Sign in to follow this  
fordsonmajortom

Kohler 14 hp

fordsonmajortom

I tried to start my Kohler engine in my Raider 14 i have been rebuilding. It would fire a couple of times then stop , checked the points and gave them a clean and the was a spark when i opened and closed them with the ignition on. Then i noticed that the points were only just managing to close themselves, the springy steel bit had lost all it's springyness. Took them off and bent the spring a bit put it back together and now runs no problem.Will get a new set later on. I have never come across this problem before, it was running ok in the summer.

TT

It sounds like the trend we've all been seeing - higher prices and lower quality. :hide:

I just had a set of Kohler points pop the screw out of the nylon block (where the wire fastens) and the spring forced the wire out against the points cover. When it shorted out, it managed to burn up the ignition coil before it blew the main fuse.

bowtieguy

TT...I just put a new set of Kohler points in that little 7 hp (K-161)...the screw fell out of that little nylon block even before it was tight...glad it happened before I put the cover on.....says alot about OEM stuff, huh...China junk?