Sparky

The brand nobody loves.....

bds1984

I see where you are coming from now...  When you said fender, I was thinking a rear-engine rider of some variety.  

adsm08
2 hours ago, bds1984 said:

I see where you are coming from now...  When you said fender, I was thinking a rear-engine rider of some variety.  

Yeah, mechanically they are ok. The ones I messed with where mechanically identical to the JD I just got rid of, but the body was a cluster.

Lee1977

The reason I have no love for a Craftsman Is because I helped my neighbor work on mower back in the 60's. We could get parts for most other cheep brands at the local lawnmower shop put them back together and send them on their way. Sears always had some special parts that could only be bought from them that you had to order and wait two weeks for. My mother worked for Sears and could get a discount, but I never bought any lawn equipment from them.  My first purchase was C-120 - 8  Wheel Horse.

Edited by Lee1977

bds1984
On 6/11/2019 at 5:58 PM, Lee1977 said:

The reason I have no love for a Craftsman Is because I helped my neighbor work on mower back in the 60's. We could get parts for most other cheep brands at the local lawnmower shop put them back together and send them on their way. Sears always had some special parts that could only be bought from them that you had to order and wait two weeks for. My mother worked for Sears and could get a discount, but I never bought any lawn equipment from them.  My first purchase was C-120 - 8  Wheel Horse.

I have ran into that scenario before.  In the later years, the Husqvarna built machines were close enough that I could get parts needed from those dealers instead.  It still puzzles me today at how overly complicated the designs of Sears and John Deere garden tractors are compared to Wheel Horse of the same era.  With Craftsman mowers being manufactured by MTD, along with the vast majority of everything else, law mower shopping is pretty much summed up by "what color do I want" since they're all nearly identical which SHOULD make parts ordering easier.

T-Mo
7 hours ago, bds1984 said:

I have ran into that scenario before.  In the later years, the Husqvarna built machines were close enough that I could get parts needed from those dealers instead.  It still puzzles me today at how overly complicated the designs of Sears and John Deere garden tractors are compared to Wheel Horse of the same era.  With Craftsman mowers being manufactured by MTD, along with the vast majority of everything else, law mower shopping is pretty much summed up by "what color do I want" since they're all nearly identical which SHOULD make parts ordering easier.

Most Craftsman mowers are not made by MTD, but AYP (American Yard Products), who also makes Poulan and some Husqevarna models.

• Like 1

bds1984

The majority used to be up until early 2018.  Since Sears' bankruptcy in last year, I have seen less and less AYP products, and more that are made by MTD at the store here in Portage, MI.  

Sparky

It’s the start of the 20th season for my Craftsman GT3000! 
  Mowed twice this season, she’s running and mowing as good as it did when I got it 20 years ago.

3F7072F1-9732-4F79-9AFE-54ED8079A93D.jpeg

244FE308-0C5F-4D26-8F53-571AC1804CAE.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ohiofarmer
On 5/23/2019 at 7:55 AM, adsm08 said:

My grandfather had an MTD ride on, and one of my regular clients has a Yard Machine clone, specifically this piece of garbage:

original.jpg

The hood seam is just above the Yard Machine decal, and so access to anything on the size of the engine, like the carb or the starter, requires removing the fender, which wouldn't be so bad, that that also removes the hood support, so you can't really make adjustments, and then go test it, without putting it all back together.

kpinnc
On 5/11/2016 at 5:51 PM, Sparky said:

Got my Craftsman GT out of this shed this past weekend, gave it an oil-n-filter change, a new fuel filter and of course a bath. They get no respect but this one is about to take on its 16 season mowing for me.  

Mike, I bought one (non-servicable hydrostatic) for my mom back in 1992. Years later it came to my house because she had landscapers taking care of the mowing. When I moved 3 years ago, I gave it to my neighbor, and it's still mowing like a champ. Of course I would never put it through the same level of work that I would even put a 1960s model 8hp WH, but they dang sure do what they were built for very well!

I still can't believe that hydro still works!

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

@Sparky I used to have the same tractor. I got it off of CL. There was no picture, the listing was in the free section. All it said was ... " free riding mower, you move" So I emailed for the address. I went to pick it up and I saw it in the driveway. I didnt think it was the free tractor I thought they must be moving this one so I could get to the " free" one. Turns out that was the free one. Needed nothing. He was giving it away because his parents were moving out of state and he was getting their zero turn. As I was taking the deck off so I could get it in my truck the mother came over and asked if I wanted a snowblower too. So I got this tractor and an Ariens snowblower for free. Both working as they should. Gave the tractor to my mother but later she didnt want it because it was " to big " for her. I nicked named it " The Hulk" and got Hulk stickers and a Hulk key chain for it. I sold it for her and got her a smaller Craftsman rider. That Kohler twin is a beast. Plus the hi/low. I liked that tractor and would not mind paying for the next one !

20171026_123555_resized_1.jpg

20171026_123541_resized_1.jpg

20171026_123644_resized_1.jpg

20171026_123620_resized.jpg

• Thanks 1

Sparky

All cleaned up for the start of its 21st mowing season. This year it she earned a new fuel filter, cut open the old one to see how nasty it was. It was dirty but no weird stuff in it. 

75FEF775-DEB0-49E8-9F06-2E0C569B76FE.jpeg

0F3789EA-263E-4B27-B5A5-06EE9CD6459D.jpeg

D7625217-AA53-44E1-8477-F75114459FB2.jpeg

0991BBEA-CD58-4972-8E80-E6AE219606D2.jpeg

B731DF2C-C81A-419D-B59A-CCCB3840E2A5.jpeg

736C1E61-669E-4A72-82F3-6CA1AE6917E6.jpeg

70A8E406-985F-4263-A027-D72CBD5D99E1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

Still the wrong color after all these years…

:ychain:

Looking good!!! :eusa-clap:

• Haha 3

D_Mac

I told you I got one for free once. Great garden tractor. 22 hp Kohler Twin. Ran and sounded great. I used to call mine " THE HULK " I even got little decals and put them on next to the GT ones. Also put a HULK key chain on it. Those Big Green GT's are MONSTERS. One the flip side I also had a Craftsman LUV. Has anyone ever had one ? They have to be the worst POS ever produced. It was like sitting on top of a push mower. It would bend as I got on and off it. You could catch the clippings in the bag in the back, or leave the bag off and use it like a little pick up truck. Had such a small engine on it and cheaply made. But it did have a cup holder !! LUV = Lawn Utility Vehicle

Hulk.png

00W0W_f79XCt8uC8Y_600x450.jpg

00M0M_lSjm8x9SK3C_600x450.jpg

20140519_172349.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 1