turn it back up and it will run fine. inspected the hydro lever and found someone welded a clevis to the shifter and bolted it to the front of the lever. not sure how I'm going to fix the lever yet, I removed it and everything works like new. Only other issue have id the rod for the rear lift on the deck is broke in half. It still works just not sure how to remove the rod to weld it.

Are you talking about the leveling rod on the deck? Should be a cotter or hair pin in the top 90° bend where it goes to the lift linkage and where the trunion goes into the gauge wheel support, I just made a new one posted under " leveling rod & trunion"...and then a picture of the shift linkage as it should be,Jeff.

IMAG2148.jpg

IMAG2067.jpg

• Like 1

DREW520

No the picture I need is for a floor shift. I think yours is for a celom shift. on the deck issue the  broken rod is for the arm with the chain attached, the rod on mine is broke in half and I'm not sure how you can remove it. I do greatly appreciate the time of sending the pictures though

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, DREW520 said:

No the picture I need is for a floor shift. I think yours is for a celom shift. on the deck issue the  broken rod is for the arm with the chain attached, the rod on mine is broke in half and I'm not sure how you can remove it. I do greatly appreciate the time of sending the pictures though

Ok in the picture with the shift linkage you can see the end of the "eye" bolt behind the big hairpin cotter ,that eye bolt is what holds the chain for the lift arm as long as the trunion isn't worn out or broken also ,all you need is a new "eye" bolt and nyloc nut, that "rock" shaft rotates up/down from the hydraulic ram to lift your mower deck, snow plows ect, a new short piece of chain and "clevis" to attach it, all can be had from a hardware store if you take your old/broken parts with you,Jeff.

Blue Delta
3 hours ago, DREW520 said:

DREW520, is there any chance that you can upload a picture of the offending lift bar?

DREW520

image.jpeg

Blue Delta

Thanks for the picture DREW520, now we are all on the same page. There is a part listed as a "pin-pivot" that runs inside that you will need to remove before the red lift bar can be removed. There are also is one retaining clip that hold the "pin-pivot" in which looks like they are on the outside of the chassis rail. I am not near my similar 416 to what clearances you have to work with (and the 416 does not have the "pin-pivot" like the 520.

It looks like the "pin-pivot" is still available but the "Bar-Lift" has been discontinued, yours looks thinner then the diagrams so maybe someone fitted the solid "Bar-Lift" from a 400 series (which is listed as available)? 

Edited by Blue Delta

cheesegrader

the lift bar may be discontinued, but I'm sure Kelly,Dave, or one of the other guys here that deals in used parts would be able to help.

The slow reverse issue is a simple adjustment

Look in the manual for the Eaton 1100 transmission, page 17.

Step-by-step on how to adjust the cam located under the seat.

Kurt-NEPA

Are you talking about the lift rods that looks like one of these?

Lift Bars.JPG

The one on the left has a broken rod.  They are held in by a cotter pin on one side, You can see it on the left broken bar.  Be careful there is a bushing on the rod that is easy to loose.

They show up on Ebay often.

I agree with cheesegrader, slow reverse is caused by an out of adjustment of the cam on top of the hdyro/transmission or perhaps one of the linkage rods.  Follow the manual, adjustment can be tricky the first time.

Edited by Kurt-NEPA

DREW520

thanks guys that is what I need, Wasn't sure how the rod came out and couldn't find anything online

image.jpeg

This rigged up shifter is the cause of the slow reverse, trying to figure out how I'm gonna fix it.